follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-26-2020, 04:10 PM   #15
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Those rates seem pretty excessive. I'd drop down to 400lb springs F&R to start. Maybe go to adjustable swaybars and use those, and damping adjustments to dial in the balance of the car.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #16
supercharged680

Drives: 2015 GT3 , 2018 BRZ , 2007 S2K
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Totally understandable.

Have you let them know your complaints? Certainly they should be able to provide support for how you'd like the response of your coilover to be.
With that said- driving style is completely unique in some regards.

Imagione if you said " I want a FAST CAR" and someone gave you a big huge ass laggy turbo car with 900WHP. Ok, yeah, it's FAST. But you meant " I want to accelerate extremely quickly" so a small set of twin turbos or a supercharger would work better. or maybe a V8 engine swap?

My point being- they aren't completely at fault; how much have you exhausted the adjustability of the coilovers you received? They may respond much more favorably with a different ride height or rebound setting.
I'm not a guru, just an observer; I still think your bets chance for help lies within their support model. If it's an ineffective system, return them and make another purchase elsewhere

Thanks!

Yes you are right, they did help me interms of alignment settings and the car tire wear with a pyrometer was perfect and on point.

They have given me the ride height which i am using at the moment , 2 mm lower than where i had it ( nothing has changed )

Settings , 1 click does not make a difference even 2 or 3 , something is definitely wrong with this.

lets compare 2 different settings , theirs and mine.

Their setting

F Compression 6
F Rebound 10
R Compression 6
R Rebound 8

My settings

F Compression 1
F Rebound 6
R Compression 2
R Rebound 6

I have had 7 tenths quicker in a mid 1 minute track on my settings.

Last but not least , the car is bouncy in the front only which is a vague term whenever i have someone ride with me someone says its too stiff others say yes its bouncy because its soft. Very difficult to say.

What i feel is the front reacts differently from the rear on a given road surface or bump + series of bumps.

When i get 1 big bump or ride a curb its perfect, however multiple bumps the car has an excessive pitch in the front like it cannot absorb all the damping.

I have a feeling its a valving issue but how is it possible to prove to a " high end coilover manufacture " when their answer is " we have never had this problem before "
supercharged680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:30 AM   #17
marco_mc22

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would try softer springs, something like 8k 10k (450, 550), anyway never heard good reviews about those tires, I would use Direzza, 71r or PSC2 instead
marco_mc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 03:36 PM   #18
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged680 View Post
I am using Nankang NS2R 235/45 R17

Car only has the coilovers, nothing else.
Kind of a tall sidewall size, no? I run 235/40 R17 on 200tw tires to keep the tire/wheel height similar to stock.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:29 AM   #19
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Your spring rates are not too stiff, but it does seem like you bought european and/or japanese coilovers that are meant to run on butter smooth surfaces/track and only hit a curb once in a while (and a mild curb at that), but are running rather bumpy racetracks. Thats an important detail when choosing coilovers that a lot of people skip over. My wild guess would be that you got JRZs? I've ridden on one car with their pro1 here and on a bumpy track, they did not feel better than my way cheaper "taiwan rebrand" (as some like to call them) coilovers.

One thing though, you havent provided any video, and this might help. Some coilovers feel like the car is bouncing all over the place and that you would spin out if you stepped hard on it on corner exit or that it would understeer madly if you entered the corner faster, but is it actually the case? What you feel from a bounce indicates what the chassis is doing, but if your tires are keeping contact with the road it might not affect traction/balance as much as you think.

Quick edit: no way in hell a coilover alone is responsible for 3sec a lap on a 1min track on the same tires. My guess is that you are underdriving the car because you do not trust how it feels, and are driving much more assertive on the porsche since you do like how it feels.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (12-29-2020), supercharged680 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 03:11 PM   #20
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
I am using Nankang NS2R 235/45 R17

Car only has the coilovers, nothing else.
Your tire grip level and chosen spring rates are completely mismatched.

Try using a tire designed for the type of spring rates you've chosen, or lower the spring rate to match the tire.

Pitch, squat, and roll are not detracting from grip, and can be exploited. Look at how much body roll F1 cars have, when they have THAT much downforce and THAT little weight.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #21
CSG Mike

Quote:
Thanks!

Yes you are right, they did help me interms of alignment settings and the car tire wear with a pyrometer was perfect and on point.

They have given me the ride height which i am using at the moment , 2 mm lower than where i had it ( nothing has changed )

Settings , 1 click does not make a difference even 2 or 3 , something is definitely wrong with this.

lets compare 2 different settings , theirs and mine.

Their setting

F Compression 6
F Rebound 10
R Compression 6
R Rebound 8

My settings

F Compression 1
F Rebound 6
R Compression 2
R Rebound 6

Last but not least , the car is bouncy in the front only which is a vague term whenever i have someone ride with me someone says its too stiff others say yes its bouncy because its soft. Very difficult to say.

What i feel is the front reacts differently from the rear on a given road surface or bump + series of bumps.

When i get 1 big bump or ride a curb its perfect, however multiple bumps the car has an excessive pitch in the front like it cannot absorb all the damping.

I have a feeling its a valving issue but how is it possible to prove to a " high end coilover manufacture " when their answer is " we have never had this problem before "
Your settings lead me to believe that you like what you'er familiar with. Your type of setting, guessing based on the 3 letter name (of which there are several), will likely result in jacking, which is why the front feels vague and bouncy.

Have you considered hiring a local pro to dial in your dampers to the best of what is available within the current equipment?

I agree; something is not right with your setup.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:15 PM   #22
supercharged680

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Your tire grip level and chosen spring rates are completely mismatched.

Try using a tire designed for the type of spring rates you've chosen, or lower the spring rate to match the tire.

Pitch, squat, and roll are not detracting from grip, and can be exploited. Look at how much body roll F1 cars have, when they have THAT much downforce and THAT little weight.
I do not think the tire would do that 200 TW vs 100 TW , i highly doubt
Old 12-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #23
supercharged680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Your spring rates are not too stiff, but it does seem like you bought european and/or japanese coilovers that are meant to run on butter smooth surfaces/track and only hit a curb once in a while (and a mild curb at that), but are running rather bumpy racetracks. Thats an important detail when choosing coilovers that a lot of people skip over. My wild guess would be that you got JRZs? I've ridden on one car with their pro1 here and on a bumpy track, they did not feel better than my way cheaper "taiwan rebrand" (as some like to call them) coilovers.

One thing though, you havent provided any video, and this might help. Some coilovers feel like the car is bouncing all over the place and that you would spin out if you stepped hard on it on corner exit or that it would understeer madly if you entered the corner faster, but is it actually the case? What you feel from a bounce indicates what the chassis is doing, but if your tires are keeping contact with the road it might not affect traction/balance as much as you think.

Quick edit: no way in hell a coilover alone is responsible for 3sec a lap on a 1min track on the same tires. My guess is that you are underdriving the car because you do not trust how it feels, and are driving much more assertive on the porsche since you do like how it feels.

Hitting 1 big curb is fine however the car has excessive pitch at low speed compression is what i came to find.

The best setting on the road for it to ride ok but still very jerky , Max compression and lowest rebound.

Video attached, you can see how the car tends to lose grip , i am under driving the car indeed as you said because it does not have a clear tendency , it understeers or oversteers on the same corner and input.

Last edited by supercharged680; 12-29-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #24
supercharged680

Quote:
Your settings lead me to believe that you like what you'er familiar with. Your type of setting, guessing based on the 3 letter name (of which there are several), will likely result in jacking, which is why the front feels vague and bouncy.

Have you considered hiring a local pro to dial in your dampers to the best of what is available within the current equipment?

I agree; something is not right with your setup.
Unfortunately there are no local pros here.

Video uploaded, look what it does on the smooth long straight and how it suddenly loses grip
Old 12-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #25
supercharged680

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalpb View Post
Kind of a tall sidewall size, no? I run 235/40 R17 on 200tw tires to keep the tire/wheel height similar to stock.
Sorry i mistyped the tire size, it is a 235/40 R17
The Following User Says Thank You to supercharged680 For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 08:03 PM   #26
CSG Mike

Quote:
I do not think the tire would do that 200 TW vs 100 TW , i highly doubt
If you gauge tires by TW, you are unfortunately mistaken. Gauge the tire by its grip, not by its wear.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Grady (12-30-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 08:06 PM   #27
CSG Mike

Quote:
Hitting 1 big curb is fine however the car has excessive pitch at low speed compression is what i came to find.

The best setting on the road for it to ride ok but still very jerky , Max compression and lowest rebound.

Video attached, you can see how the car tends to lose grip , i am under driving the car indeed as you said because it does not have a clear tendency , it understeers or oversteers on the same corner and input.

All I can see is a very bouncy, very pushy car. I can't "see" pitch, because the car is bouncing so much.

Try backing all settings off to minimum, and see how it behaves.

Consider flying in a qualified pro to test and set up the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 02:47 AM   #28
supercharged680

Quote:
All I can see is a very bouncy, very pushy car. I can't "see" pitch, because the car is bouncing so much.

Try backing all settings off to minimum, and see how it behaves.

Consider flying in a qualified pro to test and set up the car.
I have done that,

Their setting

F Compression 6
F Rebound 10
R Compression 6
R Rebound 8

My settings

F Compression 1
F Rebound 6
R Compression 2
R Rebound 6

I felt more confident pushing the car but its still not where i want it to be, i will be uploading a video of me driving a GT86 cup running Tein SRC suspension and the car felt GREAT!