follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #29
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maybe Subaru can produce an FA24 variant with similar oiling improvements so we can actually have a reliable engine for the 2nd gen Twins.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:38 AM   #30
Chillemall

Drives: Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just read through this thread.

I may have missed it, but what do you use the car for?

I have been time attacking my NA 13 car for 5 years and i'm currently trying to sell... if it doesn't sell by winter, i am considering tossing a turbo on, and running lowish boost (like to be around 250-300hp)

The car has been super reliable all this time.. Its really only been a track car and prolly has 100+ HARD track days on it..

I keep seeing these threads about oiling issues, and it kind of spooks me. I run an oil cooler, and check/change oil after every weekend. I've seen folks try to use the remax (or whatever its called) pump and other things with little success, so i was considering just setting up my own dry sump system (I can easily make everything, i'm a welder/CADCAM/Fabricator by trade.)

I've really only seen Element go this route (Phil didn't seem to stick with it as he quickly went LS after the dry sump attempt, although he said that had more to do with munching gearboxes.

There is also the 86Factory Time Attack car, but i cant seem to find much info on their dry sump setup.

Long Story Short... if going dry sump, am I still going to see these oiling issues on the mains?

Short term goals with the car would be stock engine with mild turbo build low boost running e85 250-300hp (possible higher boost setting for 350ish) Hope i can keep the engine/gearbox alive for a season or two. (time attack is not super awful as you just do a few laps, and back in)

Then if it grenades, maybe do a forged build with a closed deck and shoot for 450-500hp and a Samsonas dogbox (i'd move to a full slick at this time anyway)

But if i'm going to have to rebuild the engine 3-4 times a year because of the oiling issues, i may as well just throw the FA20 in the dumpster and go k-series anyway..

Sorry for the long post/hijack.. Just curious what kind of abuse this car see's.
Old 10-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #31
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
@Chillemall Keeping the oil cool helps with pressure loss at the bearings, dry sump will only help if you are generating sustained high G forces. Since you already have an oil cooler that works for now, only the lateral and longitudinal loads are important. So to that effect, what tires and level of aero are you using or do you plan on using? That and the level of driving, putting the pedal down on the straights is not what damages the engine.

I've done time attack for 6 years now with roughtly the same amount of days as you, NA as well. Engine has also been rock solid (except for a head gasket that blew once). Coilpacks were a different story. Im also going to try FI before I go the K route I think, it makes more sense from a monetary sense. Also, I dont think you can get anything that competes with our car (after FI and proper aero setup) with the same amount of money. New ND miatas come close but are more expensive as a base, and harder to get power out of and porsches are too expensive. Everything else is too heavy and/or expensive (or old, or highly overprice because of the drift tax).
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
lamawithonel (10-17-2019), mrderp (10-18-2019), Ultramaroon (10-16-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #32
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,121 Times in 518 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
do you have another thread or info on the axles and hubs? (P/Ns?)

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #33
AT-JeffT

Drives: 14 BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@solidsnake11 how did you make that transmission? I have so many questions. How did you measure and figure out where to mate the bellhousings.
AT-JeffT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:27 AM   #34
solidsnake11

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Censored
solidsnake11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidsnake11 For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (11-22-2020)