follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-09-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ/86 vs 2017 Q60 RWD

What's going on 86/BRZ family!
I didn't spend much time writing this, the inspiration came from my friend's niece who first saw my BRZ and was very excited to see it and then years came by and she now has an FRS!

You're probably reading the title and was like....."Why would you compare these 2 cars"
Well because I have a Q60, and I started seeing more BRZs and 86s in town and I miss the car why? Because 95% of the time you guys are having a blast driving it!
And I just remembered all the times I had a blast driving my BRZ just like all you guys that currently drive one!
I thought I'd do a comparison, maybe you guys will move onto the Supra or C8 corvette or maybe a Porsche who knows!

But if you guys decide to move on I think the Q60 would also be a great step up as well!

Let's start off with the looks!
Both cars are 2 doors, and RWD (in my case) both cars are definitely a head turner!

The Q is a bit bigger and has a functional backseat and it is almost 1000 pounds heavier even with just RWD!

Now moving onto the driving/interior aspect of the car!
It's clear that these 2 cars took a different approach to the driving experience, the BRZ is clearly an all out very little compromise sports car! While the Q is more of a GT car, a little less engaging (No manuals for this car)
Every time I sat in the BRZ I knew I was in a sports car! It's the car that always begs to be driven I always felt bad not driving it when I should have!

Now when I sat in the Q60, WOW this is a very....nice car! The seats look nice even though I'm strongly not a fan of leather it does look very nice! The seats hold you although doesn't hug you and welcome you like the BRZ does as it holds you tight!
I don't have the red sport or the higher trim of the Q, it's the base model premium but even then....the interior is quite the upgrade! I'm not a big fan of the dual touch screens on the Q and the glossy finish on it because it reflects the sun and it gets into my eye but overall it is quite the upgrade interior wise!

Now comparing the 2 cars driving it, the Q60 comes with the VR30 (Baby GTR engine) twin turbos very small garrets

And the way they have the turbos mounted which is basically essentially right on the block and it's custom fitted (You can't buy an after market turbo and just drop it in there) the spool time is very quick and the torque hits HARD and FAST it's a very addictive feeling! It has plenty of low end torque to get you off the line real quick! But afterwards it does fall off and doesn't keep that strong pull!

The BRZ......man the more I think about this car the more I miss driving it!
You can see in the picture I was running the JDL kit with the GTX2867R. The Q60 has a lot more torque and hit boost earlier than the BRZ but man once the boost kicked in, the BRZ felt like it pulled a lot harder and faster all the way to the redline and if only it could go higher than 7400 RPM!

Combine that with the lighter weight, and the nimbleness of the car, it dances around cars as you switch lanes on the high way!

I might be biased since I miss the BRZ but that doesn't mean the Q doesn't handle well either, my only whine is that it came with an open diff
Once you put the car in sport mode, for a more aggressive gear shift and a stiffer steering feeling you also have a very fun car! The low end torque and the responsive turbos also puts a smile on my face!

Time has passed by, and I'm sure a lot of you guys are looking to upgrade to maybe a C8 or a Supra but I'd also say give the Q60 a chance!
The aftermarket is alive and well, not as big as the 86 community, but there's in the Q a few bolt ons and a tune and you'd easily be making as much if not more power than a red sport depending on how crazy you wanna go!

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask I most likely left out a lot of details but I was just typing on.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (08-11-2020), HachiRokuX (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 05:07 PM   #2
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Please stop the exclamation points. It hurts.

Otherwise yes it is true, they make some awesome cars more people should try out.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Is that Q twice as heavy as the BRZ.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:49 PM   #4
Alltezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post

Yes at least 1000 more pounds.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:03 AM   #5
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
And twice as much power and torque, and two more cylinders.

Yes brz doesn't stand a chance.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,041 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I applaud you for using " addictive" rather than "addicting". Thank you for coming back to leave praise for the car you replaced your BRZ with.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (08-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
Canadian Guy

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for the insight. I have been keeping an eye out on particular future cars as my BRZ gets older and older. Onto the 5th year now.
Canadian Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
evomike

Drives: frs
these cars with the turbos from R/T tuning are pretty fast cars.

https://www.rttuning.com/rt-turbos-f...0-q50-and-q60/
evomike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evomike For This Useful Post:
why? (08-13-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 05:22 PM   #9
Ernest72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
And twice as much power and torque, and two more cylinders.

Yes brz doesn't stand a chance.
Not saying a big heavy car with tons of power is not fun, and will certainly blow the doors off a BRZ, but the lightness of the BRZ is what makes that handling so good. But power is addicting.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:10 AM   #10
Alltezza

Oh wow
I didn't think this would get many replies, but I'm glad yall read it.
I don't remember or know how to reply to multiple people but I think this will work.

@evomike I was looking into turbo upgrades, but I don't think I would want to...drop the engine just to replace the turbos.

@Ernest72
@Mr.ac
Power is addicting, once you get some power....you just can't have enough

@DarkPira7e
Yeah man, I'm excited to see what the new generation will also be like in the next few years. I might pick up another one haha

@Canadian Guy
Yeah man give the Q60 a shot, if for some reason you need more room the Q50 isn't bad at all either, the 2018s has the nicer tail lights.
The Q50 and Q60 in my opinion (used) is a pretty good deal for the price and what you get.
If you're done with RWD, AWD is also a great deal since it uses essentially the same AWD system as the GTR they both use the "attesa" although the GTR probably uses the highest end one.
Or....you could wait for the new Nissan Z, it's apparently going to use the VR30 engine as well
The Following User Says Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
why? (08-13-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #11
Ernest72

@Ernest72
@Mr.ac
Power is addicting, once you get some power....you just can't have enough

I get it, but can you really use the power for DD and street driving. I mean I go on spirited mountain runs and I can follow cars with more than double the HP because you can only drive so fast on twisty roads, with other cars, cyclists and hikers.

For me it’s more fun to go through the gears on a BRZ than sit in 2nd gear in a Porsche GT3 (this happened last week). And yes on one straight he did a pull which was fun to hear from behind. But most of the time he can’t come close to using the power. I have an 04 WRX as well and barely use all that power. At some point more power does not mean as much.

This is mostly for people driving for fun, if you track/autox and compete power will be key.

I think you need a balance. I would rather have a lighter car will lower HP than a tank with tons of power. It just feels better. But yes the BRZ could use more torque.

Plus you could buy two BRZ and still have money for mods vs the Q60 red sport.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
why? (08-13-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #12
pallen

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I briefly looked at these. Very cool for what they are, but not what I was looking for. Its more of a luxury sedan that goes fast, which is great if that's what you want. I was after light, nimble and low, raw, old school sports car.
pallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:46 AM   #13
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Not saying a big heavy car with tons of power is not fun, and will certainly blow the doors off a BRZ, but the lightness of the BRZ is what makes that handling so good. But power is addicting.
And yet my '91 MR2 turbo makes more power and is lighter than my BRZ. Oh guess what? Out handles it too.

Brz still doesn't stand a chance.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (08-14-2020), why? (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #14
Alltezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallen View Post
I briefly looked at these. Very cool for what they are, but not what I was looking for. Its more of a luxury sedan that goes fast, which is great if that's what you want. I was after light, nimble and low, raw, old school sports car.

Haha I will say I do miss everything that you just said.
There's a bit of an aftermarket that can make this thing go pretty quick with just a few bolt ons.

I'd def give them a test drive if anyone has to part ways from the 86.