follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-23-2021, 01:23 AM   #5755
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynarun55 View Post
Thanks for all the info man. If I go the route of rebuilding this engine to OEM spec, and put the kit the back on...Do I risk blowing the engine out again ? I really thought I was going for the safest route running a JRSC with pump gas. Can someone from CSG comment on this ? I'm kinda dead in the water here , and I bet others would benefit from this info as well.
Get a good known running stock engine.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:28 AM   #5756
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
shit happens, and i m sure Zach left the closed loop fuel control active all range and started with no crazy timing... was just bad luck
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #5757
dynarun55

Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
First iteration for a Remote E-Tune is usually just you sitting in warm idle and logging or at most a 3K cruise light throttle. Doing a pull on first iteration is pretty rare. Can you clarify what you meant by "exploration"? usually you should stay at closed loop which is about 20-30% throttle until tuner says everything checked out and is safe.

By the sound of your engine it sounds more like spun bearing/rod knock which is more of an oil starvation issue that all FA20s have an issue with. Did you have an oil pressure gauge?
Yeah so I was going of Base map and iteration 1. So yeah did the base map after install exactly like you mentioned. Did the first pulls on the map after. And started hearing a slight rattle not long after. So yeah I guess i lost pressure. Just dont know why. Although mine had 100k miles on it, It never had any issues before.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
dynarun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #5758
dynarun55

Drives: 2015 midnight blue limited edition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Get a good known running stock engine.
The whole long block ?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
dynarun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dynarun55 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-23-2021)
Old 11-23-2021, 12:07 PM   #5759
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah so I was going of Base map and iteration 1. So yeah did the base map after install exactly like you mentioned. Did the first pulls on the map after. And started hearing a slight rattle not long after. So yeah I guess i lost pressure. Just dont know why. Although mine had 100k miles on it, It never had any issues before.
Spun rod bearing/Rod knock is like that, everything fine and then suddenly rod knock. But that kind of damage happens over time vs grenading the block and throwing a rod or rocker which happens instantly. So unfortunate, feel for you man just getting the kit and installed and it gave out. build back better!
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:42 AM   #5760
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
The tuning was going great.. Until I had mechanical issues with the engine. So I would still recommend them.
What was the root cause of the engine failure?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:44 AM   #5761
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,121 Times in 518 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone here added a oil temp sensor to the rotrex oil system? If so where did you put the sensor? Thinking about drilling a hole in the bottom of the reservoir and tapping it for a sensor with a gauge in the cabin.

Also if anyone is on the fence about the kswap you can run the jrsc kit on the k24 with about 800$ with of parts pretty easily.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
AllThePeat (12-03-2021), BrahmaBull1990 (11-28-2021), CSG Mike (11-30-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #5762
waifu_zn6

Drives: 2015
Garage
Thinking about installing this myself over the summer. Can anyone with experience tell me whats the difficulty on this install?

For reference, I've installed a header, front pipe, catback exhaust, and coilovers before. As for electronics, I've installed a headunit and a backup camera before.
waifu_zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #5763
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,140 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waifu_zn6 View Post
Thinking about installing this myself over the summer. Can anyone with experience tell me whats the difficulty on this install?

For reference, I've installed a header, front pipe, catback exhaust, and coilovers before. As for electronics, I've installed a headunit and a backup camera before.
I was pretty impressed with the kit, it has been refined over the years and contains everything you need (minus tools). If you're installing the oil cooler (JROC SC compatible version) at the same time (recommended) then you want to switch over to follow those instructions at the same time as it changes a few of the intercooler mounting instructions from the SC install.

The instructions are concise, and in hindsight say exactly what needs to be said. I would personally prefer more photos and a more verbose approach with additional tips that you would otherwise figure out on your own. Unfortunately too much information leaves more to be skipped or ignored so I understand why its trimmed to what it is. In hindsight, the instructions are solid, just read them very closely and comprehensively.

If you're comfortable working on/around the engine, its not bad at all. Download the manual from JR first and familiarize yourself with it to see if there's anything that feels out of your league. Make sure you have all the tools required, the oil cooler requires 27mm and 29mm sockets and wrenches which are oddballs for some. The "Special Tools Recommended" list is very, very handy to have on hand. (also Knipex pliers for general garage stuff, they're a little expensive but awesome and worth it, I used them many times during this install. I have a 6" and 12", Amazon has them).

You can never have enough zip ties. 4", 8", 12"... The kit includes a bunch, but then again I have a fetish for these little things... Extra body and bumper clips (various sized little round pop-button clips) are always handy, local Subaru dealer parts can get what you need.

Rerouting the valve cover vent line and the MAF wiring harness on the top of the engine is tight, so expect that to be awkward.

I used some clear silicone on the washer bottle fitments to ensure it doesn't leak.

Intercooler pipe fitment is pretty tight, they need to fit deep into the couplers and they damn near touch something on all sides as the route around the left and right sides of the bumper/headlight area. Keep the MAF piping section as low as reasonably possible and don't rotate MAF sensor tube forward to clear the hood liner, keep it right at 12 o'clock. Cut or remove the liner if there's clearance issues.

The IC couplers use typical screw-drive band clamps. Use a 7mm socket on low torque setting on a power drill if you want to drive them down faster. If you happen to "strip" one, its just the little housing deforming. I used 6" Knipex pliers to squeeze the housing a tad (don't crush it, the band still needs to fit in there) and tighten the crimp on the side just a tiny bit, viola, like new again.

On the supercharger itself, its easy to glaze over the diagram in the instructions and hook up the in/out oil lines backwards. All of the instructional photos are shown from the front looking aft as if you're standing in front of the car, however this CAD diagram is aft looking forward. The instructions call out 'in' and 'out', however it's not identified in a photo. I didn't see the thin "IN" and "OUT" engraving on the unit so looking at the diagram, assuming it was the same perspective, my lines went on backward, and resulted in an expensive test drive as I proceeded to sieze it into a $2300 paperweight. One panic attack, tow strap, and a phone call later, I had another unit on the way from JR. Don't do what I did.

I installed the oil cooler at the same time, and getting all the cooling lines
and IC piping through the driver side bumper/radiator area is tricky, but just take your time and you'll find a way to route things so they remain relaxed.

If you have the ability to take your time, do it and don't rush anything. If it takes you two weekends, just enjoy the bonding experience you and your car will share!

After install, be very cognizant of warmup when driving. If you're going with CSG's tuning, Zach's tune will warn you that you're driving too aggressively when the engine isn't ready (CEL or power cut). Keep the rpm moderate with mild throttle until temps are up, then have your fun. Zach is awesome, btw.

Last edited by wheelhaus; 04-12-2023 at 12:07 PM.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
BatStig (01-16-2024), CSG Mike (12-20-2021), livingasleep (03-16-2022), mswbrz (12-23-2021), PulsarBeeerz (12-19-2021), superleggera (12-21-2021), waifu_zn6 (12-19-2021), zc06_kisstherain (12-22-2021)
Old 02-07-2022, 11:26 AM   #5764
Gungnir

Drives: 2019 Series.Gray BRZ
I just finished the install this weekend.

The install is pretty simple. The largest challenges I had were updates to the kit not being reflected in the instructions. Most hardware, hoses, and sub assemblies were already together, and the instructions haven't been updated.

It would also be nice if they had a combined install with the engine cooler. The separate books are not marked for optimizing the total work time. It is relatively easy to piece together, but additional clarity wouldn't hurt.

Two questions post install:

The engine oil cooler on the filter port has 4 outlets. Two facing horizontal, and two angled upwards at ~45 degrees. It is looking like I will not have space to mount to the horizontal plug, so is it OK to go into the 45 degree angle?

Edit for photo:

Is the rotrex cooler directional? The filter and charger are labeled, but I didn't check the Setrab unit to see if it was. My brain says I'm overthinking this, but wouldn't mind some reassurance.

Last edited by Gungnir; 02-07-2022 at 04:45 PM.
Gungnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:07 PM   #5765
JDMChris

Drives: 2016
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to JDMChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I just finished the install this weekend.

The install is pretty simple. The largest challenges I had were updates to the kit not being reflected in the instructions. Most hardware, hoses, and sub assemblies were already together, and the instructions haven't been updated.

It would also be nice if they had a combined install with the engine cooler. The separate books are not marked for optimizing the total work time. It is relatively easy to piece together, but additional clarity wouldn't hurt.

Two questions post install:

The engine oil cooler on the filter port has 4 outlets. Two facing horizontal, and two angled upwards at ~45 degrees. It is looking like I will not have space to mount to the horizontal plug, so is it OK to go into the 45 degree angle?

Edit for photo:

Is the rotrex cooler directional? The filter and charger are labeled, but I didn't check the Setrab unit to see if it was. My brain says I'm overthinking this, but wouldn't mind some reassurance.
Adjust your piping. That whole drivers side looks out of alignment. With the piping adjusted properly you shouldn't have a issue with the oil lines coming out of the "Straight" ports on the adapter. Although there is no issue with running it out of the 45 ports, you don't want the lines rubbing on anything.
JDMChris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDMChris For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-07-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 04:12 PM   #5766
Gungnir

Drives: 2019 Series.Gray BRZ
Thanks, Chris. Looks like we glossed over the rotation directions on the charge pipe. I cleaned things up, and lines are looking better.
Gungnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:24 AM   #5767
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,140 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Maybe you guys can help me troubleshoot something.

My JRSC has been running like a champ so far, except this morning. Throttle response was fine when in vacuum/below boost, but once I got into boost there was no power, just hesitation. No CEL. My Scangauge showed mileage was upwards of 47-48mpg, so its seeing way less fuel being used.

Only other thing thats occasionally caught my attention is cold starts. Sometimes they seem a bit labored and it doesn’t seem eager to fire up, kind of like an old radial airplane engine for just a split second. Once its started it smells rich. I’ve chalked this up to now also turning the tune, and laboring from the supercharger but was curious if it may be related.

Any ideas where to look first?

Actually at the time of writing this, I remember just yesterday I installed a new hood liner and rotated the MAF tube forward for better clearance, and I can’t recall if the MAF sensor orietation is critical- i.e. if it needs to be upright… Gonna check the instructions now.

Edit- The instructions do state MAF to be directly vertical. Would this actually cause the issue I’m experiencing if its rotated forward 90 degrees?
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:37 PM   #5768
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,059 Times in 769 Posts
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
maf should be vertical, yes . Much more probability of contamination
kind of similar of when you install lambda sensors.. it s better to keep vertical and avoid too much inclination

Also, anytime you move the maf, even a single millimeter, the scaling is gonna need a change

The maf only sample a very small portion of a (optimistically) laminar flow of air, and that 's enough to mess with the scaling you had before moving the maf

In reality the flow is always a bit turbolent.. so it's even worse

anyway to me looks like a intake/boost leak... but if you aren' t going to post a log of you car here, we can't jump to conclusions
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote