follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
lapsio

Drives: 2020 BRZ Final Edition, 1999 MX5 NB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ Final Edition Sachs vs GT86 Blue Edition Sachs

I came across many posts saying that FRS/GT86 suspension is a bit stiffer comparing to BRZ. Does it also apply for BRZ Final Edition / GT86 Blue Edition with Sachs? Or are those the same for both?

My question basically comes from fact that I find Sachs suspension in Final Edition really soft and wobbly and I'm not sure if it's due to fact that it's Subaru BRZ which tends to have softer suspension setup or if it's just the stiffest suspension that was offered stock.
lapsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:48 PM   #2
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Sway bar differences? Alignment?
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #3
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The FRS/86/BRZ rates aren't softer or stiffer overall, just different rates front to rear to change the handling bias.

FRS runs stiffer rear and softer front springs, original 86 is in the middle, and the BRZ runs stiffer front and softer rear springs. The FRS is the loosest factory setup which makes it more neutral, the BRZ is the most understeer prone.

They're not wildly different though, just enough to change the balance.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:56 AM   #4
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Subaru and Toyota Sachs have a different rate, I made a post on the specific PP thread.
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpvecchi For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (11-29-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 09:10 PM   #5
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsio View Post
I came across many posts saying that FRS/GT86 suspension is a bit stiffer comparing to BRZ. Does it also apply for BRZ Final Edition / GT86 Blue Edition with Sachs? Or are those the same for both?

My question basically comes from fact that I find Sachs suspension in Final Edition really soft and wobbly and I'm not sure if it's due to fact that it's Subaru BRZ which tends to have softer suspension setup or if it's just the stiffest suspension that was offered stock.
Did you buy the car new? Is everything stock including wheels and tires? When you say soft and wobbly what are you comparing it too?

I know I am not answering your question but I rarely hear the stock suspension referred to as soft and never heard of it being described as wobbly. Makes me wonder if there is a mechanical issue there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-13-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #6
lapsio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Did you buy the car new? Is everything stock including wheels and tires? When you say soft and wobbly what are you comparing it too?

I know I am not answering your question but I rarely hear the stock suspension referred to as soft and never heard of it being described as wobbly. Makes me wonder if there is a mechanical issue there.
Yeah I bought new car. It's stock Final Edition. I'm comparing to Tein Flex Z in my MX5. I mean yeah it's stiffer than regular econobox but BRZ is not regular econobox also it's Sachs package so I'd expect it to be somewhat comparable to coilovers. When I'm going like 80 mph and rapidly change lane BRZ feels unstable and wobbly and sometimes traction control kicks in, whole car leans quite heavily. MX5 on coilovers doesn't do that.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:56 AM   #7
MrSkubi

Drives: 17 BRZ ,21 GR Yaris, 23 GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Got it aligned after accident ? I've never seen TC intervention in my 17' BRZ even at 200 kph+ while changing lanes (even when it was stock with oem prius tires). Also there are more things that contribute to cars body roll than just strut type. Did you change yours MX5 sway bars ? They're quite known for having more than desired body roll in stock form so I'd be surprised that just flex z made such big improvement. I've only driven stock ND Miata and for me it felt like it had more body roll than stock 15' 86 or my 17' BRZ but it was a short drive so maybe someone with modified one could chime in.
MrSkubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:17 PM   #8
lapsio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkubi View Post
Did you change yours MX5 sway bars ? They're quite known for having more than desired body roll in stock form so I'd be surprised that just flex z made such big improvement.
Yeah well it has Tein Flex Z, front and rear lower strut bars, rollbar and doorbars and Federal RS-R semi slicks. But then again I'm not expecting BRZ to be as harsh as this MX5. Still I'm a bit surprised how soft BRZ is being "sports car". In that MX5 when I hit the pothole I need to walk around in plaster for 2 days on wheelchair... And I know stiffer is not always better but still it feels weird when BRZ leans this hard during sharp turns.

So I just wondered if that's the hardest suspension twins came out with or is it just BRZ being Subaru, not Toyota and having more wobbly suspension setup.

Last edited by lapsio; 01-12-2022 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:59 AM   #9
MrSkubi

Drives: 17 BRZ ,21 GR Yaris, 23 GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsio View Post
In that MX5 when I hit the pothole I need to walk around in plaster for 2 days on wheelchair...
I'm not sure if Tein Flex Z should do that to you..
The problem here is that you're comparing modified car to the stock one. Tire alone in both cases make huge difference not to mention other mods. And yeah BRZ and 86 are sports cars but not track cars in stock form. They should have body roll and some sort of comfort because the average buyer is not a regular track addict that will benefit with having a car with close to zero body roll. On the other hand you can say that GT3 RS or Ariel Atom are a sports cars too but with very different target audience and purpose.
MrSkubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:30 AM   #10
CedN

Drives: 2013 GT86 fully standard
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sounds weird, i find my completely standard GT86 way to overdamped, complete opposite to floppy, ive driven race cars with 2-3 times stiffer springa that rides mores smoothly, and it doesn't roll many degrees for being a standard road car, at least not on road tyres. Sounds weird that the Sachs dampers would be completely différent in every regard.