follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-25-2016, 11:51 PM   #197
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
So basically even after recalibrating the throttle it never actually reads the last column

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NO, that post describes an an UNcalibrated throttle. In the zero rpm row, I populated the 80 and 85 column cells with "100". That was the only change in the map and I attached the picture showing only these 2 changes. This enabled full signal voltage of 4.95V while the 80 column cell was active.

I will make a procede map up to 80 column. And make sure there is one more column to the right, that the active throttle won't reach and appears redundant, populated with "100", to enabled me to get full voltage signal from the 80 column.

After calibrating the throttle, the last column is reached/read by the active throttle. This is the problem. There is no "100" cell to the right, and I the previous results I posted showed this gave a lower voltage of 4.06V. However, if there was a "100" cell to the right of the active cell, then I would get full signal voltage of 4.95V.

Last edited by keen as; 06-26-2016 at 12:03 AM.
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keen as For This Useful Post:
KoolBRZ (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 12:20 AM   #198
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen as View Post
NO, that post describes an an UNcalibrated throttle. In the zero rpm row, I populated the 80 and 85 column cells with "100". That was the only change in the map and I attached the picture showing only these 2 changes. This enabled full signal voltage of 4.95V while the 80 column cell was active.

I will make a procede map up to 80 column. And make sure there is one more column to the right, that the active throttle won't reach and appears redundant, populated with "100", to enabled me to get full voltage signal from the 80 column.

After calibrating the throttle, the last column is reached/read by the active throttle. This is the problem. There is no "100" cell to the right, and I the previous results I posted showed this gave a lower voltage of 4.06V. However, if there was a "100" cell to the right of the active cell, then I would get full signal voltage of 4.95V.

That's just odd... Strictly from a programing sense either it's reading to the right of wherever the blue square is.... Or there's a major glitch in regards to what 100 is defined as. Try putting in 99 and see if that fixes the issue.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:10 AM   #199
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
So, since the last row has no cells to the right, then it should drop when it gets to full throttle. Now everyone needs to recalibrate their throttles so the max ends up in the 90 load column, that way full throttle gives full boost. It's tricky, but do-able. I'll do it tomorrow.
I already have a great tune, I just bumped up my boost by moving all the columns in my map one column to the left. It was a fun trip to the store and back, though my average mpg took a hit.
There is still a slight voltage drop between the switch and the Procede, 5.21 versus 4.95, but that's close enough for me. @keen as, what is your cal id? I'll send you a copy of my tune for you to experiment with.
Sunrise161 (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 03:28 AM   #200
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
That all makes sense. @KoolBRZ

I don't expect any difference between 5.21v and 4.95V. After I get my dump pack back in, I'll log boost to see if there is any change when I switch from procede to throttle switch.

My Cal id is A01G, currently on E85 (it's really good when full boost working). I had help with a local guy to fix the lean AFR at low revs. He also helped with cold start. It's winter and in Sydney, Australia, 3degress Celcius low feels like an ice age!! So, don't go out of your way for E85 tune, thanks.
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keen as For This Useful Post:
KoolBRZ (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 03:31 AM   #201
KoolBRZ

Garage
Quote:
That's just odd... Strictly from a programming sense either it's reading to the right of wherever the blue square is.... Or there's a major glitch in regards to what 100 is defined as. Try putting in 99 and see if that fixes the issue.

It's averaging to the right. If there is no cell to the right, the average drops. Lots of automotive tables use averaging. The trick is to make the last two columns on the right the same, then calibrate your throttle, adjusting the full throttle calibration up until full throttle ends up in the 90% column. That's it. I'll get pics tomorrow showing a table with the last two columns the same. Also showing the throttle calibration upper limit raised so that full throttle ends up in the 90% column. For instance, my calibrated upper limit is 808 at full throttle. I would probably need to raise it to 925 to bring full throttle back to the 90% column.
P.S. @keen as, if you simply don't calibrate, it won't engage as soon because the lower throttle limit is too low.
keen as (06-26-2016), Sojhinn (06-26-2016), Sunrise161 (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 11:17 AM   #202
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
It's averaging to the right. If there is no cell to the right, the average drops. Lots of automotive tables use averaging. The trick is to make the last two columns on the right the same, then calibrate your throttle, adjusting the full throttle calibration up until full throttle ends up in the 90% column. That's it. I'll get pics tomorrow showing a table with the last two columns the same. Also showing the throttle calibration upper limit raised so that full throttle ends up in the 90% column. For instance, my calibrated upper limit is 808 at full throttle. I would probably need to raise it to 925 to bring full throttle back to the 90% column.

P.S. @keen as, if you simply don't calibrate, it won't engage as soon because the lower throttle limit is too low.

Good to know. Thanks.

But why didn't Shiv just tell us this in the first place?

Also why is this springing up after the fact for some of us?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 06-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #203
KoolBRZ

Garage
How many of us actually measure voltage at full throttle? The rest of us just took it on faith. Kudo's to @keen as for questioning it enough to test it.
Gums (06-26-2016), Sunrise161 (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #204
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
How many of us actually measure voltage at full throttle? The rest of us just took it on faith. Kudo's to @keen as for questioning it enough to test it.

Hah me. I had my procede replaced for the same reason.

But nice job you two on figuring it out.

Installed Mods:
Old 06-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #205
KoolBRZ

Garage
Calibration walk through

Here is how to do it. Turn on your car without starting it. Plug the Procede cable into your laptop. Open Procede software, click on the red connect button to connect. Wait for current map to load. If you are going to continue using this map, proceed to next step, otherwise, click open to load the map you want to use. Wait for map to load. Click on the Analogue Inputs link on the left-hand column to open it. Click and drag it to the left, so you can see the readouts on the right, as shown in the pic. Calibrate the throttle by clicking on the "Set Throttle" button once, step on the throttle several times, take your foot off the throttle, click the "Set Throttle" button once again, step on the throttle several times, WHILE HOLDING THE PEDAL TO THE FLOOR, click the "Set Throttle" button once again, release the throttle.

Now add about 40,+-5, to the Max Throttle field and click on the "Apply" button. Notice the Engine Load In % field changes with the throttle. Make sure that you add enough so that the "Engine Load In %" is between 92 and 93% when the throttle is pushed to the floor. Over 95% is too much, it jumps to the 100% column, under 85% is too little, it drops to the 80% column. 92.5% allows for some variance in the throttle calibration, but ensures full throttle is in the 90% column.

Notice this Procede map is rescaled, and the last two columns are identical. Also the first two columns and the bottom two rows are the same to allow for Throttle calibration variance. It kicks in very early and strong.
Attached Images

Last edited by KoolBRZ; 06-26-2016 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Balky attachment tool
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KoolBRZ For This Useful Post:
keen as (06-26-2016), Sunrise161 (06-26-2016), WRB5titch (06-29-2016)
Old 07-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #206
j_Zer0

Drives: Asphalt FRS 2014
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
No boost up top

I'm seeing an issue where I have no boost at throttle >= ~70%. @Sojhinn pointed me here, so I recalibrated my throttle as per @KoolBRZ's above instructions. My throttle is now 170 - 890 and with the pedal all the way down load is 92% and I'm in the 90 column on my map. But unfortunately I still have no boost up high (partial boost is working fine). Does my map look ok?
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2017, 04:12 PM   #207
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_Zer0 View Post
I'm seeing an issue where I have no boost at throttle >= ~70%. @Sojhinn pointed me here, so I recalibrated my throttle as per @KoolBRZ's above instructions. My throttle is now 170 - 890 and with the pedal all the way down load is 92% and I'm in the 90 column on my map. But unfortunately I still have no boost up high (partial boost is working fine). Does my map look ok?

I'm assuming the box is moving to the right and up correct?

Installed Mods:
Old 07-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #208
j_Zer0

Quote:
I'm assuming the box is moving to the right and up correct?

Ya, it seems to be tracking both RPM and throttle input accurately.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:16 PM   #209
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_Zer0 View Post
Ya, it seems to be tracking both RPM and throttle input accurately.

Next step sucks... You need to measure voltage leaving the procede while the car is on and someone is pushing down on the throttle. You should be reading approximately 5v on full throttle.

Installed Mods:
Old 07-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #210
j_Zer0

Quote:
Next step sucks... You need to measure voltage leaving the procede while the car is on and someone is pushing down on the throttle. You should be reading approximately 5v on full throttle.

Does the engine need to be started, or is accessory mode enough? I have a multimeter, but how/where do I put the leads?