follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #295
blackknight.ktn

Drives: Toyota Avalon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm super stoked and excited now that we are for sure there is no production limit. White Scion FRS here I come!...that is as long as the price is under $25k hopefully.
blackknight.ktn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #296
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Leeky you are still the man!

Get us some good pics at the show!

tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 PM   #297
BobbyBalaz
Humble Newbie

Drives: Golf GTI MK6 (DSG)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well, we could look at the bright side, if it wasn't for Leeky, 'leaking' (I just had to, sorry Leeky) & sharing information with us all, resulting in this massive thread, going 'sort of viral', we wouldn't have this new found information. Again, thanks to FT86club.com & everyone here. Forums always bring results.
BobbyBalaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #298
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
wait a sec if these are not the final production cars... then is there a chance well get red tail lights? and we can stop QQing about them on the Subie and Toyota O__O!

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:06 PM   #299
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
wait a sec if these are not the final production cars... then is there a chance well get red tail lights? and we can stop QQing about them on the Subie and Toyota O__O!
Turbo?
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #300
quik1987

Drives: Bugatti Veyron
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Simple logic would tell you more than 1000 BRZ/FRS/GT86 will be made.
quik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #301
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post

While I appreciate Leeky being there and sharing his experience, I also feel bad that Toyota PR took advantage of him and fed him rather fantastic "truths". I'm sure the communication he was given weren't outright lies, but lacked significant context, being massively misleading. This is how PR and marketing effectively work, unfortunately. The article from the significantly more seasoned [and jaded] TTAC staff shows that a healthy dose of experience with PR slime helps temper the misleading path the PR people lead you down. I'm sure Toyota PR carefully crafted the plan to have a media virgin from the forum play excited messenger to the fan base. It did work, but IMO it also backfired by assuming everyone here is naive.
Could be his translator girl, too. I do conversational English language instruction once a week here with Japanese ESL students.

What I've learned:

A) Japanese women have little interest in automotive stuff. (Everyone's shocked, I know...)

B) Technical stuff doesn't translate easily.

C) Japanese don't often stop me and ask for clarifications, usually just nod and agree when they don't understand something I say. I have to catch that they are not getting something myself, and back up.

So put A + B + C and you don't have the best starting point for a good translation about cars, especially for a super-pumped, hyper-stimulated car fan.

It's also possible his translator was having difficulty keeping up. So the info may have been 'lagging'. There were LFA's there, and they may have been talking about them or the tech. Maybe some comparisons between both, and the translator couldn't keep up, or mixed up some info.

I don't think it was deliberate.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #302
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Turbo?
Old 11-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #303
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
WoW hopefully you saw it was me who posted it and realized I was messing around.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:24 PM   #304
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
WoW hopefully you saw it was me who posted it and realized I was messing around.
yep i still had to do it!

You taunt the newbs and trolls, they all come out and attack like zombie apocalypse ..so watch it!
Old 11-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #305
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Could be his translator girl, too. .....

It's possible; we'll likely never know for sure if the info was intentionally misleading or if it was simply a language translation misstep. Over time, the actual production info will be known.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #306
balance

Drives: 86 & Picanto
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
While I appreciate Leeky's efforts in delivering us with the most updated information from the source itself, he is also at fault for failing to exercise his common sense and titling this thread using the capitalized "FACTS". The notion of 1000 handmade units simply makes no sense whatsoever from any kind of business perspectives. If anything, the extent of radical reaction people have shown here to this bogus information only shows how much we already love this new car. It's all good!
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:25 PM   #307
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
yep i still had to do it!

You taunt the newbs and trolls, they all come out and attack like zombie apocalypse ..so watch it!
I was just hoping someone would bust out the seagul turbo pic.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #308
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Could be his translator girl, too. I do conversational English language instruction once a week here with Japanese ESL students.

What I've learned:

A) Japanese women have little interest in automotive stuff. (Everyone's shocked, I know...)

B) Technical stuff doesn't translate easily.

C) Japanese don't often stop me and ask for clarifications, usually just nod and agree when they don't understand something I say. I have to catch that they are not getting something myself, and back up.

So put A + B + C and you don't have the best starting point for a good translation about cars, especially for a super-pumped, hyper-stimulated car fan.

It's also possible his translator was having difficulty keeping up. So the info may have been 'lagging'. There were LFA's there, and they may have been talking about them or the tech. Maybe some comparisons between both, and the translator couldn't keep up, or mixed up some info.

Dimman, I concurred on what you said about Japanese ESL students. Heck, I think the same can be applied to eastern Asian (Japanese, Kor,ean Chinese) ESL student. It is very common like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
It's possible; we'll likely never know for sure if the info was intentionally misleading or if it was simply a language translation misstep. Over time, the actual production info will be known.
That said, I think IIRC Leeky did said that he talked directly to the head of advertising from Toyota (the last picture shown with two guys stand beside him with Mt. Fuji as the background) without using the translator. As per Leeky, he said his translator has done her best to translate his conversation, but for the info about *1000 unit/year* and "handmade* or *LF-A transmission*, I think Leeky got it directly from those two guys, and even Leeky was correcting the mistake those two people said about LF-A has a V-8 (V-10 is the correct answer).

Poor Leeky is just scapegoated by more season journalists. There is no need to judge his intelligence just because he passed something he heard from the people at scene.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote