follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #911
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemravan View Post
Definitely understood on his scenario. I was only referring to my situation not being optimistic as I am about 90% certain the one cylinder head will need to come off and a valve and maybe guide will need to be replaced (basically same work as redoing a head gasket) and if they are looking to have me pay anywhere near that to get a new valve in I'll probably crap a brick .
Yeah if i didn't have a $500 coupon to use at a subaru dealership I probably would have not had it done. So i guess you can technically say I paid just under $500.
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #912
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
^ Not only the engine out but also the heads half-taken apart... Not sure if the camshaft assembly has to come out or be disassmebled to a certain degree for the recall (this would be the involved labor add for the dealership) but for the most part not only is the engine out, but the top end (... well side ends? lol) is already half apart too..
The heads really don't come apart that much. Here are the instructions if you want to wade through the massive amount of updated documents.
I can't say as I blame the techs for being confused at first as the evolution of the "instructions" is confusing as hell!

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/c...72&docType=RCL
aemravan (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #913
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
^ Not only the engine out but also the heads half-taken apart... Not sure if the camshaft assembly has to come out or be disassmebled to a certain degree for the recall (this would be the involved labor add for the dealership) but for the most part not only is the engine out, but the top end (... well side ends? lol) is already half apart too..
Cam carrier, and cams are removed for the recall.
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:31 AM   #914
HugoFRS6AT

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6AT
Great new guys, the dealer admitted fault and replaced everything and got me back up and running....

Just kidding.

I returned to the dealer with a tow truck, to tow my barely alive FRS home, and they informed me that there was some body damage to the car while it was in their shop. The service manager, who I spoke with over the phone just one day prior, had neglected to mention that and was now conveniently on vacation.

I may or may not have lost my shit and stormed out of there.
HugoFRS6AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #915
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoFRS6AT View Post
Great new guys, the dealer admitted fault and replaced everything and got me back up and running....

Just kidding.

I returned to the dealer with a tow truck, to tow my barely alive FRS home, and they informed me that there was some body damage to the car while it was in their shop. The service manager, who I spoke with over the phone just one day prior, had neglected to mention that and was now conveniently on vacation.

Should've kept calm and spoke to GM and made them pay for that damage. But o well.

Last edited by msaikhan; 05-15-2019 at 08:27 AM.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #916
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Just kidding.

So they wrecked your car, and screwed up your engine. If the dealer is not willing to fix the body damage that occurred while in their possession, it may be time to get your insurance company involved. That should get the body repairs covered, as they will be pretty good at forcing the dealership to fix the damage.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:07 AM   #917
rande

Drives: Spyder, MR2, FRS, Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
So they wrecked your car, and screwed up your engine. If the dealer is not willing to fix the body damage that occurred while in their possession, it may be time to get your insurance company involved. That should get the body repairs covered, as they will be pretty good at forcing the dealership to fix the damage.
I don't know if I would trust them to repair it correctly. You should be able to take it anywhere you want to get it repaired and the dealership would be responsible for the bill. The dealership won't like that and will probably tell you they won't cover it. You might have to sue them but eventually they would be required to cover the repair.

I wonder how many news stations they would like the story to be featured on?
rande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:27 AM   #918
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rande View Post
I don't know if I would trust them to repair it correctly. You should be able to take it anywhere you want to get it repaired and the dealership would be responsible for the bill. The dealership won't like that and will probably tell you they won't cover it. You might have to sue them but eventually they would be required to cover the repair.

Depends on state laws, some states you have the choice, some you may not since it was damaged in possession of the dealership. Thats why I suggested discussion with an insurance agent. They will know the rules/laws and "pain points" to push to get it done.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:48 AM   #919
Tcoat

Quote:

Just kidding.

What exactly does the damage consist of? Are we talking some small dings and scratches or did the peal a fender off? The appropriate follow up actions for each scenario could be very different.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:51 AM   #920
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rande View Post

If every car that got dinged while in a repair shop was newsworthy there would be 24/7 station dedicated to only that issue in any moderate to large urban center. Big deal to the owner but nobody else gives a carp and not news worthy by any stretch.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #921
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
My BRZ is and has been at the stealership for 13 days, they called me at the week mark to let me know they'd need to keep it longer due to how busy they got. I just got a call from the service manager... "The technician doing your valve spring recall found a couple anomalies. #1 your serpentine belt is cracked and #2 your cam carriers are leaking oil"

The belt I get, I got the car in June 2012 and it's never been replaced, vehicle has over 40,755 miles. Cam carriers, honestly never heard of them before today but a cursory Google search tells me they are a frame/gasket.

I authorized them to replace both along with doing the spark plugs, in total the 'recall' is slated to run me $650 before any discounts (in my experience, they like to drop a 10% discount at the end so you feel like they're doing you a favor). What'd you guys know about cam carriers? What're your thoughts on this?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:01 PM   #922
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slizoth View Post
My BRZ is and has been at the stealership for 13 days, they called me at the week mark to let me know they'd need to keep it longer due to how busy they got. I just got a call from the service manager... "The technician doing your valve spring recall found a couple anomalies. #1 your serpentine belt is cracked and #2 your cam carriers are leaking oil"

The belt I get, I got the car in June 2012 and it's never been replaced, vehicle has over 40,755 miles. Cam carriers, honestly never heard of them before today but a cursory Google search tells me they are a frame/gasket.

I authorized them to replace both along with doing the spark plugs, in total the 'recall' is slated to run me $650 before any discounts (in my experience, they like to drop a 10% discount at the end so you feel like they're doing you a favor). What'd you guys know about cam carriers? What're your thoughts on this?

My cam carrier was resealed under warranty (just). It is a common area to get a leak on these motors. It's likely always leaked, it's not a gasket that grades, they use sealant and that should be a one and done fix if done right.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
slizoth (05-17-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #923
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
My cam carrier was resealed under warranty (just). It is a common area to get a leak on these motors. It's likely always leaked, it's not a gasket that grades, they use sealant and that should be a one and done fix if done right.
If it's worth a shot since you only have 45k miles on the car, call SOA about the cam carriers. They were known to leak oil and if I'm not wrong there may be a tsb for them. Maybe if they're feeling nice they will warranty it.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1413834741
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ichima For This Useful Post:
slizoth (05-17-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #924
Octane

Drives: FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunman View Post
Cam carrier, and cams are removed for the recall.
No. Only the cam caps and cams are removed. The carriers stay in place.
Octane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue