follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2023, 03:31 PM   #15
Luns

Drives: 2017 GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luns View Post
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...21&postcount=6

This has photos of one control, which appears to have the same button arrangement as the 2017 control, and with identical locations for the readable resistors but is a different revision with differences in some of the traces at the top. Unfortunately, it appears all the readable resistors are current-limiting resistors for the backlight LEDs. The resistors that the actual switches affect do not have readable labels, so even being able to trace out the entire schematic of the control, I don't think I can get where I'd hoped.
My best guess what's going on is that the post by Balf that I linked to shows an '86 Control rather than BRZ. From images I've seen on eBay, 1st gen Toyota steering wheels have blue loom for the wire bundles, while BRZ (and GR86) have black loom. Balf's wheel had blue loom.

This matters for me as I'd bought a BRZ steering wheel to go in my '17 86, and I didn't worry about compatibility of the audio controls figuring I could just use my original control if there was a mismatch. However, it Balf's control only has an 8 pin connector, while the BRZ control I have has a 10 pin connector, with two extra pins to accept the voice control switch from the right side control.

I'm still a little puzzled as to what car Balf's control is from. '17-19 MY 86s did not have steering wheel phone controls as far as I can tell, which would account for the two fewer pins on the connector, yet the image of the board itself shows the phone up/phone down switches in the lower left! Gen 2 86's have the same controls as the BRZ, but from pictures I've seen, also use the same black loom. So, maybe Balf had 2020 controls?

I do wonder whether the button/resistor mapping of Balf's controls are more similar to '17 or '18+ BRZ controls.
Luns is offline   Reply With Quote