follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #29
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
Not the roll center correction kit, I have it too. And yes the car would need realigned with either kit when ride height is changed. Even without either kit it needs realigned when ride height is adjusted that much. The anti dive/ caster correction kit is the front control arm bushing in the front location of the arm that has an offset hole that adds caster to the front wheels. The roll center correction kit brings the roll center closer to ground level. Some argue that it isn't necessary, but I can testify that the sum of all of the above parts, plus energy suspension rear bushings in all locations that don't already have pillow ball/cross axis bushings, is an even more amazing and responsive car.
Yeah I knew it needs to be realigned. Thanks for all the insight
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
twag4 (01-20-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #30
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Let me chime in here, as I am experiencing lighter steering feel but as a result of different circumstances:

I just had all four tires replaced; tire model and size did not change (running Pilot Super Sports/225/45); wheels have not changed either (17.5 inch width).

The shop did however, check my alignment, but not sure if they adjusted. The steering feels much more light and almost floaty compared to before. It's significant, and I must say I hate it.

My guess is that the shop may have set my front camber closer to zero compared to before?

I should have also stated that I am on fully stock suspension.

Any comments/ideas/suggestions to get steering feel back to bias towards more weighty feel?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:17 PM   #31
Race

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMeeple View Post
Let me chime in here, as I am experiencing lighter steering feel but as a result of different circumstances:

I just had all four tires replaced; tire model and size did not change (running Pilot Super Sports/225/45); wheels have not changed either (17.5 inch width).

The shop did however, check my alignment, but not sure if they adjusted. The steering feels much more light and almost floaty compared to before. It's significant, and I must say I hate it.

My guess is that the shop may have set my front camber closer to zero compared to before?

Any comments/ideas/suggestions to get steering feel back to bias towards more weighty feel?
I have exactly the same setup as you do (PSS 225/45 17x7.5 on stock suspension) and I noticed that the steering feels lighter compared to running the stock Primacy HP tires. I tend to think that the PSS tires made the steering so much more direct/responsive that less input/effort from the steering is needed to make the car turn, therefore the steering FEELS lighter but in fact it probably is the same before and after. I can't think of why tires alone can affect the steering mechanism in any other way. I'm also running Enkei Fujin (7.5 width ET40) wheels and my camber is at -1.4 front (with camber bolts) and -1.3 rear. My alignment was done at an earlier date and I didn't notice much change in steering feel at that time, the only variable here are the PSS tires.

Maybe I'm missing something here? Anyone knowledgeable feel free to chime in
Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:09 AM   #32
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race View Post
I have exactly the same setup as you do (PSS 225/45 17x7.5 on stock suspension) and I noticed that the steering feels lighter compared to running the stock Primacy HP tires. I tend to think that the PSS tires made the steering so much more direct/responsive that less input/effort from the steering is needed to make the car turn, therefore the steering FEELS lighter but in fact it probably is the same before and after. I can't think of why tires alone can affect the steering mechanism in any other way. I'm also running Enkei Fujin (7.5 width ET40) wheels and my camber is at -1.4 front (with camber bolts) and -1.3 rear. My alignment was done at an earlier date and I didn't notice much change in steering feel at that time, the only variable here are the PSS tires.

Maybe I'm missing something here? Anyone knowledgeable feel free to chime in
Thanks for your input!

I agree that the wider tires/better grip compared to stock makes a difference. I noticed that with my first set of super sports...what has shocked me is how different the car feels now with a new set of same tires. I haven't had a chance to go back to the shop, but my guess is that they adjusted the camber in the front and that is what I'm noticing.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:47 AM   #33
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

I have no experience with those tires but have frequently felt the same when I have changed to new ones. It has always gone away after 100 miles or so though. I have been told that a lot of it has to do with the compounds that are left over from the manufacturing and they just need to wear off. Give it a bit and see what happens.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:18 PM   #34
MightyMeeple
Slower than Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have no experience with those tires but have frequently felt the same when I have changed to new ones. It has always gone away after 100 miles or so though. I have been told that a lot of it has to do with the compounds that are left over from the manufacturing and they just need to wear off. Give it a bit and see what happens.
Good point @Tcoat....I aslo just checked the pressure in the tires to ensure they hadn't over-inflated them...but that is within normal ranges.

I will give it some more time...I've only put maybe 80 miles of highway/interstate on them since install.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #35
Kotu100

Drives: Supra, 2014 BRZ
Quote:
Good point @Tcoat....I aslo just checked the pressure in the tires to ensure they hadn't over-inflated them...but that is within normal ranges.

I will give it some more time...I've only put maybe 80 miles of highway/interstate on them since install.
Did the floaty feeling go away after the tires broke in?

I recently had my rear tires replaced from worn Michelin Pilot a/s 3 to MPSS. I was so unhappy with the floaty feeling that I actually had them swap the tires out for the new Michelin pilot a/s 3 plus.
Car still feels the same. I've already put over 500 miles on the tires and they still feel the same.

Trac control is also super sensitive now. Turns that I used to take without any tire squeal is kicking the trac control on causing the car to become unstable mid corner.
Kotu100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:06 PM   #36
Kotu100

Drives: Supra, 2014 BRZ
*Problem fixed*
The issue with my car seemed to be the new tires on the rear. I rotated them to the front and the car feels super planted again. The traction control is also not super sensitive anymore.
I'm so happy to have my car back!!!
Kotu100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coilovers, light, steering