follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #1
doku

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ w/ Performance Pack
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dash Cam head unit?

I was looking at getting a new headunit that supports Apple CarPlay and it seems like a few have like 4 camera inputs. That's cool, but I can't rightly figure out if they record the input like a dash cam. My friend's Tesla is always recording for example. Is there any setup like that out there?

I was looking at this one for example:

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dmx907s/
Old 10-16-2020, 02:09 PM   #2
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doku View Post
My friend's Tesla is always recording for example. Is there any setup like that out there?
Your friend's Tesla has a bigger battery than your car, not sure you would want it to always record, if by that you mean when off.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I was looking at getting a new headunit that supports Apple CarPlay and it seems like a few have like 4 camera inputs. That's cool, but I can't rightly figure out if they record the input like a dash cam. My friend's Tesla is always recording for example. Is there any setup like that out there?

I was looking at this one for example:

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/excelon/dmx907s/
Headunits switch off when the car is turned off. They don't usually record in the first place, and beyond that they won't record when they're off anyway. The 4 camera inputs are just for operation while it's on.

The unit you linked is designed to work in tandem with their dash-cam for that purpose.
https://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/dash...mera/drv-n520/

If you got both, then the dash-cam would be able to record while the vehicle is both on and off if set up properly. Then, when the vehicle is on, you could control it through the head unit. The recordings are captured and stored via the dash-cam in that case.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpsicle View Post
They don't usually record in the first place, and beyond that they won't record when they're off anyway. The 4 camera inputs are just for operation while it's on..
The Pioneer AVIX I have in my Suburban will record from either of it's inputs (one for front, one for back) when the car is running if you have an SD card in the unit. It does the typical 30 sec or so loop, then you have to push a button to commit it. Don't have a front camera so never have used it but have considered it.

Like you said, car off, no recording.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
doku

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ w/ Performance Pack
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wasn’t worried about car off. I really just wanted multiple angles of recording while I was doing auto cross or track days without like buying a bunch of GoPros or something. I’ll look at the Pioneer unit for sure! Thx
Dadhawk (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
I wasn’t worried about car off. I really just wanted multiple angles of recording while I was doing auto cross or track days without like buying a bunch of GoPros or something. I’ll look at the Pioneer unit for sure! Thx
BTW, its AVIC not AVIX as I mentioned above, and looking at the latest one available on Crutchfield it may no longer do this. Mine is a couple of model years back.

It will handle two cameras though. Not sure if they have a higher model with more.