follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #1
ChingZee

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Traction control / ABS not working

Hey all! so i am new to this forum, so appologies if i couldnt find a thread where my question has already been answered.

My traction control, abs and engine light come on shortly after i start driving my car and disengages all function from the traction/abs system. ive read lots about how to turn it off when its not needed... but i cant find anything about turning it on when it automatically shuts it off. this normally happens within 30 seconds of driving (not running but actually driving) or i have noticed if i turn my wheel all the way in one direction (doesnt matter which way)

i had no issues before i parked her when i blew my turbo.. while she was parked i decided to install an aftermarket steering wheel and quick release hub
due to boredom. this is what i believe is causing the issue but i installed the bypass wires that were included in the hub kit (nrg hub, quick release and steering wheel if that matters) and that was supposed to deal with the airbag sensor (which didnt go away either fml) but i live in Canada, its winter time and driving a boosted FRS without that feature has proven to be ... interesting to say the least lol.

if anyone has had this issue or knows of some ways that might fix this issue i would greatly appreciate any information!

also im running my stock wheels since i know that came up in some threads about those sensors sometimes causing traction control and ABS system issues but the other two winters i have owned this car i have not had this issue.

Thanks!
ChingZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Two things come to my mind immediately. One, your steering mods could have caused the steering angle sensor or similar to fall out of calibration. Two, a wheel speed sensor might be faulty. The fastest way to get an answer is to pull the VSC/ABS codes.
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 11:19 PM   #3
ChingZee

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Alright, I will pull the codes and see what they are. I never thought about that but I noticed when I was driving the car to the engine light didn’t come on this time.. might be a bit before I get a chance to check since I am currently waiting for my new turbo to arrive since I am yet again having issues with the turbo so I’m just swapping it out since I’m getting a lot of oil passing through the seals and getting into the exhaust and burning out again.
ChingZee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs, traction control