follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
EAGLE5, finch1750, go_a_way1, iManage, KR-S, MisterSheep, Tcoat, Ultramaroon

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #45347
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,304 Times in 8,641 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
If I may suggest... look into vinyl plank flooring. My wife and I did a HUGE concrete basement floor with the stuff ourselves three years ago, and looks as good as the day we put it in after very heavy usage. It's waterproof, looks GREAT, and very very tough. German Shepherd-claw-proof tough. It would be great for a bathroom, especially if you're considering vinyl tile or sheet, much easier to install, and looks WAY better.

Next bathroom or kitchen floor I do, if it ain't ceramic tile, it's vinyl planking.

a lot of the manufactured wood floors are waterproof now, beautiful, and cheap both to buy and install. Vinyl..no. Just no.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #45348
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,071 Times in 8,331 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
If I may suggest... look into vinyl plank flooring. My wife and I did a HUGE concrete basement floor with the stuff ourselves three years ago, and looks as good as the day we put it in after very heavy usage. It's waterproof, looks GREAT, and very very tough. German Shepherd-claw-proof tough. It would be great for a bathroom, especially if you're considering vinyl tile or sheet, much easier to install, and looks WAY better.

Next bathroom or kitchen floor I do, if it ain't ceramic tile, it's vinyl planking.
Yeah, when I'm remodeling the 1st floor, I'm planning on vinyl plank the whole entire floor. It cost so much less than wood plank AND waterproof is very nice feature! This bathroom vinyl is just a "temporary" til we have enough money to remodel the 1st floor.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:55 PM   #45349
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
a lot of the manufactured wood floors are waterproof now, beautiful, and cheap both to buy and install. Vinyl..no. Just no.

A corrected version.. "a lot of the manufactured wood floors are MARKETED as being waterproof now..." We had friends put in high quality laminated wood floors in their basement. A couple bad rains, damp basement with a few little puddles, and the whole floor swelled and blistered. They removed it, put in vinyl planking, and never looked back. I would never, and I mean NEVER, put down any form of wood floor in a basement. You may be able to get away w/ laminate in a bathroom, but the recent vinyl stuff is SO good that you really can't tell unless you get close. If you haven't looked at vinyl planking in the last couple years, go look again. You might change your mind. Maybe not.

I love hardwood, and will always go for it in areas that are not routinely subjected to high moisture. Otherwise, tile or vinyl for this guy. I HATE maintenance.
Ultramaroon (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #45350
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
A corrected version.. "a lot of the manufactured wood floors are MARKETED as being waterproof now..." We had friends put in high quality laminated wood floors in their basement. A couple bad rains, damp basement with a few little puddles, and the whole floor swelled and blistered. They removed it, put in vinyl planking, and never looked back. I would never, and I mean NEVER, put down any form of wood floor in a basement. You may be able to get away w/ laminate in a bathroom, but the recent vinyl stuff is SO good that you really can't tell unless you get close. If you haven't looked at vinyl planking in the last couple years, go look again. You might change your mind. Maybe not.

I love hardwood, and will always go for it in areas that are not routinely subjected to high moisture. Otherwise, tile or vinyl for this guy. I HATE maintenance.

I was talking sheets, not planks. But I'm sure you are correct. We don't have basements here in San Jose.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #45351
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Sheetrock is a godsend, compared to it's predecessor (lathe & plaster).

humfrz

I broke out a lot of that in old homes in downtown SJ when working as a construction grunt working thru college. Some times it would be floated out so thick you would be banging out 5-6 inches of plaster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #45352
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Ok..that's the strangest story ever...you start out with the most difficult string instrument (and arguably the most difficult to learn of all instruments), then move to the most difficult brass instrument....then you're defeated by the ELECTRIC BASS? Dude....?!?! Being a functional bass player is so easy that I got PAID the first time I played bass. Now, Victor Wooten, Jaco, etc...that's a whole different ball o' skill...but anyone with an ounce of musical training..and you sure have pounds more than that... and about twenty minutes could play in most garage bands. If you dig it, stay with it!

I grew up singing and a little piano too. Mom was a conductor/teacher.

I never learned bass clef, and a fourth rather than a fifth between strings, plus frets were killing me. I kept hitting wrong notes. I had a few weeks on it I think... I was 14? By then I was also playing trumpet for marching...
Old 06-11-2018, 07:04 PM   #45353
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I grew up singing and a little piano too. Mom was a conductor/teacher.

I never learned bass clef, and a fourth rather than a fifth between strings, plus frets were killing me. I kept hitting wrong notes. I had a few weeks on it I think... I was 14? By then I was also playing trumpet for marching...
I played trumpet and clarinet. I found playing other brass instruments, even single and double French horns quite easy to pick up after learning the trumpet.

Tried the violin for a summer, did not have the patience.

Music is great growing up, even if you only do it for a few years. you learn so many life lessons. New generation is missing out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
cjd (06-11-2018), MuseChaser (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #45354
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,906 Times in 16,461 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Yeah, when I'm remodeling the 1st floor, I'm planning on vinyl plank the whole entire floor. It cost so much less than wood plank AND waterproof is very nice feature! This bathroom vinyl is just a "temporary" til we have enough money to remodel the 1st floor.
As far as a hard surfaced floor covering (in non high moisture areas), I highly recommend PERGO® brand of laminate. The selections that already have the backing attached to it are much easier to handle.

We have had ours down in the kitchen/family/dining room for over 8 years and it still looks brand new.

It's quite easy to install, my son-in-law did it in less than a day

humfrz
Old 06-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #45355
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
New generation is missing out.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do1F-Dabn1w[/ame]
Old 06-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #45356
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,071 Times in 8,331 Posts
Mentioned: 678 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
As far as a hard surfaced floor covering (in non high moisture areas), I highly recommend PERGO® brand of laminate. The selections that already have the backing attached to it are much easier to handle.

We have had ours down in the kitchen/family/dining room for over 8 years and it still looks brand new.

It's quite easy to install, my son-in-law did it in less than a day

humfrz
I did look into laminate vs vinyl flooring. Vinyl plank usually last longer than laminate (20yr vs 10yr), but vinyls are lil bit costly than laminate. While Laminate flooring can produce formaldehyde (small amount), which can be dangerous for younger kids... so for young couple who’s planning a “mini ichi” (lol) down the road, prob wanna avoid.

But again, 1st flooring remodel is few yr a head, so I haven’t really decided. My plan is, this yr remodel the basement. Next yr remodel 2nd floor and garage. Year after that of so on 1st floor (living room, dining & kitchen). Kitchen gonna be very costly remodel, so whenever have money save up for it, I gonna start on it.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #45357
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Ok flooring, renovations and band instruments. The old guys have officially taken over the thread.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:06 PM   #45358
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ok flooring, renovations and band instruments. The old guys have officially taken over the thread.

... and soon, Virgil Starkwell was good enough to play cello in his HS marching band...
Old 06-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #45359
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,906 Times in 16,461 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
I did look into laminate vs vinyl flooring. Vinyl plank usually last longer than laminate (20yr vs 10yr), but vinyls are lil bit costly than laminate. While Laminate flooring can produce formaldehyde (small amount), which can be dangerous for younger kids... so for young couple who’s planning a “mini ichi” (lol) down the road, prob wanna avoid.

But again, 1st flooring remodel is few yr a head, so I haven’t really decided. My plan is, this yr remodel the basement. Next yr remodel 2nd floor and garage. Year after that of so on 1st floor (living room, dining & kitchen). Kitchen gonna be very costly remodel, so whenever have money save up for it, I gonna start on it.
Well, it looks like you have done your research

Good plan!

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #45360
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Ooh, we're talking floors!

I really like working with bamboo flooring - and you can get it in just about every style, nail-down, floating... and some interesting colorings too.

Currently have the home theater in (low platform, with a 2nd row riser) and will some day float the rest of the basement... all raised up off the concrete to handle moisture properly (treated 1x flat, a layer of subfloor, then nailed proper on top of that).

That's the fun part of home ownership...
ichitaka05 (06-11-2018)
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis