follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can't fit top front differential bushing inserts (KDT925)

I installed Whiteline differential bushings (KDT925) just now, and couldn't get the top front bushings installed. The instructions say to support the front of the diff, remove the bolts and lower the diff. When I did it the diff barely lowered by half an inch, and even prying it with a crowbar didn't have significant movement. After that I loosened (but not removed) the rear bolts as well, but the diff still didn't budge.

I ended up installing all the bushings in the kit except those front top ones. Bolted everything back, torqued to spec and did a test drive. Everything is great, and the little driveline lash I had remaining after the rear subframe bushings and transmission inserts is now gone, with only minor added NVH.

Did anyone else experience an issue with these bushings? I was hesitant to completely remove the diff bolts (2 front and 3 rear), not knowing at which point I need to support the diff with the bottle jack.
Attached Images

Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I'd recommend unbolting the driveshaft and the rear bolts when doing this
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (09-21-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (09-20-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
Ohio Enthusiast

At which point should I support the diff? Or it doesn't matter much with the prop shafts still connected?
Old 09-21-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
euniqe

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Personally I made the mistake of leaving the car in gear when attempting to lower the diff. I pushed the clutch in, and voila, it lowered instantly.

You should be supporting the diff at all times with a jack or stand or whatever, and only lower it slightly to allow room to insert the bushing inserts. The axles and prop shaft aren't designed to hold the weight of it.
euniqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to euniqe For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (10-26-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (09-21-2020)
Old 09-21-2020, 07:49 AM   #5
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by euniqe View Post
Personally I made the mistake of leaving the car in gear when attempting to lower the diff. I pushed the clutch in, and voila, it lowered instantly.
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I moved to neutral after jacking the car up, but I may have forgotten. I had the same issue with installing the rear transmission bushing, with the same experience (pushed the clutch in, transmission lowered and bushing went in without a hitch, after fighting it for half an hour). Next time I'm under the car I'll give it a go. Thanks!
Old 09-22-2020, 12:58 AM   #6
Plumbus
Seņor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Hmm, I'm pretty sure I moved to neutral after jacking the car up, but I may have forgotten. I had the same issue with installing the rear transmission bushing, with the same experience (pushed the clutch in, transmission lowered and bushing went in without a hitch, after fighting it for half an hour). Next time I'm under the car I'll give it a go. Thanks!
Let us know how it goes, I'm doing this mod in the near future as well.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:03 AM   #7
skylinekin

Drives: 22 GR86, 13 FRS, 15 BRZ, 13 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You can always remove the 2 rear bolts in addition to the front bolts and support the whole diff with a jack and lower the whole thing down for more clearance.
skylinekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #8
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post
Let us know how it goes, I'm doing this mod in the near future as well.
Next time I have a chance under the car would probably be in a month or so to switch to winter tires. I'll be sure to report back.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:00 PM   #9
Ohio Enthusiast

@Plumbus - reporting back - I probably had the transmission in gear in my first try. Now I made sure to pop it in neutral before unbolting the 2 front support bolts and lowering the diff on the bottle jack. It wasn't loose enough to compress the bottle jack, but a little levering with the jack's handle dropped the diff a couple of inches without a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
Plumbus (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 08:36 PM   #10
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Lube and stretch. Make it fit.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:09 AM   #11
solidONE

Quote:
@Plumbus - reporting back - I probably had the transmission in gear in my first try. Now I made sure to pop it in neutral before unbolting the 2 front support bolts and lowering the diff on the bottle jack. It wasn't loose enough to compress the bottle jack, but a little levering with the jack's handle dropped the diff a couple of inches without a problem.
I thought you couldnt press the top bushing over the carrier.. I think the urathane shrinks a tad so the inner diameter of the thin bushing will be slightly smaller than the portion of the carrier its supposed to fit over.

If that's where you are at now.. lube and stretch. make it fit.

Old 10-24-2020, 04:52 PM   #12
Ohio Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
I thought you couldnt press the top bushing over the carrier.. I think the urathane shrinks a tad so the inner diameter of the thin bushing will be slightly smaller than the portion of the carrier its supposed to fit over.
Yeah, it's not a perfect fit - the inserts basically just sits on top, without the snug fit of other bushing inserts for the car (especially compared to the rear subframe inserts). It does snug up well when tightening (as per Whiteline's instructions on a crush fit).

BTW, I only had a chance today to test drive the BRZ after putting these bushing in and it made a noticeable difference vs. the rest of the diff inserts. I'm very happy with this kit.

Last edited by Ohio Enthusiast; 10-24-2020 at 08:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
solidONE (10-24-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 07:00 PM   #13
solidONE

Quote:
Yeah, it's not a perfect fit - the inserts basically just sits on top, without the snug fit of other bushing inserts for the car (especially compared to the rear subframe inserts). It does snug up well went tightening (as per Whiteline's instructions on a crush fit).

BTW, I only had a chance today to test drive the BRZ after putting these bushing in and it made a noticeable difference vs. the rest of the diff inserts. I'm very happy with this kit.
Its a very worthy mod.. even on a brand spanking new 86, me thinks.