follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
hks header, motiv overpipe, motiv front pipe, ark catback review

Alright another review with basically no pics or sound haha. I just got it installed today so bare with me, but on my instagram account there is a video of the under side of the car with the full exhaust system.

initial reactions to the hks header, motiv fp, motiv op (i had the ark from before):

HKS came in a HKS genuine parts box and was packed VERY WELL with an extra baggy with OEM gaskets an extra sensor and instructions in JDM and in english haha. Downside, no swag despite spending a pretty penny, but it's all good!
Motiv op and fp came in the same box but packaged nicely! Got a free shirt and swag and hardware to do the installation. The bends are pretty damn clean and the welds are pretty freakin good! I was amazed at the price vs quality. They have a fancy plate welded on there too with production number. Props to @FT-86speedfactory for taking care of me and dealing with me and my questions! Will be back to shop for more stuff! fantastic customer service and super chill dudes!

Installation:

I didn't have the liberty to install the parts myself since I have been quite busy at the shop and well, my local muffler guy was willing to do it for me, sooo from what he said, it was an easy install that took an hour and a half and this is for the header, OP, and FP. If you want to see underneath the and pictures of the boxes, they are on my instagram account whoaitsallen.

Sound:

let's say it's FREAKIN MEAN! EL header is def what I like and it sounds fantastic! it's a lot louder than the test pipe and catback, but holy balls when you open it up, it's mean! Def a race car type of sound! I think it may be hard to keep quiet and its something I knew I was getting into so doesn't bother me. Boxer with EL is amazing! Drone is pretty damn minimal and I'm quiet amazed at that. I guess the helmholtz canisters on the ark grip help with that. Generally speaking from 1k-3k its a nice low tone. Very aggressive. When you hit 4 and up, it gets pretty freakin mean. Coasting, it's a tuner type of sound that you can't ignore.

I tested it out on the way home from school today by opening it up and welll let's just say it's cray haha. 0-3k is pretty low and mean, and mind you there is a diff from half throttle to full haha. 4-red is just balls out mean! I can't really put it into words. it really opens up and screams "catch me if you can."

Performance:

Given there are numerous factors that come into play, I'll give my opnion based off of what I have. Here are my mods: (just the performance wise that would go hand in hand. basically exhaust list only)

vortech 9 psi tuned by FA20CLUB
HKS header
MOTIV op
MOTIV FP
ARK grip catback

So what did I notice? The car feels much..peppier! that's a great word to describe it. torque dip? what's that haha. the vortech is fantastic at helping with the dip and the FA20CLUB tune helped it more and now with the header and op,fp combo, there is no torque dip. There were times on the freeway I wanted to get around some traffic into an open lane to feel what everything does together and let's just say again, no torque dip. immediate response, immediate pull, and the top is pulls even harder! power is very good all throughout the power band, but i noticed more kick in the top end. i do realize that the FA20CLUB tune focuses more on the top end, but since i've been driving the car with the tune then added header and op and fp today, it's definitely a big difference!

Overall impressions:

Pros:
-great packaging
-ft86speedfactory did amazing with helping me out
-install wasn't too bad so I was told
- amazing sound
-little loud, but gotta get used to it like I did when i first got the test pipe and ark grip on
- power all throughout the power band
-immediate response
-high end power is stronger along with mid
-big difference with power
-weight of hks vs stock manifold is a big difference
-overall big noticeable gains when driving the car. even more fun now!

cons:
- maybe a little loud for people that don't want a loud/aggressive sound. but do keep that it's a night and day diff and the sound is MUCH better!
- i believe i have the issue with the OP hitting the subframe or sway bar. i'll check into it tomorrow. i hear some rattling going on, but not bad. i'm just picky. I'm running a cusco sway bar the thickest one. i believe 22mm?

There you have it. if you want pics of the boxes and a video of the under side installed, check out my IG: whoaitsallen. i may make a vid of sound doing pulls. not sure yet! Thanks for reading!

CORRECTION: Rattling noise was due to a broken bracket that was jingling around. Took that off and no more noise! I took a good look at the overpipe by motiv and I can confirm 100% there is NO RUBBING ISSUE OR EVEN CLOSE TO RUBBING on the sway bar or sub frame. I can literally shove my fist in there. Everything is clear of anything and everything!

Did a custom mod to the motiv FP = added the helmholtz from the ark test pipe I had on previously and had that tig welded on to the motiv FP with a cat on it. def help the rasp some and made it good for daily driving. amazing how such a thing a helmholtz make a big difference.

I want to thank :

The Muffler Man
467 Industrial Way
Placentia, CA 92870
714 524 7818
If and when you call, ask for Lee. He runs the shop and he is absolutely amazing!! He does all custom work and can do anything you want. His prices are DAMN GOOD too! Tell him Allen sent ya and he will hook you up!

Last edited by ft86me; 08-09-2013 at 10:00 PM.
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
8686 (08-08-2013), FT-86 SpeedFactory (11-26-2013), Propaganda (08-08-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Figo

Drives: Vortech Supercharged FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
Alright another review with basically no pics or sound haha. I just got it installed today so bare with me, but on my instagram account there is a video of the under side of the car with the full exhaust system.

initial reactions to the hks header, motiv fp, motiv op (i had the ark from before):

HKS came in a HKS genuine parts box and was packed VERY WELL with an extra baggy with OEM gaskets an extra sensor and instructions in JDM and in english haha. Downside, no swag despite spending a pretty penny, but it's all good!
Motiv op and fp came in the same box but packaged nicely! Got a free shirt and swag and hardware to do the installation. The bends are pretty damn clean and the welds are pretty freakin good! I was amazed at the price vs quality. They have a fancy plate welded on there too with production number. Props to @FT-86speedfactory for taking care of me and dealing with me and my questions! Will be back to shop for more stuff! fantastic customer service and super chill dudes!

Installation:

I didn't have the liberty to install the parts myself since I have been quite busy at the shop and well, my local muffler guy was willing to do it for me, sooo from what he said, it was an easy install that took an hour and a half and this is for the header, OP, and FP. If you want to see underneath the and pictures of the boxes, they are on my instagram account whoaitsallen.

Sound:

let's say it's FREAKIN MEAN! EL header is def what I like and it sounds fantastic! it's a lot louder than the test pipe and catback, but holy balls when you open it up, it's mean! Def a race car type of sound! I think it may be hard to keep quiet and its something I knew I was getting into so doesn't bother me. Boxer with EL is amazing! Drone is pretty damn minimal and I'm quiet amazed at that. I guess the helmholtz canisters on the ark grip help with that. Generally speaking from 1k-3k its a nice low tone. Very aggressive. When you hit 4 and up, it gets pretty freakin mean. Coasting, it's a tuner type of sound that you can't ignore.

I tested it out on the way home from school today by opening it up and welll let's just say it's cray haha. 0-3k is pretty low and mean, and mind you there is a diff from half throttle to full haha. 4-red is just balls out mean! I can't really put it into words. it really opens up and screams "catch me if you can."

Performance:

Given there are numerous factors that come into play, I'll give my opnion based off of what I have. Here are my mods: (just the performance wise that would go hand in hand. basically exhaust list only)

vortech 9 psi tuned by FA20CLUB
HKS header
MOTIV op
MOTIV FP
ARK grip catback

So what did I notice? The car feels much..peppier! that's a great word to describe it. torque dip? what's that haha. the vortech is fantastic at helping with the dip and the FA20CLUB tune helped it more and now with the header and op,fp combo, there is no torque dip. There were times on the freeway I wanted to get around some traffic into an open lane to feel what everything does together and let's just say again, no torque dip. immediate response, immediate pull, and the top is pulls even harder! power is very good all throughout the power band, but i noticed more kick in the top end. i do realize that the FA20CLUB tune focuses more on the top end, but since i've been driving the car with the tune then added header and op and fp today, it's definitely a big difference!

Overall impressions:

Pros:
-great packaging
-ft86speedfactory did amazing with helping me out
-install wasn't too bad so I was told
- amazing sound
-little loud, but gotta get used to it like I did when i first got the test pipe and ark grip on
- power all throughout the power band
-immediate response
-high end power is stronger along with mid
-big difference with power
-weight of hks vs stock manifold is a big difference
-overall big noticeable gains when driving the car. even more fun now!

cons:
- maybe a little loud for people that don't want a loud/aggressive sound. but do keep that it's a night and day diff and the sound is MUCH better!
- i believe i have the issue with the OP hitting the subframe or sway bar. i'll check into it tomorrow. i hear some rattling going on, but not bad. i'm just picky. I'm running a cusco sway bar the thickest one. i believe 22mm?

There you have it. if you want pics of the boxes and a video of the under side installed, check out my IG: whoaitsallen. i may make a vid of sound doing pulls. not sure yet! Thanks for reading!

CORRECTION: Rattling noise was due to a broken bracket that was jingling around. Took that off and no more noise! I took a good look at the overpipe by motiv and I can confirm 100% there is NO RUBBING ISSUE OR EVEN CLOSE TO RUBBING on the sway bar or sub frame. I can literally shove my fist in there. Everything is clear of anything and everything!

Did a custom mod to the motiv FP = added the helmholtz from the ark test pipe I had on previously and had that tig welded on to the motiv FP with a cat on it. def help the rasp some and made it good for daily driving. amazing how such a thing a helmholtz make a big difference.

I want to thank :

The Muffler Man
467 Industrial Way
Placentia, CA 92870
714 524 7818
If and when you call, ask for Lee. He runs the shop and he is absolutely amazing!! He does all custom work and can do anything you want. His prices are DAMN GOOD too! Tell him Allen sent ya and he will hook you up!

Thank you so much!

I hav ARK Grip on my car and I LOVE it.

I was thinking to get HKS EL header also.

Is it possible for you to give me a link of your car's video?

I really want to hear the sound first.

Thank you!

( White Tiger ) - FiGo's 車誌.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Figo For This Useful Post:
ft86me (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figo View Post
Thank you so much!

I hav ARK Grip on my car and I LOVE it.

I was thinking to get HKS EL header also.

Is it possible for you to give me a link of your car's video?

I really want to hear the sound first.

Thank you!
Hey dude if you have instagram , look me up on there. Whoaitsallen. I have some videos of my car while doing some pulls and driving around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Figo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
Hey dude if you have instagram , look me up on there. Whoaitsallen. I have some videos of my car while doing some pulls and driving around.

I will check it out tonight, hah. Now Im at work.
Thank u so much.

Btw is the sound similar to the red car below?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phf07oHkiZs"]HKS EL full exhaust vs Borla UEL full Exhaust on the Scion FR-S - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2dhQgYaMtg"]HKS EL Header with T1R Catback on Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ - YouTube[/ame]

Old 11-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
ft86me

Quote:
Thank u so much.

Anytime!! It's meaner in person!

Old 11-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
ramiram1984

Drives: 2016 STi DGM
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
and

Quote:
Thank u so much.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=c6ULcSDXn88"]DGM BRZ & SILVER FR-S = headers & exhaust on both - YouTube[/ame]
Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Figo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiram1984 View Post

Thank you hah. I like both the EL and UEL sound.

So the sound of header will determine it right?

Which means no matter I got ARK Grip or other catback, the sound will be similar with the same EL or UEL header...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQQGcSFy1Xw"]Ark grip exhaust fr-s - YouTube[/ame]

this one is kinda horrible...with UEL and ARK Grip..

Old 11-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
ft86me

Uel subbie rumble. El no subie rumble

Old 11-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #9
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Header will change the sound but so will a cat back....more so with the exhaust after the header
Old 11-26-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Looking good.
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote