follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Marketplace > User/Vendor/Sponsor Reviews, Feedback, Comments

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #15
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Gameboys sell many millions of copies, reducing price because development is spread over greater volume. The same company also sells the games. OFT is pretty niche product that doesn't sell nearly as many copies.

Lack of hardware support aside, I've been pretty happy with mine for 500 bucks. If you think of it as a hobbyist-grade product then it's fine. If you want something more professional there are more professional solutions.
I wasn't hoping for it to turn my car into a track monster. I wanted it to do exactly as you described. As a hobbyist-grade product. I also expect it to work properly or at the very least have some support behind it. $500 is too much money to spend on something that doesn't work properly,even if it is just "hobbyist-grade".

For as cheap and the tablet it,with low end hardware,and abysmal support,this device is way overpriced in my book. It probably shouldn't be a cent over $300,imo.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
Plumbus (07-31-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #16
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
I wasn't hoping for it to turn my car into a track monster. I wanted it to do exactly as you described. As a hobbyist-grade product. I also expect it to work properly or at the very least have some support behind it. $500 is too much money to spend on something that doesn't work properly,even if it is just "hobbyist-grade".

For as cheap and the tablet it,with low end hardware,and abysmal support,this device is way overpriced in my book. It probably shouldn't be a cent over $300,imo.
Did you actually pay $500 for a used one?
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #17
Th3rdSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Did you actually pay $500 for a used one?
Oh,hell no!I was referring to how much they cost brand new. I paid the usual $400,but after what I went through,hearing all of the problems,and the lack in quality hardware,I can't see how this thing is worth more than $300.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:15 PM   #18
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Oh,hell no!I was referring to how much they cost brand new. I paid the usual $400,but after what I went through,hearing all of the problems,and the lack in quality hardware,I can't see how this thing is worth more than $300.
The hardware is the cheap part, what you are really paying for is their development time. Your next option is a tactrix cable which would be way over anyone's head that can't figure out an OFT.

Even when the stock tune is reverted the OFT needs unmarried to be paired with a different car.

Openflash as a company sucks. I bought my v1 tablet used a long time ago and have had no issues. Lucky I guess
Teseo (09-18-2021)
Old 07-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #19
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
The hardware is an off the shelf OBD programmer made in china, OFT don't make them.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Spuds (07-17-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:03 PM   #20
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Bought mine used for $300 from a member in here several years ago. Installed header/overpipe, loaded the tune and never had issues.
Tail pipes were very sooty so I got another member in here(Tor) change to some things on the tune to keep the car from running so rich.
There's probably hundreds of us using this thing in here and there is bound to be an issue arise with it's hardware or software just like any
electronic device. Buying it new and this situation happening is unacceptable but buying anything used comes with some possible caveats.

Enough people just reselling it probably has the owner not feeling it when people complain about a product of his that is being passed around
without him making anything off of it is my guess maybe why customer service is piss poor? Many companies offer nothing for help once a product
changes hands, nothing new really. Not defending bad customer service just saying this is normal.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Impureclient For This Useful Post:
Spuds (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #21
Th3rdSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impureclient View Post
Enough people just reselling it probably has the owner not feeling it when people complain about a product of his that is being passed around
without him making anything off of it is my guess maybe why customer service is piss poor? Many companies offer nothing for help once a product
changes hands, nothing new really. Not defending bad customer service just saying this is normal.
Openflash may not feel good about it,but they have it built into the device that it can only be erased a certain amount of times(three from what I've read)and then you have to get erase credits. I don't know if they charge for the credits,but if they are so concerned about losing money from the resale market,maybe they should.Doesn't ECUtek make you buy another license if you buy it second hand?

Maybe making that extra money from erase credits would be economically advantageous for them to provide better support,especially to those that bought it second hand.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:21 AM   #22
aw11

Drives: '16 FR-S, '02 GTI VR6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I posted this in another thread but it fits here too.

I ordered a flex fuel kit from them near the end of March. In April I got an email that my order was shipping, but the tracking info still has it in pre-shipment. I wasn't in a rush so I waited a couple weeks, but still no update. I emailed them in May asking for updates and they let me know that harnesses were delayed due to COVID but they should be able to get it sent out in the next couple days.

That was about two months ago and they haven't responded to any of my emails since then. I can understand slow responses to support questions and things like that where they aren't making any money and I wouldn't have an issue with that. My issue is that I spent over $500 and have yet to even get any updates, let alone receive my flex fuel kit.
aw11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aw11 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (07-21-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #23
MaxTurbo

Drives: Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw11 View Post
I posted this in another thread but it fits here too.

I ordered a flex fuel kit from them near the end of March. In April I got an email that my order was shipping, but the tracking info still has it in pre-shipment. I wasn't in a rush so I waited a couple weeks, but still no update. I emailed them in May asking for updates and they let me know that harnesses were delayed due to COVID but they should be able to get it sent out in the next couple days.

That was about two months ago and they haven't responded to any of my emails since then. I can understand slow responses to support questions and things like that where they aren't making any money and I wouldn't have an issue with that. My issue is that I spent over $500 and have yet to even get any updates, let alone receive my flex fuel kit.
This all sounds like a company going under and about to close doors. I have experience it before with other stores/companies. Your best bet is to contact your bank, tell them the story and have them charge back your money.

I had to do that many years ago against EMS Powered, an MR2 SW20 online store back in the late 2000s. They were great until they weren't and stopped responding and shipping orders. My bank charged back. Later I learned that the owner was deep in debt and lost control of the business.
MaxTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaxTurbo For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (07-21-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #24
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Personally I love my OFT. I bought mine new and have used all of the different tunes at various points (stage 1, stage 2, stage 2+ E85). I've tracked on the tunes and datalogged using the OFT device itself. Of course the tunes do better with some small adjustments for your specific car, fuel, and environment (they are just OTS tunes, duh) but they are also absolutely fine as-is, especially for street use. As far as I'm aware, there are literally NO other devices on the market like the OFT for our cars (i.e., ECU-flashing device and data-logger). None.

It doesn't surprise me that support for products purchased second hand is poor, but that's also the case with most products. Companies want you to purchase new so that they can make money. The less money they make, the less time they're going to devote to that platform and continue further development with it. Ends up in a vicious downward spiral and that's why the business model for OFT is what it is.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Impureclient (07-18-2020), norcalpb (07-29-2020), Teseo (09-18-2021), YamahaR86 (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #25
MaxTurbo

Drives: Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
As far as I'm aware, there are literally NO other devices on the market like the OFT for our cars (i.e., ECU-flashing device and data-logger). None.
For the price maybe. EcuTek Bluetooth dongle lest you log via your phone or PC. I do it all the time and just upload the log files to my cloud storage and have access to them from anywhere else. If you have just a standard license, then you can't do anything else other than flashing the ROMs provided by your tuner and log data. But you can get more expensive licenses and software. At a much higher price than OFT.

The only attractiveness to OFT is the cost, aside from that there's not much going for it. I have owned both.
MaxTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #26
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTurbo View Post
For the price maybe. EcuTek Bluetooth dongle lest you log via your phone or PC. I do it all the time and just upload the log files to my cloud storage and have access to them from anywhere else. If you have just a standard license, then you can't do anything else other than flashing the ROMs provided by your tuner and log data. But you can get more expensive licenses and software. At a much higher price than OFT.

The only attractiveness to OFT is the cost, aside from that there's not much going for it. I have owned both.
From the way you describe it, it sounds like you need to supply your own device to datalog with EcuTek. For the price of the OFT, you get that logging device included. If you're using your cell phone as a lap timer, I think you would need to buy a separate device to datalog with EcuTek.

How much would it cost to be able to be able to change your own tune and flash to your car with EcuTek? I don't think I've heard of anyone doing that.

Point is, OFT is the only standalone data-logging and flashing device for our cars.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Teseo (09-18-2021)
Old 07-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #27
Th3rdSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
From the way you describe it, it sounds like you need to supply your own device to datalog with EcuTek. For the price of the OFT, you get that logging device included. If you're using your cell phone as a lap timer, I think you would need to buy a separate device to datalog with EcuTek.

How much would it cost to be able to be able to change your own tune and flash to your car with EcuTek? I don't think I've heard of anyone doing that.

Point is, OFT is the only standalone data-logging and flashing device for our cars.
If only Cobb Accessport worked on our cars. It would pretty much put OFT completely out of business,right,or is it just as bad?
The Following User Says Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
Teseo (09-18-2021)
Old 07-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #28
DarkSunrise

Quote:
If only Cobb Accessport worked on our cars. It would pretty much put OFT completely out of business,right?
I think so, although I don't know enough about Accessport to say how (or if) it would be better or what additional features it would offer. Definitely a slicker design aesthetically. And probably better customer service

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build