follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Test Drove an FR-S!

Now that that's out of the way. Yes it's probably not that exciting to read about someone test driving an FR-S now that there's quite a few people taking deliveries of their cars, not to mention any impressions one might have has already been said in other reviews/test drives.

But still, I was pretty damn excited today. We were on our way to the office I work at (my Dad drops me off) and going through our usual route through the auto square in Cerritos. Approaching an intersection while thinking *c'mon green light c'mon green light c'mon green light*. And then it turned yellow, and red. So there we were, stopped at a red light - Power Toyota of Cerritos to the right. Checked my phone for texts, facebook messages, etc. Then I look up and this Ultramarine FR-S drives right out of the Toyota dealership with the window sticker Just yesterday I was at Carson Toyota checking out the FR-S they got, and now I see another one also close by (to where I work anyway). I think it's a sign.

So at around lunch I called the salesperson I had talked to at that dealership before to see if that FR-S I saw was for sale. Apparently they had gotten about 5 FR-Ss today and all but one was pre-sold, and it was an automatic. So I thought ok, if I can test drive the car it'll be fine, plus I get to try out the 6AT (ordered a 6MT) to see what it's like. By the time I get there, after work (4:40-ish) the only one left was the Raven FR-S with 6AT.

And oh man. <insert everything you've already read about the FR-S here>. I would even say it was like driving a baby Z4M Coupe, except for the 6AT. Everything the Z4MC does, but turned down a few notches. And I was really surprised to find how intuitive the paddle shifters were to me. It was my first time trying it out (have only driven 6MTs, except for my Dad's Civic 5AT which doesn't have the paddles obviously) and I've read about how some people find it easier to shift up/down using the shift lever. I liked the steering wheel paddles. Must be all those Gran Turismo/NFS games I grew up playing, using the L1/R1 buttons to shift lol

I was afraid the lack of power this car has would completely turn me off, but now I know I won't be disappointed if I decide to get one. Still definitely going to be adding more power if I do though. Pickup was ok, I kept looking for that push you back in your seat feeling I got from the Z4MC and NSX but it just wasn't there. Not that I redlined the car or anything. I stayed under 4K RPM for the most part, went to 5k accidentally twice.

Oh and I apologize for the pictures, it was a bad time to take pics (sun was out and looking directly at the FR-S, must want one too).

Last edited by Gaiakai; 05-30-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Gaiakai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaiakai For This Useful Post:
MVJ1975 (05-29-2012), normancw (05-29-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
PBM317

Drives: Scion
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice! But what Civic has a 6AT?
PBM317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)