follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-30-2014, 12:55 AM   #995
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
1: what are the red things under your gas pedal?

2: did you ever figure out what the white car was?

3: the GT3 RS driver had a $500 bet on the line for his lap time. Do you feel like that bet provided additional motivation to push his car and himself harder than he otherwise would have? Please cite your sources using mla format.

Awesome video, that looks like a lot of fun.

1) throttle extensions that attach to the plate to allow easier heel/toe
2) Nope. Anyone know?
3) Maybe. He's a really talented driver regardless, though. I thought this technique he mentions in the comment section was interesting:

[ It's actually part of the trick of making these Hoosier R6 "R compound" tyres turn their best lap when they are brand new. They are a bit squiggly (compared to slicks). But if you look at lots of my corners I use a rather aggressive turn-in, the back end starts to break away, I counter steer a little and then continue turn-in again. This is not an effective technique for racing as it is very hard on the tyres. But for quali/time trialling it is very good for turn 1-2 fast laps. ]
gramicci101 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 01:10 AM   #996
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
^ I was wondering about about the corrections mid turn, that explains it, thanks!
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:11 AM   #997
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,180 Times in 6,836 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp1 View Post
I just came back from Watkins Glen with your recommended -3.4f and -2.7r camber with zero toe - fantastic setup for my needs. Wasn't pushing hard as it was my first time on track with the FR-S but I managed to get within half a second from my fastest time in Lotus Elise...and I barely heard the toyo ra1 tires...and Ohlins R&T worked great...and there is so much more left to explore...love this car on track and it's great as a daily with Ohlins.

AP Racing Sprint BBK with XP12 all round worked great for late and hard braking...and the Jackson Racing SC worked great.

Thanks for your suggestion @CSG Mike!
Glad it worked for you

Let us know if you're considering anything else for your car!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:12 AM   #998
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Seems to be the popular choice of line through there, but do you also stay inside before hitting T1?

There is a spot where you can apply this approach at SoW going CCW, I do this in GT6 in a bone stock '12 FR-S seems to be the fastest way around there. If only I had the 'Ca-hones' to do it in real life. IF you dont slow down fast enough you will get launched out of a banked turn sideways. Should be worth some good air time. lol I seem to be about 13-15 seconds faster in GT6 than real life with better tires and alignment....
Hell, no I start wide for T1. The few hundredths is not worth it at my level.

Double apex sliding into the bowl is the fastest line, but yes, if you miss it, then you launch off sideways...
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
solidONE (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 01:14 AM   #999
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Makes sense, the problem is the exit of turn 6 is a BIG uphill climb. When I stay in 4th, I am lugging up the hill because I don't carry enough speed through the corner like Pobst does. Staying in 3rd allows you to keep the momentum going, but you sacrifice some peak speed coming into 6. If I sharpen my line, then maybe I can carry the speed through 6 that allows me to stay in 4th like Pobst.
What's your T6 apex speed? You should be at 85+.

Your T4 should be flat without lifting at the top of 3rd/bottom of 4th, and T5 should be just a very light brush on the brakes. T6 should be a brief lift at most.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:16 AM   #1000
CSG Mike

Quote:
Well that makes me feel better that I can't manage to hit the first apex end up trailbraking. I guess that's a good way to do it, then. LOL

I try to mimic this guy, but can't :

J**** that's fast.

*edit* I'm less impressed after finding out the car is on hoosiers.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:39 AM   #1001
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well that makes me feel better that I can't manage to hit the first apex end up trailbraking. I guess that's a good way to do it, then. LOL

I'm a bit better here, but still not hitting it like the guy above

Dude looks like a older Jorge Lorenzo. Fast like him too.... Also he is jabbing at the steering way more, telling me he is pushing the tires HARD. Am I wrong with that assessment?
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:51 AM   #1002
CSG David

Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Dude looks like a older Jorge Lorenzo. Fast like him too.... Also he is jabbing at the steering way more, telling me he is pushing the tires HARD. Am I wrong with that assessment?
I hear hitting those red curbs cuts laptimes like hot cakes.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
solidONE (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 02:00 AM   #1003
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
I hear hitting those red curbs cuts laptimes like hot cakes.
I will remember to carry some hot cakes in the glove compartment next time.

*note to self*

self... remember to buy or make hot cakes for next track day.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
fooddude (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 02:09 AM   #1004
RehabJeff86

Drives: 2013 WhiteOut FR-S
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
What's your T6 apex speed? You should be at 85+.

Your T4 should be flat without lifting at the top of 3rd/bottom of 4th, and T5 should be just a very light brush on the brakes. T6 should be a brief lift at most.

I tried 85 once but spun out at T6, also tried flat out T4 and no bueno... This is with Rivals will see if NT01 can do better

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkfQ

2013 Scion FR-S whiteout
2012 Porsche Panamera S carbon grey
2008 Range Rover Sport SS black - sold
2004 BMW M3 alpine wies - sold
RehabJeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:46 AM   #1005
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehabJeff86 View Post
I tried 85 once but spun out at T6, also tried flat out T4 and no bueno... This is with Rivals will see if NT01 can do better

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkfQ
You have to balance the car in T4, but it should be doable with the right line, with plenty of track to spare.

Make sure you ARE using the berms; they give you an extra ~5 feet in turn radius.

T6, you have to steer in for the dip, and then ease up on steering as you come out. Take advantage of the track surface.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
RehabJeff86 (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 02:59 AM   #1006
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm a bit better here, but still not hitting it like the guy above

It's difficult trying to interpret what's happening from these videos, but here's what I see: The Stiglet (heh) turns in earlier than you, is on a "flatter" approach, and is describing more of a parabolic line than your more rounded line.

Stiglet's line probably allows later braking, and because it's so flat (nearly straight), he can brake harder down into the apex and carry more speed than you up to that point. His parabolic line appears to use less road out to the right at mid-corner compared to your line.

This appears to be one of those corners where one does not WANT to use all of the available road.

At the "pointy end" of the parabola, Stiglet makes a sharper turn, mid-corner, than you do. Observe the amount of steering lock that he needs to dial in mid-corner; it's much more than you (and I doubt that's all attributable to differences in your respective steering rack ratios). That engine hung out behind the rear axle probably helps him flick that thing around briskly. The trick (as always) is to keep that all under control and pointed in the right direction.

Stiglet makes this into a sharper, single radius corner, while your approach makes it into a 2-part decreasing radius corner.

So? What should you do to try this?

Turn in just a bit sooner on a flatter trajectory down towards that first apex. Get that left front wheel right down there. Take it slowly, though, because now you've got a shorter radius turn (sharper at mid-corner) to get it headed back towards your second "apex." Start ridiculously slow, and then work the speed up. At some point you should feel that you've reached a happy compromise between the sharper mid-corner turn and the benefit of carrying much more speed down into that mid-corner flick.

I see it as the REAL APEX is out in the center of the road, mid-corner; you just happen to clip the borders of the roadside on the way into and then out of that corner.

If you find you're dropping a wheel off into the OUTSIDE dirt at midcorner, I think you've charged in a wee bit too fast, so slow it down.

You don't want to find yourself sitting upside down in the dirt outside 2-3, hanging from your belts, and saying, "Oh, okay..."

Last edited by Porsche; 04-30-2014 at 03:16 AM.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (04-30-2014), kavanagh (04-30-2014), orthojoe (04-30-2014), solidONE (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 03:04 AM   #1007
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
1) throttle extensions that attach to the plate to allow easier heel/toe
2) Nope. Anyone know?
3) Maybe. He's a really talented driver regardless, though. I thought this technique he mentions in the comment section was interesting:

[ It's actually part of the trick of making these Hoosier R6 "R compound" tyres turn their best lap when they are brand new. They are a bit squiggly (compared to slicks). But if you look at lots of my corners I use a rather aggressive turn-in, the back end starts to break away, I counter steer a little and then continue turn-in again. This is not an effective technique for racing as it is very hard on the tyres. But for quali/time trialling it is very good for turn 1-2 fast laps. ]

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Really hard on his front tires, generating a lot of understeer mid-corner. I could see the fronts overheating and going away after not many laps despite the lightweight front end on those 911s.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:31 AM   #1008
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,376 Times in 4,136 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Yes, the CSG BRZ still uses the stock sways. While their contribution to roll stiffness is minimal, we use them to "tidy up" the suspension. In essence, their purpose is to connect two sides to make the suspension work more efficiently, rather than to prevent body roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by major quicknap View Post
Could you elaborate on that? I thought the fact that a sway bar ties the wheels together was a bad thing. That is, some of the wheel's independence was lost.
Would you be so kind as to comment on this?

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote