follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2015, 05:49 AM   #1
smudge

Drives: Supercharged GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Bucket seats - airbag issue

In the UK, hardly anyone has put bucket seats into their 86/BRZ due to the airbag issue

From what I can read, there is a sensor which will leave the airbag light on the dash unless you use some form of a resistor to "trick" the system, but should this resistor fail or fall out of the plug, the airbags could be deployed?

How have you guys dealt with this issue? Is there a "plug + play" piece of kit that plugs into the airbag sensor on the seat wiring rather than just sticking a resistor in and hoping it stays?
smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
the resistor plugs in to the airbag sensor plug and it tricks the system in thinking that there is a valid connection. most people just tape it up with electric tape to help prevent it from falling out. if it falls out, it shouldn't cause the airbag to deploy (can't really guarantee when messing around with electric) and just the airbag error light will turn on.

this is an easy fix for the driver seat. for the passenger seat, you have to do this plus address the issue with the seatbelt sensor.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #3
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge View Post
In the UK, hardly anyone has put bucket seats into their 86/BRZ due to the airbag issue

From what I can read, there is a sensor which will leave the airbag light on the dash unless you use some form of a resistor to "trick" the system, but should this resistor fail or fall out of the plug, the airbags could be deployed?

How have you guys dealt with this issue? Is there a "plug + play" piece of kit that plugs into the airbag sensor on the seat wiring rather than just sticking a resistor in and hoping it stays?
The resistor lead is a pretty tight fit in the sockets, not going to fall out - have to use pliers to insert into the sockets if you get the right rated one. Then tape over the connector and heat shrink to keep junk out and there will be no issue. How could a failed resistor set off the airbag...you've removed the airbag and I'm fairly certain all the different airbags are independently routed electrically with a sensor for each that determines when it should be deployed. It will just result in an SRS light come on.

Passenger seat is more complicated because of the seat sensor...and has been finicky for many people. Stock seat is good enough for the passenger IMO, no reason to change it out unless you really want to spend the money on matching seats. For me that near $2k is much better spent elsewhere...
smudge (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 06:51 AM   #4
smudge

Yeah I was only wanting to do the driver seat really, unless I saw a pair of seats at a good price for what I want, don't think that's an option...

Thanks for the reassurance on the resistor fitment. Wasn't sure how tight a connection it would be but I suppose the tape and shrink wrap would keep it secure
Old 08-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
8R6

Quote:
Yeah I was only wanting to do the driver seat really, unless I saw a pair of seats at a good price for what I want, don't think that's an option...

Thanks for the reassurance on the resistor fitment. Wasn't sure how tight a connection it would be but I suppose the tape and shrink wrap would keep it secure
the resistor fits in pretty snug in the plug. once you plug it in, you'll see that it doesnt easily slip in/out. i just covered it in electric tape after to keep dust/gunk out, tucked it under the seat and ziptied.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:

I have your solution as I have both the driver and passenger seats swapped out for bride zeta III's. The difference between what I have done from most people on here is use a resistor that is offered for purchase by Bride specifically for our car and install the seat occupancy sensor. I'm sure it's applicable to other vehicles as well, but they have it available for our car. Does the bride resistor have a difference with other resistors? Not sure, but I haven't had issues so, with that being said, here we go:

For the drivers side, I basically installed the seat and spliced the Bride resistor into the chassis side of the airbag connector. So, take off some of the shielding and solder the bride resistor into the wires for the yellow connector on the chassis side of the car. No specific wire needs to go to another wire, just one wire soldered to one and the other to another. one to one, that's it. After that, no air bag light and done.

As for the passenger, it's a little trickier. Same thing, using a bride resistor, take off the shielding for the wire on the yellow connector on the chassis side and solder the bride resistor in to the two wires (yellow connector). That will cancel the airbag light. Now the other part! If you want things to work properly like factory, you will need to take out the seat occupancy sensor in the factory passenger seat. Remove the cushion on the top and under the top cushion you will see a plastic green and grey type of sheet that is on the seat. When someone sits on this it notices there is someone or something there and it will trigger the "passenger on" function and will cause your seatbelt 2 light to come on. Some people have tucked the the sensor under the carpet and have had the "passenger airbag on" light on but the seatbelt sensor would be going haywire unless you have the seatbelt buckled in or have a dummy seatbelt connector plugged in. Solution: again, get the top part of the cushion off and take out the seat occupancy sensor but be careful. It is glued so slowly peel it, you will need to take the fabric off the top or shove your hand in deep and half way through the seat you will need to remove a bar that is holding the fabric to the seat otherwise you can't access the back of the sensor. Once you have it free, take off the actual sensor with the clip from the passenger seat, disconnect the sensor, and feed it through the passenger seat. Take the sensor you just pulled out (the grey and green plastic ish occupancy sensor) and place it under the fabric of your new seats and lay it out as it was on the passenger OEM seat. Feed the connector under the seat and plug it into the OEM seat occupancy sensor (with the plug) and plug it in. There you have it. If you have done it correctly, when you turn the car on and no one is there, it will still say "passenger airbag off" and no airbag light will be one due to the resistor being in line. Now take a seat on the passenger side, notice that it then says "passenger airbag on" and plug the seatbelt in and should be good. Everything should function like how it was from the factory. I can personally say this works, because mine works just like the factory seats were in with no airbag lights or issues.

Any questions, ask away! Hope this helps and hope this was clear.

Last edited by ft86me; 08-26-2015 at 10:17 PM.
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ft86me For This Useful Post:
smudge (08-27-2015), zeal86 (03-04-2017)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:40 PM   #7
CB390248

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8R6 View Post
the resistor plugs in to the airbag sensor plug and it tricks the system in thinking that there is a valid connection. most people just tape it up with electric tape to help prevent it from falling out. if it falls out, it shouldn't cause the airbag to deploy (can't really guarantee when messing around with electric) and just the airbag error light will turn on.

this is an easy fix for the driver seat. for the passenger seat, you have to do this plus address the issue with the seatbelt sensor.
Question: does this trick the airbag 'light' and turn the warning light off only or trick the airbag 'system' and enable the airbag to still deploy properly? I ask because I bought brz limited seats from a forum user whom I think removed at least the passenger airbag sensor mechanism before selling them to me (without mentioning this). Of course he hasn't logged in again since selling them to me...
CB390248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:35 AM   #8
8R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB390248 View Post
Question: does this trick the airbag 'light' and turn the warning light off only or trick the airbag 'system' and enable the airbag to still deploy properly? I ask because I bought brz limited seats from a forum user whom I think removed at least the passenger airbag sensor mechanism before selling them to me (without mentioning this). Of course he hasn't logged in again since selling them to me...
The resistor tricks the system in thinking there no missing connections, which is why the airbag warning light stays turned off. The remaining airbags in the rest of the car will then continue to function as "normal" when needed. If your seat however is missing the airbag sensor because of the previous owner, then basically your seat will be just like any other aftermarket seat that has no seat airbag. If the passenger seat sensor is the one that's missing, more than likely the previous owner took it out to reuse in their new seat (just like how it's explained in the previous post by @ft86me )
Old 08-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #9
smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
I have your solution as I have both the driver and passenger seats swapped out for bride zeta III's. The difference between what I have done from most people on here is use a resistor that is offered for purchase by Bride specifically for our car and install the seat occupancy sensor. I'm sure it's applicable to other vehicles as well, but they have it available for our car. Does the bride resistor have a difference with other resistors? Not sure, but I haven't had issues so, with that being said, here we go:

For the drivers side, I basically installed the seat and spliced the Bride resistor into the chassis side of the airbag connector. So, take off some of the shielding and solder the bride resistor into the wires for the yellow connector on the chassis side of the car. No specific wire needs to go to another wire, just one wire soldered to one and the other to another. one to one, that's it. After that, no air bag light and done.

As for the passenger, it's a little trickier. Same thing, using a bride resistor, take off the shielding for the wire on the yellow connector on the chassis side and solder the bride resistor in to the two wires (yellow connector). That will cancel the airbag light. Now the other part! If you want things to work properly like factory, you will need to take out the seat occupancy sensor in the factory passenger seat. Remove the cushion on the top and under the top cushion you will see a plastic green and grey type of sheet that is on the seat. When someone sits on this it notices there is someone or something there and it will trigger the "passenger on" function and will cause your seatbelt 2 light to come on. Some people have tucked the the sensor under the carpet and have had the "passenger airbag on" light on but the seatbelt sensor would be going haywire unless you have the seatbelt buckled in or have a dummy seatbelt connector plugged in. Solution: again, get the top part of the cushion off and take out the seat occupancy sensor but be careful. It is glued so slowly peel it, you will need to take the fabric off the top or shove your hand in deep and half way through the seat you will need to remove a bar that is holding the fabric to the seat otherwise you can't access the back of the sensor. Once you have it free, take off the actual sensor with the clip from the passenger seat, disconnect the sensor, and feed it through the passenger seat. Take the sensor you just pulled out (the grey and green plastic ish occupancy sensor) and place it under the fabric of your new seats and lay it out as it was on the passenger OEM seat. Feed the connector under the seat and plug it into the OEM seat occupancy sensor (with the plug) and plug it in. There you have it. If you have done it correctly, when you turn the car on and no one is there, it will still say "passenger airbag off" and no airbag light will be one due to the resistor being in line. Now take a seat on the passenger side, notice that it then says "passenger airbag on" and plug the seatbelt in and should be good. Everything should function like how it was from the factory. I can personally say this works, because mine works just like the factory seats were in with no airbag lights or issues.

Any questions, ask away! Hope this helps and hope this was clear.
Do you have a link to where I can buy the Bride resistor kit?
Old 08-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #10
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you have a link to where I can buy the Bride resistor kit?

Unfortunately I don't. I know someone that works there but they are not in sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #11
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
This upcoming 86 nanny will do what you want and a lot more

http://www.beastronix.com/news/86nan...t-pedal-dance/

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #12
smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
Unfortunately I don't. I know someone that works there but they are not in sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Could you try and get some more info for me please?
Old 08-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #13
smudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
This upcoming 86 nanny will do what you want and a lot more

http://www.beastronix.com/news/86nan...t-pedal-dance/
I'm not familiar with this? What is it? What is pedal dance?
Old 08-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #14
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Quote:
I'm not familiar with this? What is it? What is pedal dance?
Easier to read the site info. Too much to explain here. Basics..turns off the drivers aids such as TRAC VSC ABS on demand

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote