follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2022, 07:36 AM   #43
TheBoss77

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Day 2 at TMP:

Temperature: 25C (50kph wind)
Tire Pressure: 40PSI hot

At 25C ambient temperature, oil cooler was keeping up and keeping the oil pretty steady. The transmission oil temperature was climbing and hitting 250F after about 12-14 minutes of lapping. Strongly considering a transmission oil cooler at this point.

Next Mods: Wheels + Tires or Suspension?
TheBoss77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheBoss77 For This Useful Post:
Espi (06-18-2022), new2subaru (06-18-2022), villainous_frx (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 04:00 PM   #44
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Are you on stock tires? If so, I'd recommend stock size in a 200TW tire.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
TheBoss77 (06-25-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 05:52 PM   #45
series.trackday

Drives: '17 Subaru BRZ series.Yellow
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tires are going to gain you the biggest reduction in laptimes, but as you're still learning you should stick(pun intended) with something that's going to be hard-wearing rather than pay an extra $200+ per set of tires for something that'll wear out after 3 track weekends and 1000 miles.

From your video, it looks like you're experiencing a lot of what I'd call wallowing in turns. It could just an artifact of the video and not being able to see the bumps and undulations in the track surface though. If you are experiencing wallowing, I'd actually look at replacing your shocks; which is not what I'd usually suggest to a newbie, but if they're worn and not damping properly it can cause that wallowing effect. It's also going to make it harder for you to learn weight transfer mechanics as it won't be predictable and easy to feel.
series.trackday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to series.trackday For This Useful Post:
TheBoss77 (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 09:35 AM   #46
TheBoss77

I'm currently on stock rims and tires. I hear a lot about Hankook RS4 tires being the next logical step and that's what I'm looking at. The OEM tires are getting to the point where they should be replaced (shoulders worn, no camber on the wheels yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Are you on stock tires? If so, I'd recommend stock size in a 200TW tire.

I'm not sure what you mean by wallowing, what am I looking for to know what it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by series.trackday View Post
Tires are going to gain you the biggest reduction in laptimes, but as you're still learning you should stick(pun intended) with something that's going to be hard-wearing rather than pay an extra $200+ per set of tires for something that'll wear out after 3 track weekends and 1000 miles.

From your video, it looks like you're experiencing a lot of what I'd call wallowing in turns. It could just an artifact of the video and not being able to see the bumps and undulations in the track surface though. If you are experiencing wallowing, I'd actually look at replacing your shocks; which is not what I'd usually suggest to a newbie, but if they're worn and not damping properly it can cause that wallowing effect. It's also going to make it harder for you to learn weight transfer mechanics as it won't be predictable and easy to feel.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:16 AM   #47
series.trackday

Drives: '17 Subaru BRZ series.Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss77 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by wallowing, what am I looking for to know what it is?
When you're going through a turn, and you load up the outside quickly, the shock can't dampen the compression well enough and you end up bouncing. The feeling is that the car will "bounce" left-side-down, right-side-up; right-side-down, left-side-up; left-side-down, right-side-up; through the corner, or vice versa, depending on which way you're turning. If you're pushing hard, each bounce will result in a slight slipping of the vehicle towards the outside of the turn.

At 0:16 you enter turn 1 under slight braking and there's a distinct wobble in the viewpoint are you complete the turn, and then again partway through turn 2. You see it again around 1:08 after you complete the chicane and go through the left-hander. It could be the camera mount, could just be the surface being uneven, but to me it looks like wallowing.

You can just check yourself if you need to replace the shocks. Go out to your car, put your hands down on the fender right over one of the front wheels, and push down carefully but very firmly, to compress the suspension. If you can "feel" it pushing back up after you take your weight off it, push it back down again. If you can get a good rhythm going where it's obviously starting to bounce back higher, they're dead. If you can't tell either way, you'd have to make the call based on what you're feeling on the track and what I've described.
series.trackday is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to series.trackday For This Useful Post:
TheBoss77 (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 06:44 PM   #48
TheBoss77

Since I started racing this car I always thought that there's A LOT of body roll through the turns, especially when going through the S turn. But the suspension feels very stiff going over bumps as I can feel it travelling up my spine

The camera on the car is glued to the windshield so it's definitely not the mount, but it could be steering wheel corrections?

The suspension change is inevitable, it's simply a question of what I want to do next. Sounds like the tires are more of a necessity at this point so suspension will have to wait until next turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by series.trackday View Post
When you're going through a turn, and you load up the outside quickly, the shock can't dampen the compression well enough and you end up bouncing. The feeling is that the car will "bounce" left-side-down, right-side-up; right-side-down, left-side-up; left-side-down, right-side-up; through the corner, or vice versa, depending on which way you're turning. If you're pushing hard, each bounce will result in a slight slipping of the vehicle towards the outside of the turn.

At 0:16 you enter turn 1 under slight braking and there's a distinct wobble in the viewpoint are you complete the turn, and then again partway through turn 2. You see it again around 1:08 after you complete the chicane and go through the left-hander. It could be the camera mount, could just be the surface being uneven, but to me it looks like wallowing.

You can just check yourself if you need to replace the shocks. Go out to your car, put your hands down on the fender right over one of the front wheels, and push down carefully but very firmly, to compress the suspension. If you can "feel" it pushing back up after you take your weight off it, push it back down again. If you can get a good rhythm going where it's obviously starting to bounce back higher, they're dead. If you can't tell either way, you'd have to make the call based on what you're feeling on the track and what I've described.
Old 06-26-2022, 02:59 PM   #49
fminicooper

Drives: FRS Hot Lava
Rear shocks wear out pretty soon. I did not believe it until I chanced them with only 15K miles (severals on track)
I replaced OEM with Bilstein, quick and not expensinve job. Not aligment required after that.
Later, as I was happy with the Bilstein I did the same on the front, but front shocks were in good conditions.
fminicooper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fminicooper For This Useful Post:
TheBoss77 (06-27-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 12:13 PM   #50
TheBoss77

Took a little break from racing over the hot summer months but now I'm back at it.

Few mods added since:

- Fumoto valve for easy and quick oil changes
- Whiteline front camber bolts maxed out at -1.5deg and an alignment from friends at local TireCraft
- Fresh gulp of Motul 300V oil

Went out to the TMP and set a new PB of 1:29.39. Still running stock wheels/tires and suspension, no aero mods. After reviewing the video, there's still plenty of room for improvement without relying on additional mods. I think I can easily shave off another second or two.

Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to TheBoss77 For This Useful Post:
villainous_frx (08-18-2022)
Old 06-05-2023, 10:26 PM   #51
TheBoss77

Another season of racing is in full swing.

Shrunk the battery. About 20lbs weight saving, and no fear of battery leaks

Used this thread as an inspiration to build the battery bracket, took a slightly different approach:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...attery+bracket

No issues starting the car, even with the car sitting in the garage for a few days, started instantly each time. I am planning to add a battery cut off switch to preserve the battery when sitting for longer periods of time.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2023, 10:18 AM   #52
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
What tires are you planning to run this season ?
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:08 PM   #53
TheBoss77

I haven't decided yet. Still running stock tires until they wear out.

But I heard good things about RS4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoracer86 View Post
What tires are you planning to run this season ?
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBoss77 For This Useful Post:
autoracer86 (06-08-2023)
Old 06-10-2023, 02:27 PM   #54
TheBoss77

Installed Verus Engineering Hood Louvers to lower under-hood temperature. No rain guards, will see if this was a wise decision.

https://www.verus-engineering.com/sh...86-320#attr=13
Attached Images