follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Which jab have you had?
Pfizer 53 51.96%
Moderna 27 26.47%
Johnson & Johnson 6 5.88%
AstraZeneca 4 3.92%
Novavax 0 0%
Sputnik 1 0.98%
Convidecia 0 0%
Homebrew with a big dose of something special 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 02:38 PM   #3557
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,632 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
18 to 29yr olds are being encouraged to have jab through incentives such as free fast food, concerts and other such stuff.

Now, I don't get it as their parents would be in the age group who were one first groups to go through the jab process. So why aren't their parents telling to take jab!
You would think being safe from illness or death would be enough incentive, wouldn't you?Some people just don't get it, are concerned with what's in it for them, and are unable to grasp that they are mortal.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
JD001 (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #3558
Atmo

Drives: TBA
Thanked 1,123 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
It's easy to forget that there are other things going around too, not just covid.
Martin Kulldorff, a professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and a biostatistician and epidemiologist at the Brigham and Women's Hospital, agrees.

Twelve Forgotten Principles of Public Health

#1 Public health is about all health outcomes, not just a single disease like #COVID19. It is important to also consider harms from public health measures. #totalharms collateralglobal.org @Collateralglbl

#2 Public health is about the long term rather than the short term. Spring #COVID19 #lockdowns simply delayed and postponed the pandemic to the fall. thelancet.com/journals/lance… @johanGiesecke

#3 Public health is about everyone. It should not be used to shift the burden of disease from the affluent to the less affluent, as the #COVID19 #lockdowns have done.

#4 Public health is global. Public health scientists need to consider the global impact of their recommendations.
apnews.com/article/lifest… @lhinnant @sammednick

#5 Risks and harms cannot be completely eliminated, but they can be reduced. Elimination and zero-COVID strategies backfire, making things worse.
theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/… @JuliaLMarcus

#6 Public health should focus on high-risk populations. For #COVID19, many standard public health measures were never used to protect high-risk older people, leading to unnecessary deaths.

#7 While contact tracing and isolation is critically important for some infectious diseases, it is futile and counterproductive for common infections such as influenza and #COVID19. inference-review.com/article/on-the… @MikkoPackalen

#8 A case is only a case if a person is sick. Mass testing asymptomatic individuals is harmful to public health.

#9 Public health is about trust. To gain the trust of the public, public health officials and the media must be honest and trust the public. Shaming and fear should never be used in a pandemic. thehill.com/opinion/health… @Camakridis

#10 Public health scientists and officials must be honest with what is not known. For example, epidemic models should be run with the whole range of plausible input parameters.

#11 In public health, open civilized debate is profoundly critical. Censoring, silencing and smearing leads to fear of speaking, herd thinking and distrust. scientificamerican.com/article/the-co… @jeanneLenzer1

#12 It is important for public health scientists and officials to listen to the public, who are living the public health consequences. This pandemic has proved that many non-epidemiologists understand public health better than some epidemiologists.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...481975812.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Atmo For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (08-01-2021), MuseChaser (08-01-2021), p1l0t (08-01-2021), TylerLieberman (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #3559
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Speak for yourself
The irony of such a statement
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (08-01-2021), p1l0t (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 03:33 PM   #3560
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
I think it's under 18s.. I'm also confused about the the Covid app.. whether it's mandatory or I can choose to download it..
I don't think that's gonna work -

"Hey kids, who wants a shot"?

Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (08-01-2021), wbradley (08-03-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #3561
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
It's the Chinese.
Getting Russia and the US to take each other out.

This thread was starting to remind me of the 80-90's book/movie genre where nuclear world obliteration began with computers playing games of chess, people pressing the wrong button accidentally, and Russia invading america and teenagers being the only ones capable of stopping it
p1l0t (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #3562
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
Honestly anyone on either side who needs to resort to flaming someone from the other side is just showing off how teeny or nonexistent their PP is.

Maybe we should get back to normal discussion?
I agree, if I wanted to participate in a conversation like this, I would just call my sister -
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-01-2021), spike021 (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #3563
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmo View Post
#2 Public health is about the long term rather than the short term. Spring #COVID19 #lockdowns simply delayed and postponed the pandemic to the fall. thelancet.com/journals/lance… @johanGiesecke
While I understand the sentiment, this post fails to take into account that the lockdowns took place to avoid overwhelming emergency services with possible cases. Many more would've died in the mad rush to hospitals had the lockdown not been enacted. Like I indicated previously-start telling people what symptoms indicate a condition, and suddenly everyone's got those symptoms...

Quote:
#3 Public health is about everyone. It should not be used to shift the burden of disease from the affluent to the less affluent, as the #COVID19 #lockdowns have done.
This is really going to need more explanation, also contrasted with how less affluent typically live in less sanitary environments, and also tend to have less sanitary habits.

#6 Public health should focus on high-risk populations. For #COVID19, many standard public health measures were never used to protect high-risk older people, leading to unnecessary deaths.[/quote]
So the interesting thing I saw talking to covid nurses was that the 'high risk population' morphed as the vaccine was released. Halfway through, the highest risk people were the 18-30 y/o's. Where they weren't yet eligible for the vaccine. But no one seemed to talk about that.

And what 'public health measures' is this referencing that weren't used?

Quote:
#9 Public health is about trust. To gain the trust of the public, public health officials and the media must be honest and trust the public. Shaming and fear should never be used in a pandemic. thehill.com/opinion/health… @Camakridis

#10 Public health scientists and officials must be honest with what is not known. For example, epidemic models should be run with the whole range of plausible input parameters.
Honesty is a double edged sword. If we go back to the beginnings of this thread even, there were a lot of expectations that because the government got involved, it could be solved quickly.

There was very little forethought into the matter for most of the public that this is a new entirely different strain of something and no one had an idea of how to fight it.

This resulted in a lot of panic when leaders stood up and ho honestly said "I don't know" and people started looking elsewhere for answers in many of the wrong but confident locations.

This gets into social science more, but the biggest problem here was that people saw a problem, and the appointed leaders didn't have an answer, but the people demanded they have a solid answer.

Quote:
#11 In public health, open civilized debate is profoundly critical. Censoring, silencing and smearing leads to fear of speaking, herd thinking and distrust. scientificamerican.com/article/the-co… @jeanneLenzer1

#12 It is important for public health scientists and officials to listen to the public, who are living the public health consequences. This pandemic has proved that many non-epidemiologists understand public health better than some epidemiologists.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...481975812.html
I think we've lost the methodology to reason with all the "shouting into the void" social media outlets. There's been plenty of smearing, disinformation and herd thinking on all sides of this event.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #3564
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
The irony of such a statement
The nerve of me caring about public health, my own father died from Covid19.

You're one of the guys that likes to "lol' in this thread.

LOL now.

Microbio/biochem major at U of T. You? Lol

More people will die because of people like you.

Another member of the Tribe, too. I'm embarrassed for you.

Can't wait to see what Mr "pilot" will rebut with. I'm sure it will just drip with compassion and humanity.

Now are you going to LOL? Of course you will.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:54 PM   #3565
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
You certainly could (assuming it's within the forum rules); being able to state your views and your opinions freely (unless you are a conservative on Twitter, FaceBook, or YouTube) is one of the many great freedoms we have in this country due to the selfless sacrifice of others.

Of course, in doing so you would be showing your ignorance. We have "illegal immigration," and therefore we have "illegal immigrants," or "illegals" for short. There is nothing offensive about that... just a statement of fact. We have crime; those that commit crimes are criminals. We have gymnastics...those who "commit" gymnastics are gymnastic athletes, or "gymnasts" for short.

Since an "illegal" refers to anyone entering our country illegally, there is no racial component to the term. Any race, ethnicity, creed, whatever, can be an "illegal" if entering or residing in the country without permission. The oft-quoted/sloganed "No human being is illegal" is incredibly vacuous; no one has ever said that an entire human being is illegal. We call humans who break the law "criminals"... should we also chant, "No human is a crime?" Such stupid.

So... "illegal" is not a racist term. It can not be, as it does not refer to any race.

Next... if you've read Atmo's posts, especially the one regarding his actions in helping others as a teacher, you'd know that he is far from being a racist.

Next ... the .. umm... "Random vertical arrangement of feces" comment. Completely, totally uncalled for. What is your goal? If it's to bring others around to your point(s) of view, being incredibly insulting is rarely the way to do so.

Yes, you should apologize, and yes, such completely baseless personal attacks should definitely violate forum rules.
Hahaha if personal attacks got people banned half the people in this thread would be gone.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Atmo (08-01-2021), Jdmjunkie (08-01-2021), TylerLieberman (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 06:55 PM   #3566
p1l0t

Quote:
The nerve of me caring about public health, my own father died from Covid19.

You're one of the guys that likes to "lol' in this thread.

LOL now.

Microbio/biochem major at U of T. You? Lol

More people will die because of people like you.

Now are you going to LOL? Of course you will.
One post your oh poor me my father died, then the next you'll be going on about the darwin awards...

The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Jdmjunkie (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 06:56 PM   #3567
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
One post your oh poor me my father died, then the next you'll be going on about the darwin awards...

Oh wait is that a personal attack? Look what you made me become.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:58 PM   #3568
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Hahaha if personal attacks got people banned half the people in this thread would be gone.

Every day you spread your unvaccinated spit droplets and or don't mask is a far more offensive attack on the innocent.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:00 PM   #3569
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:

Are you human????

Not looking for sympathy, I'm still alive and breathing, my dad isn't. He is the one that I feel sad about. I loved him and really miss him. Not a day has passed since he died that I haven't thought about him.

Darwin award- given to people whose poor judgement ultimately leads to their untimely and wholly preventable demise.
Oh no, that wouldn't apply to anti-vaxxers that end up preventably sick or dead, would it?

Geeze.

You're not worth spit, pal.

Last edited by wbradley; 08-01-2021 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:11 PM   #3570
soundman98

Quote:
OK you crossed the line buddy, seriously. Fuck you.
Take a breath.

He was just riling you up. Responding just means that he succeeded.

There's more tactful ways to deal with it

Tags
eagle5 got sandy vag, tread harder daddy, tylerlieberman is a cuck