follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
7c8

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bilstein B14 questions

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of B14s. It looks like ride height is adjusted by changing the spring perch height? Just wanted to confirm.

From the pics, it doesn't look like the rear struts come with dust covers. Will the OEM dust covers fit over properly?

Thanks guys!
7c8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:35 PM   #2
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Hey,

I recently picked up a set of B14s as well and am loving them. Ride height is only adjustable by moving the spring perch height. If you want to go much lower than 1", get different coilovers. I've adjusted these a lot and they are bouncy when adjusted low. Set them as high as Bilstein recommends and they ride a bit smoother than stock (pretty amazing considering how other coils in this price range ride). The rear struts don't come with dust covers or bump stops. You'll need to re-use the OEM bump stops and dust covers. The front has built in bump stops and comes with dust covers, so no need to re-use anything other than top hats in front.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I've had these off the car and adjusted and retightened everything probably a dozen times. Getting a ticking/popping/clunk that I can't figure out. Either end links are binding up, or springs are binding, but the car rides great so I've given up on fixing this. From other forum members posts, this is not a common issue with these coils.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:52 AM   #3
7c8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBrun0xx View Post
Hey,

I recently picked up a set of B14s as well and am loving them. Ride height is only adjustable by moving the spring perch height. If you want to go much lower than 1", get different coilovers. I've adjusted these a lot and they are bouncy when adjusted low. Set them as high as Bilstein recommends and they ride a bit smoother than stock (pretty amazing considering how other coils in this price range ride). The rear struts don't come with dust covers or bump stops. You'll need to re-use the OEM bump stops and dust covers. The front has built in bump stops and comes with dust covers, so no need to re-use anything other than top hats in front.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I've had these off the car and adjusted and retightened everything probably a dozen times. Getting a ticking/popping/clunk that I can't figure out. Either end links are binding up, or springs are binding, but the car rides great so I've given up on fixing this. From other forum members posts, this is not a common issue with these coils.
Hey thanks for the reply! Do you happen to know the drop that they're adjusted to from factory? I just received them but will be throwing them on in the Summer.

Also, I just flipped through the manual and it's very clear which parts you need to reuse.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:01 AM   #4
xxBrun0xx

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7c8 View Post
Hey thanks for the reply! Do you happen to know the drop that they're adjusted to from factory? I just received them but will be throwing them on in the Summer.

Also, I just flipped through the manual and it's very clear which parts you need to reuse.
When I initially looked at the instructions, I thought it was only in German, so tossed it aside and winged it. Wouldn't recommend that unless you really like re-installing things.

I'm not sure what they're adjusted to from the factory, but they ride really good when you set them as high as Bilstein recommends. This gets you to probably about a 1.25" drop from stock (they're slightly lower than my TRD springs were, but not as low as sportlines). I'm currently at 120mm front and 155mm rear and car rides legitimately better than stock (I've driven my car back to back with a stock car several times now).

I've driven a few cars with ISC N1's and ridden in a car with BC BR's and they both ride MUCH worse than stock. I've been very impressed with the Bilsteins.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Garage
Quote:
When I initially looked at the instructions, I thought it was only in German, so tossed it aside and winged it. Wouldn't recommend that unless you really like re-installing things.

I'm not sure what they're adjusted to from the factory, but they ride really good when you set them as high as Bilstein recommends. This gets you to probably about a 1.25" drop from stock (they're slightly lower than my TRD springs were, but not as low as sportlines). I'm currently at 120mm front and 155mm rear and car rides legitimately better than stock (I've driven my car back to back with a stock car several times now).

I've driven a few cars with ISC N1's and ridden in a car with BC BR's and they both ride MUCH worse than stock. I've been very impressed with the Bilsteins.
How hard was it to get the height adjustment right? Did you need to use a caliper or just a ruler?
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #6
xxBrun0xx

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones_RB View Post
How hard was it to get the height adjustment right? Did you need to use a caliper or just a ruler?
Sorry that this is so late, haven't logged on in a while. I'm sure you've already got your answer, but in case anyone else is ever wondering, height adjustment is kind of a pain in the ass on these. I tried to use a ruler and gave up and bought a set of calipers. Wasn't much better. Problem is, the manual advises you to use the center of the top bolt hole to the top of the spring perch. These aren't lined up very well, so measuring is a pain in the butt. I understand why they chose to use that bolt hole as reference (distance from that hole to the spring perch is what really sets height), but it's not easy. In contrast, adjusting the KW V3's I have now is an absolute breeze. Also helps that there are way fewer threads on the KW's, and there's a screw that you use to hold the rings in place, which helps line everything up.

Took a while to get used to the much stiffer springs on the V3s (I've got an older set with the stiffer 350/400 lb springs), but I absolutely love how they ride on the street. Definitely not as cushy as the Bilsteins, but the linear springs make a world of difference.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #7
7c8

Quote:
Sorry that this is so late, haven't logged on in a while. I'm sure you've already got your answer, but in case anyone else is ever wondering, height adjustment is kind of a pain in the ass on these. I tried to use a ruler and gave up and bought a set of calipers. Wasn't much better. Problem is, the manual advises you to use the center of the top bolt hole to the top of the spring perch. These aren't lined up very well, so measuring is a pain in the butt. I understand why they chose to use that bolt hole as reference (distance from that hole to the spring perch is what really sets height), but it's not easy. In contrast, adjusting the KW V3's I have now is an absolute breeze. Also helps that there are way fewer threads on the KW's, and there's a screw that you use to hold the rings in place, which helps line everything up.

Took a while to get used to the much stiffer springs on the V3s (I've got an older set with the stiffer 350/400 lb springs), but I absolutely love how they ride on the street. Definitely not as cushy as the Bilsteins, but the linear springs make a world of difference.
I have the same experiences. I use the bolt hole as a ballpark to see if I'm within the recommended range, but I do my fine adjustment with a tape measure and measuring the threads to the collar.

I'd like to move onto stiffer and linear springs, after having these for a few months. Only major complaint I have is that I feels underdamped at low speeds, 0-25 km/h. Otherwise, it is a pretty comfortable coilover.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7c8 For This Useful Post:
MJones_RB (12-24-2016)
Old 01-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #8
xxBrun0xx

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7c8 View Post
I have the same experiences. I use the bolt hole as a ballpark to see if I'm within the recommended range, but I do my fine adjustment with a tape measure and measuring the threads to the collar.

I'd like to move onto stiffer and linear springs, after having these for a few months. Only major complaint I have is that I feels underdamped at low speeds, 0-25 km/h. Otherwise, it is a pretty comfortable coilover.
I went to linear swift springs in front (6", 230 lbs) and made the car feel very weird. The front turned quickly and felt planted, but the rear was floaty and slow to react. It was cushy, but very bouncy at low speeds. If you want to upgrade, sell the B14s and pick up something that comes with linear springs. KW V3s, Ohlin R&T (huge price drop recently!), RCE T0s, etc.
Old 05-31-2023, 10:59 AM   #9
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Reviving,
Just finished installing these.

First impression is hard to say, Im getting an alignment today, for now the car drives super funky and pretty rough.

What I am looking for is recommendations on alignment settings for DD so that I can pass it on to the tech.

Everything was kept stock. I went with the minimum settings from Bilstein at 145mm at the Rear and 110mm at the Front.
Old 05-31-2023, 01:21 PM   #10
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
With everything stock it’s just toe and go. Zero front, some in rear.

They take some miles to break in, however ride comfort will be dictated by ride height - higher = less bump stop = cushier ride. In case you went for b16 going up to click 2 instead of 1 helped keep it more composed over rough pavement. I’d give it 100-500 miles before you pass judgement.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (06-01-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 05:29 PM   #11
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,114 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Reviving,
Just finished installing these.

First impression is hard to say, Im getting an alignment today, for now the car drives super funky and pretty rough.

What I am looking for is recommendations on alignment settings for DD so that I can pass it on to the tech.

Everything was kept stock. I went with the minimum settings from Bilstein at 145mm at the Rear and 110mm at the Front.
0 toe front

Touch of toe in rear, like 1/16th" total or 0 toe as mentioned.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (06-01-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 09:10 AM   #12
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Update. I've had the B14s on, now fully aligned, and for about 500+ Miles.

The good:
-Excellent ride height using minimal settings set by Bilstein.

-No popping, which is a feedback I saw on a couple of posts.
-Excellent handling and smoothness at highway speeds. Compared to OEM, I feel there was more raw feedback from the suspension, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But now it feels more inviting, because there's a feeling of more control.

-Back-road driving, so much more engaging. Again, the car feels inviting to take on turns at higher speeds than I would do on OEM suspension.

-For a first time installer of suspension components, install wasn't necessarily hard. With proper preparation and tools, it is perfectly achievable.

The Bad:
-The first few hundred miles, under the minimal height settings, can be bumpy. If you have a low sensitivity dash cam, it will set off your crash sensor.
-Low speeds i.e., local town driving can be a little jarring. Is not as bad now, or Im just getting used to it.

-Installation instructions are very poorly written. Toss them and look up the FTSpeed videos on installing lowering springs (To learn how to remove OEM components that you'll need) and installing Coil-overs.

-Setting up ride height was kind of a pain, the wrenches just suck and kept on slipping. For measurements I used a micrometer and I found it to be the most effective way, just don't forget to zero it like I did.

From my very little suspension knowledge, I'd say they are great. I haven't tracked the car, ever, so I can't speak for track performance on OEM vs on the B14s. From the back-road perspective, it handles much better.
Clipdat (06-12-2023), strat61caster (06-12-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 10:54 PM   #13
Muffled

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I've had B14s on for about a year now. Mine came out of the box set to the lowest height Bilstein recommends (they're threaded to allow you to go lower than this, if you choose to use them with custom springs). So no ride height adjustment was needed on mine.

They're bumpy on broken pavement because they're coilovers, but are great on open highway, back roads and autocrossing. I have -2.5 degrees of camber in the front and a bit of toe front and rear. With my driving they handle very neutrally, maybe a touch of oversteer. I love it.

I bought these because they were the only option custom valved for our car and actually track tested within my budget. And they didn't have sky high springs rates almost every other coilover has.

The progressive spring means these are bigger than most other coils - standard coilover covers didn't fit on mine, so they've gotten a winter's worth of salt and grime and nastiness on them. No more shiny finish.

Any kind of real weight in the back (people, luggage, tools) and you'll be on the rear bump stops. Do not recommend driving on Michigan interstates with a loaded trunk.

So far, mine are working as advertised. The ride height threads are probably seized but I don't plan on touching them.
Muffled is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muffled For This Useful Post:
SCFD (08-24-2023)