follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2023, 07:28 AM   #1
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New injectors + boost controller, car runs horrible

No way of data logging so have to go by explanation.

Before today I was running standard 6PSI boost on e85, car was very smooth and responsive, no issues anywhere.

Installed 1050ID injectors and a boost controller, tune was remapped on the spot to accomodate the larger injectors. Car had issues cranking, tune was modified and now car will crank and start however it’s pretty rough for the first 5 seconds of start up then is fine when the injectors switch over.
(He also played around the tune for slight pops which I think has contributed to my problems)

Symptoms
- huge pedal delay, slight pedal input doesn’t even register at all (didn’t have this at all during any of the other tune flashes previously)
- large fuel consumption, I’m accustomed to e85 however I just happened to take a photo of my fuel level before leaving the house which was just under half, and after a 15minute drive it is close to the quarter tank mark.
- weird boost stuttering when at partial throttle after taking a corner. Car jerks back and forth rapidly until i either press the pedal harder or take my foot off
- slow acceleration, I’m making 10PSI of boost (which is reflected on the boost controller reading) yet foot to the floor the acceleration is not reflective of 10psi. I am not exaggerating when I say the 6PSI acceleration was significantly faster, I have videoed pulls at the same speed/ gear and the difference is significant
The blow off sound and immediate torque feels greater than before however it seems like the power just flat lines
- heard the exhaust pop during WOT, (was not shifting when it happened) feel like that isn’t suppose to happen…

Can anyone give theories on these issues so I know what to tell my tuner to look for? I think he thinks I’m over exaggerating since he reckoned the car was fine when drove it for 10 minutes aside from the pedal sensitivity…
The car doesn’t feel good to drive at all and I’m worried somethings going to go wrong, I’ve turned the boost down back to 6 but still have to wait a week until my tuner will look at it
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 07:51 AM   #2
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,067 Times in 775 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
With such a configuration, i dont think 200usd for an ecutek bluetooth datalog device is out of possibility...
I can t say a thing without a datalog, i even havent understood if tge car even driven well at least once after injectors installation

If you don t like the tune, there is a strong possibility the tune is just not good
tomm.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (05-08-2023), DarkPira7e (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 06:02 PM   #3
callisto

Drives: 2019 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
- large fuel consumption, I’m accustomed to e85 however I just happened to take a photo of my fuel level before leaving the house which was just under half, and after a 15minute drive it is close to the quarter tank mark.

Note that after a battery pull or ECU reset, your fuel gauge could be inaccurate under certain circumstances; to recalibrate, fill the tank to full, drive to one quarter tank remaining, and only then fill it up again. I don’t expect this will solve anything, but it the calibration would let you confirm exactly what miles per gallon you’re getting now.
callisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 08:06 PM   #4
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm.brz View Post
With such a configuration, i dont think 200usd for an ecutek bluetooth datalog device is out of possibility...
I can t say a thing without a datalog, i even havent understood if tge car even driven well at least once after injectors installation

If you don t like the tune, there is a strong possibility the tune is just not good
Thanks, I’ll try do a log I just have limited time before I see my tuner next and want to give him a list of the things I think are wrong as I won’t be present when he’s looking at the tune next

We did a road tune and log after the injectors went in and supposedly all the values looked ok according to my tuner. AFR is around 14.6 on idle and cruising speed

This is more so whether those symptoms I’m experiencing could be the result of something else IE boost controller not functioning as it should, whether the changes to the tune for the exhaust pops contribute to the dead pedal feeling/ was incorrectly done (exhaust doing a couple pops whilst pedal is being held down and mid acceleration I didn’t think is normal)

Same with the way the boost acceleration feels, whether the fact that it feels like the power band feels completely flat when I’m in peak boost is a result of something fuelling/ injector related

As for the stuttering, I got it on video but I was turning a corner in second gear, probably around 5% throttle input and then as soon as I hit 3.5k rpm (reading about 1psi boost) the rpm jumped to 4K then back to 3.5 then back to 4 until I let off, peaking at 3psi during that. I was being rocked back and forth in my seat pretty harshly whilst that happened

Last edited by Sam86; 05-02-2023 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-02-2023, 04:54 AM   #5
AussieBRZ

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
ID 1050 injectors are good quality they should start and run ok, might not be as smooth as the stock injectors but should not be terrible. I'd say the injector setting need some more work. Car cranks on port only and for first minute or so port only. If it idles ok after that in direct then it's very likely injector calibration issue or fuel pressure issue note that the id1050 flows that at 45psi fuel pressure we are 60psi so they need to be scaled round 1200 as well as latency and cranking pulse compensation
AussieBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AussieBRZ For This Useful Post:
Sam86 (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 01:29 AM   #6
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieBRZ View Post
ID 1050 injectors are good quality they should start and run ok, might not be as smooth as the stock injectors but should not be terrible. I'd say the injector setting need some more work. Car cranks on port only and for first minute or so port only. If it idles ok after that in direct then it's very likely injector calibration issue or fuel pressure issue note that the id1050 flows that at 45psi fuel pressure we are 60psi so they need to be scaled round 1200 as well as latency and cranking pulse compensation
Thanks I’ll forward that on.

Immediately after injectors were installed and the tables scaled, the first crank was perfect and exactly the same as it was with stock injectors.

After that first crank we put in the boost controller and then started the car and it struggled but would start. It then began getting worse to the point where the car was cranking for 10-20 seconds with initial idle at 600-700 rpm before it raised.

After some playing around it now cranks and starts straight away however I feel the car shaking quite abit for a couple of seconds of the initial start up and it shoots to 2.5k before it switches injectors and settles to 1k and runs steady.

Also whilst the cold start starts ok, warm starts is where is the car doesn’t sound happy at all when it starts and it’s still using the port injectors

The injector mapping isn’t final and the tuner knows it but after 2-3 hours focusing purely on that start up that was the best he was able to get it for now which was a little worrying

Also after the boost controller was installed the car wouldn’t crank at all and was throwing an immobiliser reading. Seemed to fix itself after we shut all the doors, locked and unlocked but not sure whether they contributed to any of the issues that followed
Old 05-03-2023, 01:33 AM   #7
tomm.brz

is this a tuner shop or just a friend of you helping with the tune?
if it s unlocked you could post your tune or send it to us, or ask him how he set all the injector tables in the tune
Incredibly difficult to help without no data at all
Old 05-03-2023, 04:05 AM   #8
Sam86

Quote:
is this a tuner shop or just a friend of you helping with the tune?
if it s unlocked you could post your tune or send it to us, or ask him how he set all the injector tables in the tune
Incredibly difficult to help without no data at all
Ok finally got one, don’t know if it shows much
I was on the standard wastegate boost pressure which is around 6 PSI, and I have a 3 bar map sensor

The very start where you see it fluctuate is one instance of the jerking I described. There was another point it happened I just don’t remember.

I also did a 3rd gear quick pull which you’ll see in there. Apparently I went to 90% throttle twice but I don’t remember if that second acceleration was a pull for a log or just normal driving.
(Just to clarify, the first reading where you see me going up to 90% throttle was the intentional 3rd gear pull)

Rest of the data is just me trying to baby the car

https://datazap.me/u/sam86/turbo-test?log=0&data=1-12

Last edited by Sam86; 05-03-2023 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-03-2023, 04:31 AM   #9
tomm.brz

honestly, data are so bad i don t even know what to think
the way trims are very negative at low rpm and then extremely high in some zones
and then extremely rich on open loop capped at low 9-10 afr... either you have leaks everywhere
or the tune is just bad

Has this guy who s tuning you with oft tuned other turbo fa20?
Old 05-03-2023, 04:35 AM   #10
Sam86

Quote:
honestly, data are so bad i don t even know what to think
the way trims are very negative at low rpm and then extremely high in some zones
and then extremely rich on open loop capped at low 9-10 afr... either you have leaks everywhere
or the tune is just bad

Has this guy who s tuning you with oft tuned other turbo fa20?
Thanks
It’s not an oft tune it was done through ecutek

He has done another turbo 86 recently but it wasn’t on e85, he also used to work at a tuning shop that mainly dealt with 86s and fk8s

The car was running very well the past 4 weeks prior to the injectors and boost controller being installed. As far as I can tell it’s still the same tune that I was on that he modified further for the new injectors.

He’s coming back to spend the whole day with the car on Monday but I don’t know if he realises how bad it’s driving. He thinks most of the issues are as a result of the delayed throttle sensitivity and thought the car drove and the logs were ok based on the road test and log he did after the injectors and boost controller went in
Old 05-03-2023, 04:47 AM   #11
tomm.brz

that s a different perspective sorry if i misunderstood the situation.. not that i m confident anyway that the tune is spot on 100%
So you don t have logs of before injectors?
and neither an ecutek kit to be able to flash on your own?

if you get your tuner to give you the unlocked tune we can take a look if injectors are well scaled
or you can paste here all the tables relative to the injectors, otherwise sorry but i ll pass this thread as I have no idea what s happening really based only on that poor log alone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (05-08-2023), Sam86 (05-03-2023)
Old 05-03-2023, 04:53 AM   #12
Sam86

Quote:
that s a different perspective sorry if i misunderstood the situation.. not that i m confident anyway that the tune is spot on 100%
So you don t have logs of before injectors?
and neither an ecutek kit to be able to flash on your own?

if you get your tuner to give you the unlocked tune we can take a look if injectors are well scaled
or you can paste here all the tables relative to the injectors, otherwise sorry but i ll pass this thread as I have no idea what s happening really based only on that poor log alone
Haha thank you, yes I understand I’m very confused as well. I was expecting this to be a simple process of just scaling the injectors as the tune itself prior was very smooth in both how it started up and ran

I will ask him but this is his business so I’m not confident he’ll give me the tune. I don’t have the ecutek kit or anything, he comes to the car in person and does all the logging and tuning with his own ecutek dongle.

Hopefully he can at least provide the injector tables
Old 05-03-2023, 05:09 AM   #13
tomm.brz

Here: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...6&postcount=13
i've posted some settings for id1050x they work good based on 55 PSI fuel pressure of our car
The Following User Says Thank You to tomm.brz For This Useful Post:
Sam86 (05-03-2023)
Old 05-08-2023, 07:20 AM   #14
Sam86

Got an update of the tune and wanted to do a do a log but for some reason most of the important data info my OFT displayed like boost, AFR, ignition temp etc is all gone. I’ve checked the data tab to see if it was hidden and it’s completely gone and replaced with new values like actual throttle position, “vehicle speed” and a bunch of other data’s I’ve never seen on my oft before?

Tune update seems to have fixed some of my issues but throttle sensitivity before boost still feels horrible. Tuner thinks it feels like all the other 86s he’s driven and I’m just used to OFT throttle map changes but I don’t know if that’s the case when the previous turbo tune (before injectors) didn’t feel anywhere near as sluggish