follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2023, 01:15 PM   #1
CastrolTom's86

Drives: It goes br-br-br-br-BRAAAAApppppp
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quality of OLM Replica Aero Parts

Hey everyone. I've been in the market for TRD v2 side skirts for a while but I'd be looking at ~$1000 to purchase them unpainted and have them shipped from Japan to New York. The alternative is a whole host of knock off side skirts in the same style made by Duraflex, OLM, CTAuto, etc for only about $300. The guy at my body shop warned me of these Chinese-made knock offs and I know Duraflex is garbage. The only one I am considering is OLM which is Subispeed's brand. Anyone have any experience with them? And is TRD really worth it or am I just paying for branding?

https://www.subispeed.com/part/a-700...skirts-13-ft86
CastrolTom's86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 01:14 AM   #2
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastrolTom's86 View Post
The only one I am considering is OLM which is Subispeed's brand. Anyone have any experience with them? And is TRD really worth it or am I just paying for branding?
I'm all for TRD/OEM+ parts due to exceptional quality and perfect fitment IMO, however, I do have OLM rear spats. In my experience, paint quality is pretty good and fitment is 9.5/10. It did come with hardware and you would need to apply the 3M tape yourself(was also included); very easy to install.

As far as if they are worth it or not, that would be up to you. I recommend going the extra bucks for authentic TRD parts but if money is an issue, OLM is a decent substitute.

At the end of the day, it's your car. Do what makes you happy instead of listening to some dood on the internet.

TRD | Brembo | RAYS
KMA KiCKz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KMA KiCKz For This Useful Post:
CastrolTom's86 (04-16-2023), Wally86 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 12:25 PM   #3
Gulcasa

Drives: FRS 2013
I did a build using the rep TRD side skirts from OLM, the install is a bit different than the actual TRD skirts. Biggest difference is the TRD has a bottom section to it gets clipped to the bottom of the car, easiest install.

The OLM one is attached using bolts to ghetto clamp against the pinch weld line. Like literally it uses the bolt to friction grip the weld line at the bottom of the car. The rest is held on by a few self taps in the wheel arches and 3m.
Also mine had alot of warping. so be prepared to heat gun and bend it.

In my opinion its probably a safer bet to get the TRD ones. If you are also interested in the OLM TRD styled front splitter. I can recommend that one. That one fits like a glove and there was nothing wrong with it.
Gulcasa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gulcasa For This Useful Post:
CastrolTom's86 (04-17-2023), Wally86 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 07:22 PM   #4
CastrolTom's86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulcasa View Post
The OLM one is attached using bolts to ghetto clamp against the pinch weld line. Like literally it uses the bolt to friction grip the weld line at the bottom of the car.
I don't like the sound of that. Sounds like it's jury rigged. I might just have to suck it up and pay for shipping from Japan. I might try Yahoo Japan Auctions and see if anyone has them prepainted, but it's highly unlikely. Toyota never released side skirts in K3X.
The Following User Says Thank You to CastrolTom's86 For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 02:35 AM   #5
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't like the sound of that. Sounds like it's jury rigged. I might just have to suck it up and pay for shipping from Japan. I might try Yahoo Japan Auctions and see if anyone has them prepainted, but it's highly unlikely. Toyota never released side skirts in K3X.
You might be better off buying it unpainted than trying to find it prepainted and getting paint matched as it maybe a bit cheaper. Cost me around $700 USD to ship my prepainted one from Japan but then again I am on the west coast
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bach415 For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 07:38 AM   #6
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Literally the color that seems to have the least support across the board.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:37 AM   #7
CastrolTom's86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally86 View Post
Literally the color that seems to have the least support across the board.
Tell me about it. Same goes with some other facelift colors like neptune and steel.
The Following User Says Thank You to CastrolTom's86 For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-28-2023, 06:01 PM   #8
CastrolTom's86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach415 View Post
You might be better off buying it unpainted than trying to find it prepainted and getting paint matched as it maybe a bit cheaper. Cost me around $700 USD to ship my prepainted one from Japan but then again I am on the west coast
CWest has prepainted side skirts in K3X that look similar to the TRD side skirts. I am considering buying those and vinyl wrapping the bottom portion in satin black. Do you think the paint will match? My car has 21,000 miles. I don't expose it to the sun too much.
Old 05-01-2023, 02:36 AM   #9
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
CWest has prepainted side skirts in K3X that look similar to the TRD side skirts. I am considering buying those and vinyl wrapping the bottom portion in satin black. Do you think the paint will match? My car has 21,000 miles. I don't expose it to the sun too much.
It may match 90-95% or it maybe a whole different shade. A lot can happen when you buy prepainted parts as they only paint based off of color code and does not have a visual of how your paint currently is. My genuine TRD side skirts matches 95% IMO but that is because I have a white FRS and the natural yellowing of the car makes the shade slightly off. You'll never have 100% paint match unless the whole car is painted with the part together and even with that, it will maybe be 99% due to how paint reacts to different materials. Your best bet it just to buy the part and see. If it doesn't match, you might be able to request a refund from the company you buy it from or just have it repainted.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bach415 For This Useful Post:
CastrolTom's86 (05-01-2023)

Tags
aftermarket aero, knock off, quality, replicas