follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2023, 06:12 PM   #533
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@Slanders, this doesn’t constitute evidence for your supposition but when I described to the sales manager at a large Toronto dealership how the allocation system supposedly operated and asked whether in fact an “order” was handled that way, he vehemently denied it and said an order would be placed with Toyota for the specific model I wanted. He didn’t sugar-coat delivery times either, said it would take about 9 to 12 months, which made me think he might actually not have been gaming me. (I made this inquiry early last summer, wait times may have dropped a bit since.)
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 07:15 PM   #534
RaceAddict

Drives: '23 BRZ, '16 4RUNNER
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Akina View Post
This sounds a lot more like the experience I had this week. I contacted one of the top 10 volume dealers here in Alberta, they treated it like an order. Said no problem 4-5 months, small refundable deposit. The process was crazy simple, had a good chat with sales guy and one the fsm’s. They didn’t even try to get me take a different colour or spec but ordered exactly what I wanted. So hopefully that is the case and I have one by summer.
I was in touch with 3 different dealers early last year prior to "ordering" and they all told me the same thing... 3-4 months max from "date of order".

So that was lie.

Fingers crossed for ya' though. (Cross you fingers for me too, thanks. LOL)
Picked up BRZ: June 19th, 2023

Last edited by RaceAddict; 01-09-2023 at 04:34 PM.
RaceAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RaceAddict For This Useful Post:
Ghost of Akina (01-06-2023)
Old 01-06-2023, 11:59 PM   #535
Ghost of Akina

Drives: DE5 Integra Type S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAddict View Post
I was in touch with 3 different dealers early last year prior to "ordering" and they all told me the same thing... 3-4 months max from "date of order".

So that was lie.

Fingers crossed of ya' though. (Cross you fingers for me too, thanks. LOL)
Hopefully we’ll both have ours by the time the roads are clear!!
Old 01-07-2023, 11:56 AM   #536
RaceAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Akina View Post
Hopefully we’ll both have ours by the time the roads are clear!!
Yeah at this point I don't really care 'til April...

I'd set Jan 1st as my cut-off. If it came in before the new year I'd get wheels and tires for winter, but now, even if it showed up Monday morning, it'll be parked until whenever the roads are cleared of all the salt.
Old 01-07-2023, 01:22 PM   #537
Artrex

Drives: 1999 Subaru Forester L
@Rustyoid

I found this thread through a reddit post today and has a question, but first off Happy New Years and thank you 4000 times for doing this, really appreciate it!

Are these allocations you post for all dealerships throughout Canada?
I'm asking because I "ordered" a 2023 raven gr86 through Forbes Waterloo Toyota back in July 2022 and was originally given a 6-9 month timeline. On month 6 now and apparently Forbes received a few gr86s since I waited and I've been bumped from #15 on the list to #5 in 6 months.

I did however notice that none of your allocation replies on this thread mention this dealership at all so I'm wondering if I am being lied to lol...

Cheers!
Artrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:01 PM   #538
Rustyoid

Drives: 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artrex View Post
@Rustyoid

I found this thread through a reddit post today and has a question, but first off Happy New Years and thank you 4000 times for doing this, really appreciate it!

Are these allocations you post for all dealerships throughout Canada?
I'm asking because I "ordered" a 2023 raven gr86 through Forbes Waterloo Toyota back in July 2022 and was originally given a 6-9 month timeline. On month 6 now and apparently Forbes received a few gr86s since I waited and I've been bumped from #15 on the list to #5 in 6 months.

I did however notice that none of your allocation replies on this thread mention this dealership at all so I'm wondering if I am being lied to lol...

Cheers!
Hey there!

Yes I always do a Canada wide search. But we can only see other dealers “open” inventory, not the allocations that go directly to orders.

If that dealer had 15+ orders open at one point, that makes them much less likely to receive an “open” allocation. As they have so many orders, there’s almost always a match to be made.
Rustyoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:10 AM   #539
Artrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyoid View Post
Hey there!

Yes I always do a Canada wide search. But we can only see other dealers “open” inventory, not the allocations that go directly to orders.

If that dealer had 15+ orders open at one point, that makes them much less likely to receive an “open” allocation. As they have so many orders, there’s almost always a match to be made.
aha gotcha, so that must mean that this dealership doesn't receive any open allocations, but rather sold to order versions.

Thanks for the insight!

I'm on month 6 now so I'm choosing to wear rose coloured glasses and believe my car will be here by spring, and if not I'm hoping to snipe an allocation lol
Old 01-08-2023, 10:57 AM   #540
Sport-Tech

Quote:
aha gotcha, so that must mean that this dealership doesn't receive any open allocations, but rather sold to order versions.

Thanks for the insight!

I'm on month 6 now so I'm choosing to wear rose coloured glasses and believe my car will be here by spring, and if not I'm hoping to snipe an allocation lol
One thing to keep in mind is that “sniping” from another dealership could be expensive if you already have a deposit down at your current dealer. In Ontario there’s no provision in the law that requires the dealer to return a deposit if you walk away from an open order. (If you had a clause in your sales agreement stating that the deposit was refundable if you did not get a car after X months then of course provided that time had past you’d get your deposit back.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-09-2023)
Old 01-08-2023, 12:14 PM   #541
Artrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that “sniping” from another dealership could be expensive if you already have a deposit down at your current dealer. In Ontario there’s no provision in the law that requires the dealer to return a deposit if you walk away from an open order. (If you had a clause in your sales agreement stating that the deposit was refundable if you did not get a car after X months then of course provided that time had past you’d get your deposit back.)

Luckily my refund was small ($500) and written to be fully refundable.

I'm also a toyota process engineer at one of the Canadian plants so I do get a fair discount.

Appreciate the heads-up tho!
Old 01-08-2023, 12:38 PM   #542
RaceAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustyoid View Post
Question for you Rusty: If you post an allocation going somewhere somewhat near to me, who should I ask for if I call that dealer? Sales manager?

I'd actually contacted one dealer a few months back in the fall regarding an allocation you had listed here and they wouldn't even acknowledge that they had one incoming. (Maybe they had a buyer already, just not in the system... maybe keeping a list of people looking for one color, but willing to accept another, or other such machinations.)
Old 01-08-2023, 05:26 PM   #543
Sport-Tech

Quote:
I'm also a toyota process engineer at one of the Canadian plants so I do get a fair discount.
Would that be the process of not making cars, by any chance? If so, you’re doing a bang-up job!
Old 01-08-2023, 09:31 PM   #544
Artrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport-Tech View Post
Would that be the process of not making cars, by any chance? If so, you’re doing a bang-up job!
Haha I'm part of the bodyweld division and I can assure you that weld is not the culprit for being behind on orderr

material shortages and chips are still a major issue
Old 01-09-2023, 07:08 AM   #545
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanders View Post
Woodstock is a large volume dealer?
It is not a large volume dealer and that may well have helped you get what you wanted.
Luck of the draw or a very good exchange system that is still working between some dealers.
Yes, on the surface it appears like it was factory ordered but it just worked within the system. This is the same way I got my Hakone when they "ordered" it.

Woodstock Toyota is where I get all my service work done since I work a couple of blocks away. They are great guys but it was fun the first time I took the Halone in for service and the sales manager and sales staff came out and asked me where I got it painted and who did the custom interior. They had no clue there was a such special edition.
Rustyoid (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 07:17 AM   #546
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Haha I'm part of the bodyweld division and I can assure you that weld is not the culprit for being behind on orderr

material shortages and chips are still a major issue
People think this is over but it is far from it. The trickle down from the shortages has hit right back as far as the raw materials. Right now we are having a very hard time getting the parts needed for the machines that make the parts for the cars. Although we have not shut anybody down yet it has come very close. Even basic nuts and bolts are in short supply with the different companies fighting over what is available. The chips hit the news but the impact is far more reaching than just electronics and the end is not even in sight yet.
nikitopo (01-09-2023), Rustyoid (01-09-2023), Sport-Tech (01-09-2023)