follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2022, 03:17 PM   #1
nissanfanatic

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2022+ Brake Pad experiences

Hello, first post here but I have been reading a ton of past threads on here thanks to the wealth of information. New to this platform, but not to many others.

I've obviously seen reviews of various G-LOC/Carbotech/etc threads on here, but wanted to get a feel for what people are seeing on the 2022+ chassis for various pads. If the ST43/5 were available, I'd def just buy those but I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere. I have seen some recommendations for CSG pads esp for the life but not quite sure if I want to drop that much on a set of pads before getting a feel for consumable costs on the stock brakes as I feel that may just push me to the same point as I was on my S2K where I just went for an AP BBK.

So I guess my question is, has anyone experienced fade on the newer gen (or 1st gen at 2nd gen power levels) on, say, an XP12 F/R or R12 F/R? Consider fluid aside as I'll be going to SRF, and an average seasoned driver (links if it helps of s2k days, car was prob Nasa TTC, stock power/RS3's, GTC200, Koni-gc setup):

1:21.1@Roebling - https[:]//www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPaLiJtazbA
2:33.5@Sebring - https[:]//www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqkSw0K9sv0

I will be staying stock power and on street tires (whatever variant is the best bang for the buck at the time, RT615k atm but something similar). The goal is to stay as stock as possible as I kinda want to see what is most competitive in my area, but I absolutely can't stand driving around brake fade or fluid temps as it detracts from focusing on driving. So, worst case I'll go to a BBK but otherwise I'd like to just stay on the stock brakes.

I appreciate any input! Thanks!

Last edited by nissanfanatic; 12-04-2022 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Posted videos as simple links. Embedded frames are kinda obnoxiously large....
nissanfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:29 AM   #2
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Probably all the info/feedback on brakes you find in context to Naturally Aspirated gen1 on the forum (regardless of being stock or FBO E85) will apply to the gen2. They aren't so drastically different from each other in weight and power.

I had Project Mu Club Racer on the factory sliding calipers and never had an issue with fade. If you have eyes on Carbotech XP12 / R12, I doubt you'll have any fade issues.

As far as longevity, the fastest wearing item on the base sliding caliper system is the front pads and rotors: you might expect to average 8 track days out of the fronts / 14 out of the rears before the pads are down to backing and rotors are below min thickness on a compound like XP12. This will vary a with specific rotor and compound, but I think it a decent frame for wear expectations.
  • The FRS/86/BRZ factory brake system seems to be more friendly on consumables compared to s2k factory single piston brake system, based on conversations I've had with folks familiar with both platforms.
If you have eyes on optimizing long-term consumable cost, it's probably ideal to tackle only the front for BBK upgrade. Rears already last so long and perform fine in their stock sliding caliper form. I just put 9 track days on my front Brembo 326mm BBK and CSG C21 pads; they seem like they'll be good for 18-20 total track days at their current attrition rate.

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 12-05-2022 at 03:50 AM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:59 AM   #3
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Did you try Porterfield for the ST43/45's ? That's where I got mine last.
DocWalt (01-05-2023)
Old 12-06-2022, 10:45 PM   #4
nissanfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Did you try Porterfield for the ST43/45's ? That's where I got mine last.
I have not, but I will definitely check. Had just given up based on reading recent threads that they were out of stock with no end in sight.

Thanks to both for the input!
Old 12-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #5
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanfanatic View Post
Hello, first post here but I have been reading a ton of past threads on here thanks to the wealth of information. New to this platform, but not to many others.

I've obviously seen reviews of various G-LOC/Carbotech/etc threads on here, but wanted to get a feel for what people are seeing on the 2022+ chassis for various pads. If the ST43/5 were available, I'd def just buy those but I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere. I have seen some recommendations for CSG pads esp for the life but not quite sure if I want to drop that much on a set of pads before getting a feel for consumable costs on the stock brakes as I feel that may just push me to the same point as I was on my S2K where I just went for an AP BBK.

So I guess my question is, has anyone experienced fade on the newer gen (or 1st gen at 2nd gen power levels) on, say, an XP12 F/R or R12 F/R? Consider fluid aside as I'll be going to SRF, and an average seasoned driver (links if it helps of s2k days, car was prob Nasa TTC, stock power/RS3's, GTC200, Koni-gc setup):

1:21.1@Roebling - https[:]//www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPaLiJtazbA
2:33.5@Sebring - https[:]//www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqkSw0K9sv0

I will be staying stock power and on street tires (whatever variant is the best bang for the buck at the time, RT615k atm but something similar). The goal is to stay as stock as possible as I kinda want to see what is most competitive in my area, but I absolutely can't stand driving around brake fade or fluid temps as it detracts from focusing on driving. So, worst case I'll go to a BBK but otherwise I'd like to just stay on the stock brakes.

I appreciate any input! Thanks!
The BRZ has substantially larger pads than a s2k, with less weight.

Try the C1/C11 on your 2022+, and it'll easily pay for itself.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 05:45 PM   #6
nissanfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The BRZ has substantially larger pads than a s2k, with less weight.

Try the C1/C11 on your 2022+, and it'll easily pay for itself.
Well, sorry @CSG Mike I didn't get the C1/C11, but I did order a set of XP12/XP10 through CSG. Figured I'd go cheap for my first set on this car and see what I think of the system overall.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:56 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanfanatic View Post
Well, sorry @CSG Mike I didn't get the C1/C11, but I did order a set of XP12/XP10 through CSG. Figured I'd go cheap for my first set on this car and see what I think of the system overall.
If you're able, I recommend you go square compound with Carbotech.

The C1/C11 stagger isn't for friction, but for response. Going staggered with Carbotechs will result in abnormally fast front pad wear.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (12-29-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 06:34 PM   #8
nissanfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If you're able, I recommend you go square compound with Carbotech.

The C1/C11 stagger isn't for friction, but for response. Going staggered with Carbotechs will result in abnormally fast front pad wear.
Thanks for the heads up; just emailed to change it.