follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to restore stock rom to access ecu w/ Techstream

I have an ecu programmed with Ecutek Race Rom features via a Cosworth tune. I am wanting to access the ecu so that I can use a cable and Toyota Techstream to change some of the car's features such as seatbelt warning, chime levels, etc. In order to use Techstream, I must have the Ecutek Race Rom features temporarily removed. With the Cosworth tune, I can only access the ecu with an Ecutek box and Techstream will not run...

I have the stock rom that I backed up originally. How can I temporarily install the stock rom (.romdump) file? Will I be able to flash back to the Cosworth tune after making the changes with Techstream? Will there be any changes to the tuning license/ Dongle ID?

Cosworth tune with Race Rom features> Stock Rom > Techstream > Back to Cosworth tune
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
sly

Ok looking into it, it looks like my original ROM backup is in the .romdump file format instead of the .bin format. When I originally installed the Cosworth ROM, I attempted to "read ROM" which would generate a .bin file, however Ecutek would not do this at the time, and required me to "dump details for Ecutek". I remember uploading a copy of the original ROM to ecutek. Maybe it's because I had a brand new car and Ecutek had not seen this ROM before.

All I want to do is access the ECU with a cable and Techstream. With the ecutek software loaded into the ECU, Techstream will not recognize the ECU. So I just need to go back to a base ROM, run Techstream and then go back to the Cosworth ROM when I'm done. Ideas? Can I just load one of the compatible maps listed in the ecutek sofware? Will this change my dongle ID? @Matt@Cosworth
Old 06-12-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
Ok looking into it, it looks like my original ROM backup is in the .romdump file format instead of the .bin format. When I originally installed the Cosworth ROM, I attempted to "read ROM" which would generate a .bin file, however Ecutek would not do this at the time, and required me to "dump details for Ecutek". I remember uploading a copy of the original ROM to ecutek. Maybe it's because I had a brand new car and Ecutek had not seen this ROM before.

All I want to do is access the ECU with a cable and Techstream. With the ecutek software loaded into the ECU, Techstream will not recognize the ECU. So I just need to go back to a base ROM, run Techstream and then go back to the Cosworth ROM when I'm done. Ideas? Can I just load one of the compatible maps listed in the ecutek sofware? Will this change my dongle ID? @Matt@Cosworth
@steve99 isn't he "locked out" of the ecu with techstream if hes running an ecutek tune
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's odd that you can't use Techstream but doing what you want is easy. You can't download a usable copy of your original/amy tune in EcuTek from the ECU, only a ROM dump to send to them if they don't have that ID.

What you do have is the base files downloaded by ProECU. Just download a compatible one to the ECU. That should leave the ECU in an unlocked state to some extent I believe.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
sly (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Before you flash in stock ecutek rom male sure you have a copy of the tune on your computer from your tuner to restore. Make sure you can open your cosworth rom with your ecutek kit before restoring stok ecutek tom

If techstream wont run at all i think you have other issue ive used techstream to log parameters on my ecutek tuned ecu. I have not tried changing seat belt parameters but if tectstream eont connect at all i think you have setup or conbection problem. Try techstream on amother toyota an see if it connects

Ecutek only locks out the engine ecu read\write function all logging should be fine. Seat belt chimes and other body contro features are most likely controlled buy the BIU body intergrated unit totally separate to ecu

Last edited by steve99; 06-13-2018 at 12:33 AM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
Tor

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Are you sure the Ecutek tune is the problem?

What hardware do you use with Techstream? I'm Ecutek tuned with RaceRom but use Tactrix with Techstream. I have no problem accessing those function with Techstream. As far as I know, these things have nothing to do with the ECU anyway, you are just accessing it through the same OBD2 port.

Another option: You can also change seatbelts etc with the Carrista phone app and a cheap BT ELM327 adapter.
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:37 PM   #7
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
What @Tor said... I had no trouble using Techstream to communicate with an Ecutek flash. Try verifying your laptop and cable on a friend's car if you can.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #8
sly

Thanks for the replies. I'll look at it this weekend. I have used this cable in the past but haven't been able to access Techstream with it since I upgraded with the Ecutek. I had assumed it was the Ecutek. Maybe I need a new cable. I'm installing a new ROM this weekend and will try to access the ECU afterwards with Techstream and if it won't I'll try a new cable.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd agree with whats been said

I've used techstream on our ecutek tuned car with no issues

I suspect the issue lies elswhere
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matt@Cosworth For This Useful Post:
sly (06-14-2018)