follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Great breakdown. It's a shame all these options aren't in the USDM catalog, but this will make it much easier figuring out what to get!
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
If only someone made an AS1 with leather, HIDs, LED driving lights, push button start, etc. I would bet that you could probably get it for just over $28k.
Trolololo

Most of MINI's options are factory options. Only the driver's lights on ours were installed at the port/dealer. The moonroof, LSD, bonnet stripes, fog lights, etc were all factory installed. All Scions arrive to the ports in the US in the exact same configuration other than color and transmission. Options would change how Scion does business via being "mono-spec".

We'll have a lot more things available as dealer options for the FR-S soon enough. They just aren't getting everything rolled out as quickly as we'd hoped.
I see your hidden "Trolololo" there :P

As for the factory "problem" all the cars, Subaru, Toyota, or Scion come from the same factory so... kind of a moot point. As for the mono-spec thing, you can still have mono-spec and have options or like I suggested, release the Toyota along side the Scion as the high spec version. No cutting in on Scion's mono-spec (which I find hilarious since they encourage customization from dealership yet limit options which allow you to customize lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I guess I must be a rare bird. I don't like most of the Toyota stuff. It seems like a bunch of "fluff" nonsense that I wouldn't even notice anyway. Also the red/black interior in the Toyota makes it looks very very tacky. I don't even like the red accents on the shoulder part of the seats in the Scion.

I do like the BRZ/GT86 head lights though but the Scion/USDM tail lights are the best as they are less "altezza-ey". I don't like my car looking like an Ebay Special.

Underbody trays: I would like all of those
Badges: inconsequential
KeyFob: inconsequential
Push Button start: eh.. don't care. Owned an S2k and the PBS wasn't anything to spend more $$ for.
Frameless Mirror: inconsequential
EntryDoor courtesy light: inconsequential
Clear Side markers: inconsequential (and kind of ricey looking just like the JDM tail lights and multi color interior.)
Duel Climate control: This isn't a bad feature for anyone who travels with a girl on the other side of the car... Girls run at different temps then guys. What I think would be better then dual climate would be an option for heated seats.

And that's just one man's opinion. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Edit: BTW, very good compilation and interesting to know the differences.
Too each their own. That is the joy of options, if you don't like something you can pick something else or remove it entirely. However, forcing everyone into one thing and not giving a choice? That's just wrong. I personally like the coloured interior, it's very much like my current Celica only mine is blue instead of red. I see it as being very boring without it and forcing me into it something I don't want just makes me walk away. I'm sure you'd be the same if the positions were reversed.

The fact that Scion claims customization and individual expression, then limits with a mono-spec is a huge fail and contradiction.

I love when people comment about "altezza" lights. Funny thing about those, they're called that because they started on the Toyota Altezza (Lexus IS in N.A.) They are a Toyota thing, the ebay vendors jumped on the band wagon and blew it out of proportion though. Just like Lambo doors.

Keep enjoying your personal preference and stick to it, I know I will, as should everyone.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #17
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post
Keep enjoying your personal preference and stick to it, I know I will, as should everyone.
AMEN. Besides, if we all liked the same stuff, all our cars would look exactly the same, and that wouldn't be cool.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #18
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quite frankly I do not understand this reaction to people wanting the higher trim level. If they had released the higher trim level, it does not mean everyone would have to pay for it.
With Scion's business model, it does. Mono spec means a single spec so in this case high end or low end. The foolishness of the business model itself is another topic (and one I bet I agree with you on).

Realisitically the FR-S really couldn't have been much cheaper. 20k simply would never happen, many of the things it has that aren't on the base JDM 86 are things required by law in the US, save for things like the extra speakers. Some of the features missing require expense US Gov testing, it's not worth it in Toyota's eyes.

I wish each of the two companies let you get whatever you wanted, which would require a lot of factory custom orders (seats, headlights, etc) which is why they didn't do it I'm sure.. there's some analysis they made that determined the most economical way of doing it.. and that's what they did.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #19
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
With Scion's business model, it does. Mono spec means a single spec so in this case high end or low end. The foolishness of the business model itself is another topic (and one I bet I agree with you on).

Realisitically the FR-S really couldn't have been much cheaper. 20k simply would never happen, many of the things it has that aren't on the base JDM 86 are things required by law in the US, save for things like the extra speakers. Some of the features missing require expense US Gov testing, it's not worth it in Toyota's eyes.

I wish each of the two companies let you get whatever you wanted, which would require a lot of factory custom orders (seats, headlights, etc) which is why they didn't do it I'm sure.. there's some analysis they made that determined the most economical way of doing it.. and that's what they did.
I've already mentioned what I think about that business model in this thread lol. I won't repeat for the sake of sanity.

The only "options" I see that would be required by law are the orange side markers and the red reflectors on the tail lights, that's always been the case. For some reason N.A. law makers don't like clear plastic over our lights. Testing is expensive but with this vehicle (as it's already proven) would/is making that cost back quite easily and then some.

That last paragraph of yours, does not make sense in the slightest. Especially when you look at the world market. The ONLY place they've set this restriction on is North America, everywhere else they have the options and trim levels as Scion does not exist outside of N.A. So if this was the plan then it has a massive hole in it and it isn't going to do much good. Especially when you run into people like myself who refuse to buy the Scion or Subaru as they currently are. I'll only take a Toyota with the options I want and I know are currently being made for the car in other markets. Until then, they don't get my money. Yes, they'll still make sales but they're losing out on other potential sales as well. Not to mention people who settled for less in the Scion and would have gone for more if they could have.

Had that plan been implemented world wide, I'd accept that reasoning, but since N.A. is the only place it's been put into effect. I call
Old 06-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #20
Mr. Mcoupe

Drives: ExigeS,M3,S2k,MCpe,MR2T,T4R,Sienna
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sheesh!
Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #21
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mcoupe View Post
Sheesh!
lol "Sheesh!" what? sheesh that's a long list or sheesh to the current discussion this thread has taken? lol
Old 06-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #22
Silverdub
Boostin'

Drives: FRS-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Added to bookmarks very well done and that interior looks so hot
Silverdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #23
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've already mentioned what I think about that business model in this thread lol. I won't repeat for the sake of sanity.

The only "options" I see that would be required by law are the orange side markers and the red reflectors on the tail lights, that's always been the case. For some reason N.A. law makers don't like clear plastic over our lights. Testing is expensive but with this vehicle (as it's already proven) would/is making that cost back quite easily and then some.

That last paragraph of yours, does not make sense in the slightest. Especially when you look at the world market. The ONLY place they've set this restriction on is North America, everywhere else they have the options and trim levels as Scion does not exist outside of N.A. So if this was the plan then it has a massive hole in it and it isn't going to do much good. Especially when you run into people like myself who refuse to buy the Scion or Subaru as they currently are. I'll only take a Toyota with the options I want and I know are currently being made for the car in other markets. Until then, they don't get my money. Yes, they'll still make sales but they're losing out on other potential sales as well. Not to mention people who settled for less in the Scion and would have gone for more if they could have.

Had that plan been implemented world wide, I'd accept that reasoning, but since N.A. is the only place it's been put into effect. I call
I meant a la carte and I believe that even elsewhere they are still making set models, just more trim levels than we get. They aren't a la carte options AFAIK (I could be wrong since I live in the US and haven't spent all that much time looking up the other stuff). They should be willing to offer a lot of those items as options but so far it doesn't seem like they are willing to.

I thought there were some safety items missing like TCS/VSC on the cheapest JDM models but I can't remember anymore. It's pointless anyways.

I'm not sure the testing on two sets of headlights made sense to them on a limited (compared to mainstream cars) production car. IMO it doesn't make sense. Most of the rest doesn't require testing.

Toyota is trying to save Scion with this car. It's a mistake IMO, they should have let Scion die and change the badges on the other scions to Toyota badged and be done with it. :shrug:

I agree with your points in general. Either way I got my ft86 the way I wanted it, it just has a Subaru badge on it
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #24
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
A few points..

1: The comment about letting everyone like what they like. Absolutely agree. As I looked through the list of GT86 options or standard features vs the FRS I just saw a bunch of stuff that is automotive minutia and not something that I miss save for a few items. I'm not saying you shouldn't care about having doorway entry lights, I'm saying that of all the things on the 86 that are excluded on the FRS are pretty nominal, can easily be had and I'm glad that some of them didn't make on the FRS (like that gawd awful multi color interior). If the 86 was selling at the same price in JDM-land or Canada and was coming with bitchin' stuff the FRS didn't (like a sunroof, an armrest or 30 more Horsepower) then I'd be pissed.

2: And Damn Toyota for starting the whole Altezza light nonsense! Damn them!

3: Let's talk about the business model. The business model didn't even want this car to be made! While I agree that there should be more options available to raise the cost of the vehicle during the time of initial purpose it could be that the logistics of getting those pieces in inventory, and inventory systems creates a pretty good delay. I would have liked to order my FRS with the TRD exhaust, different wheels and the TRD spoiler installed. I also don't have intimate knowledge of the financials and how it all works out. There's a significant CBA involved.

4: I like dealer options, I hope they find a solutions to this gaping hole. The reason: modding a car with factory options does little to reduce resale value, modding a car with aftermarket options drastically reduces the resale value. I am looking forward to LOTS of owners modding their cars with all kinds of aftermarket nonsense because in 5 years I plan on buying one cheap, gutting it, caging it and adding another race car to the stable.

edit: just realized I can get the available TRD stuff at the dealership. Oh dear... time to spend some more $$

Last edited by rice_classic; 06-18-2012 at 01:04 AM.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #25
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I meant a la carte and I believe that even elsewhere they are still making set models, just more trim levels than we get. They aren't a la carte options AFAIK (I could be wrong since I live in the US and haven't spent all that much time looking up the other stuff). They should be willing to offer a lot of those items as options but so far it doesn't seem like they are willing to.

I thought there were some safety items missing like TCS/VSC on the cheapest JDM models but I can't remember anymore. It's pointless anyways.

I'm not sure the testing on two sets of headlights made sense to them on a limited (compared to mainstream cars) production car. IMO it doesn't make sense. Most of the rest doesn't require testing.

Toyota is trying to save Scion with this car. It's a mistake IMO, they should have let Scion die and change the badges on the other scions to Toyota badged and be done with it. :shrug:

I agree with your points in general. Either way I got my ft86 the way I wanted it, it just has a Subaru badge on it
Not sure about the limited production car, pretty sure this is to be a mass produced car with exception to the "limited" versions but they haven't limited the number of units as far as I know, perhaps limited the time of availability, but not numbers. Considering the amount of people wanting the LED HIDs, for example, though, seems like they made a big mistake there(well, they've made many mistakes, with a lot of things.)

Agreed... Scion should have been left to die or started up a project of their own to keep it afloat and not steal Toyota's. The point of the 86 was to revitalize Toyota, not Scion. Now Toyota has nothing to revitalize it and after waiting 7 years for a Toyota sports car, having the president and CEO of TMC, Akio Toyoda-san, himself give his word a Toyota sports car would be built and sold only to have that promise taken back? They might as well have hit this Toyota fan in the face with an aluminum bat. Repeatedly.

I'm glad you got what you wanted, but some of us are still waiting for what we want and were promised. In some cases, a conversion will do, hence me coming up with this list. I didn't want to leave anything out so I found every little detail I could find and put it in the list. Something insignificant to one person can make all the difference to someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
A few points..

1: The comment about letting everyone like what they like. Absolutely agree. As I looked through the list of GT86 options or standard features vs the FRS I just saw a bunch of stuff that is automotive minutia and not something that I miss save for a few items. I'm not saying you shouldn't care about having doorway entry lights, I'm saying that of all the things on the 86 that are excluded on the FRS are pretty nominal, can easily be had and I'm glad that some of them didn't make on the FRS (like that gawd awful multi color interior). If the 86 was selling at the same price in JDM-land or Canada and was coming with bitchin' stuff the FRS didn't (like a sunroof, an armrest or 30 more Horsepower) then I'd be pissed.

2: And Damn Toyota for starting the whole Altezza light nonsense! Damn them!

3: Let's talk about the business model. The business model didn't even want this car to be made! While I agree that there should be more options available to raise the cost of the vehicle during the time of initial purpose it could be that the logistics of getting those pieces in inventory, and inventory systems creates a pretty good delay. I would have liked to order my FRS with the TRD exhaust, different wheels and the TRD spoiler installed. I also don't have intimate knowledge of the financials and how it all works out. There's a significant CBA involved.

4: I like dealer options, I hope they find a solutions to this gaping hole. The reason: modding a car with factory options does little to reduce resale value, modding a car with aftermarket options drastically reduces the resale value. I am looking forward to LOTS of owners modding their cars with all kinds of aftermarket nonsense because in 5 years I plan on buying one cheap, gutting it, caging it and adding another race car to the stable.

edit: just realized I can get the available TRD stuff at the dealership. Oh dear... time to spend some more $$

1. See, I like that coloured interior, I also like the LED HIDs, push start, the exhaust tips, dual climate controls, leather/alcantara and seat heaters (it gets cold up here in Canada, our butts like warmth!), the knee pads, and the Toyota brand. The thing that pisses me off is not giving the choice when it's offered somewhere else already. The choice to have or not have should be there, especially when it already exists elsewhere.

2. lol

3. That would be because it was supposed to be a Toyota from the start and not built with Scion in mind. Hence it not fitting the business model and not belonging in Scion's pen, at all.

As for the logistics, they already exist. They have to for the other markets around the world selling the Toyota version. It's all done at the same plant, it's all in place, the template is there. The hard part is done already, there is no excuse for excluding a single market area.

4. I hope they get their act together as well and good luck with that venture.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #26
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:

1. See, I like that coloured interior, I also like the LED HIDs, push start, the exhaust tips, dual climate controls, leather/alcantara and seat heaters (it gets cold up here in Canada, our butts like warmth!), the knee pads, and the Toyota brand. The thing that pisses me off is not giving the choice when it's offered somewhere else already. The choice to have or not have should be there, especially when it already exists elsewhere.
:happy0180:
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rice_classic For This Useful Post:
SuperDave (07-31-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #27
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
The dealers will have options for this car, they just don't have them now. I think I heard by the end of this year...if not definitely by next year. I don't think it will be to the extent of what the other versions get, but I don't really know.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #28
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagaliscious View Post
The dealers will have options for this car, they just don't have them now. I think I heard by the end of this year...if not definitely by next year. I don't think it will be to the extent of what the other versions get, but I don't really know.

From what I've heard, those "options" are the run of the mill TRD accessories/parts that show up for every vehicle. The only options from the Toyota 86 slated to come are the fog lights. Granted the fog lights are a start, but they're a far cry from what the GT86/Limited has to offer.

Tags
conversion, fr-s, gt86, options, toyota