follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #1
supramaster12

Drives: 1990 toyota supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
what would be a better buy new frs or used mk4 supra

hey im a full on toyota fan i've owned many yotas over the years including 85' ae86 gts(wich i regret selling), mk1 mr2, 82 sr5 liftback, 4 mk3 supras, ls400, 94 corolla and paseo, 93 tercel(badass dd gas saver). anyways im really excited bout the new car love everything bout it without the wing(like the trd wing a lot, just not the whole kit). anyways the mk4 is a far superior car and for about the same price or less i can get a low mileage mk4 in good shape so for me is a no brainer. so what do you guys think is a better buy?
supramaster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Maxim

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr Tornado Red
Good luck finding one that hasn't been modified all to hell or has rebuilt parts and such. And have fun insuring it...haha.

Also, I understand that you're a Toyota fan, but the FR-S/86 isn't really the vehicle to compare to the Supra. The Supra is basically a Japanese interpretation of the Corvette. Hell, you could pick up a C5 Z06 for the same money and get as much, or more, performance out of it.

Anyways, the 86 and Supra are two totally different driving experiences. I'd just wait for the 86, give it a test drive, and then decide.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
HitTheGas

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
the mk4 supras i've seen that were low mileage TTs & stock in good condition w/ mait records & single owner private party have always been very expensive. they're becoming collectors items. i've seen them around 40-60 grand. (for 20-60k miles) way more than a 86.

if you can find a low mileage supra TT that's in good condition w/ records for 25 grand jump on it. but that's like winning the lotto.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
what would be a better buy, an apple, or an orange?
BlaineWasHere (02-28-2013)
Old 02-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Infernal
NO FI?! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: BMW e92 330D
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
what would be a better buy, a 10 year old apple that someone has bitten, or a brand new orange?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
vivix

Drives: 2007 Focus ZX3, 1972 Buick Skylark
youve already said the supra is a superior car. just go buy one

for me the decision would be easy because the 4th gen supras never appealed to me these are very different cars
vivix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
bFreed

Drives: FRS, X83, W108
Def not the right car to compare to the 86. But I work on MK4 Supras everyday at my work. I'm going for the 86 because I want something new. I see 500-800hp Supras everyday and it's just not what I want, even though they are one of the most solid built cars ever made.

A couple friends of mine are selling theirs. One a 1995 TT 6spd higher miles just sold for 31k and another low mileage 1998 TT 6spd for 45k. So.... they still are worth tons of money.
bFreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
The Robot Cow

Drives: 1985 Corolla Gt-s coupe
Good luck with finding a good supra thats been properly taken care of. There was some douchebag around at my college who had a mkIV and was just revving it to redline just to impress a few people -_- Sad to see such a good car slowly get destroyed by some idiot.

Point is im kinda nervous to go with a popular car since you may not know who has owned the car in the past and what they have done.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
cassidy0998

Drives: '99 Ranger / '94 APU Supra / Ninja!
Supras are fun, but parts are expensive and they're getting really old.

There are newer cars of equal performance that can be had for the same price/or just a little more money (For something close to 20 years newer).

Like I said, they're fun! But if you need a super duper reliable daily driver that gets decent mpg, get an FR-S/BRZ.
cassidy0998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Crashoverride
here, there, any where

Drives: FR-S SOON!!!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
coming from 4 MKIV Turbo Supras( 2 at 400 and 1 at 390 and one at 800 on race gas), I can tell you that yes they are good cars but the love for them will fade over time, and its not the raw HP numbers or the over built engine, it is just that you start to want something that will not drive you crazy when you park it in a parking lot, gets lots of attention ( wanted and unwanted) yeah they are crazy fun but when you start to understand real driving is not what you do in a striaght line but how you become one with a car on a track or a track like experince when you drive it; HP numbers are meaningless, and weight seems to be on your mind as you find you tend to have more fun in track cars or cars like them more then the monsters of the road. To be honest the most fun I ever had in a car was in a 290hp NSX hard top and a miata( hate to addmit it) at a track event, from what I hear this car will be like those or even better at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by Crashoverride; 05-04-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Crashoverride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
The Robot Cow

Drives: 1985 Corolla Gt-s coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashoverride View Post
coming from 4 MKIV Turbo Supras( 2 at 400 and 1 at 390 and one at 800 on race gas), a 600hp Viper, a 570 C6 Vette, I can tell you that yes they are good cars but the love for them will fade over time, and its not the raw HP numbers or the over built engine, it is just that you start to want something that will not drive you crazy when you park it in a parking lot, gets lots of attention ( wanted and unwanted) yeah they are crazy fun but when you start to understand real driving is not what you do in a striaght line but how you become one with a car on a track or a track like experince when you drive it; HP numbers are meaningless, and weight seems to be on your mind as you find you tend to have more fun in track cars or cars like them more then the monsters of the road. To be honest the most fun I ever had in a car was in a 290hp NSX hard top and a miata( hate to addmit it) at a track event, from what I hear this car will be like those or even better at a fraction of the cost.

Im on the same boat, i can appreciate a car with brute power and that is well built but i rather have something light and nimble. I know i said i wanted an s2k the other day on the 86/brz vs s2k thread but i've changed my mind and im saving up for an Ae86 since it perfectly follows this philosophy of being light and nimble
Old 02-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
[M]

Drives: Toyota Celica GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Robot Cow View Post
Good luck with finding a good supra thats been properly taken care of. There was some douchebag around at my college who had a mkIV and was just revving it to redline just to impress a few people -_- Sad to see such a good car slowly get destroyed by some idiot.

Point is im kinda nervous to go with a popular car since you may not know who has owned the car in the past and what they have done.

haha, do we go to the same school? This actually just happened yesterday. Unfortunately, my college idiot is one of the few supra owners around. I was excited for the car until I saw who it was driving...
Old 02-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #14
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
You can buy mine...
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
RRnold (02-27-2013)