follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Xero Limit
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #15
shiumai
Senior Member
 
shiumai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Limited
Location: SOCAL
Posts: 1,558
Thanks: 815
Thanked 1,651 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sport mode 80% of the time on the streets. Manual mode otherwise and in the canyons using the paddles only.

D mode shifts at too low rpms for my liking. I never use the stick to change gears. All nannies on at all times, unless I'm fooling around somewhere I can't hit anything or anyone.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #16
Grady
Senior Member
 
Grady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: BRZ Yellow, 00 outback, 05 Colorado
Location: Dallas
Posts: 520
Thanks: 98
Thanked 375 Times in 211 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Everything off when you want to go slow. Sport mode when you want to go slower. Normal mode if you are scared of your shadow.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #17
Busybee
Senior Member
 
Busybee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: BRZ limited
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 102
Thanks: 354
Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First of all thanks for the topic. I just got my baby 2 months ago and experience the modes from time to time.

Since I got the car I am driving every week between NYC and Boston. I have already 4500 miles and 90% am on the D. I generally Use the the paddles. Never used the snow mode just the sport mode a few times. Actually I liked the shifting point being higher but dont like people looking at me (due to the little increased sound)

So got a lot of info from you guys. Thanks to all of you.

Meanwhile, is it possible That we came across with some of you guys on the highway between NYC and Boston ?

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________


Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Busybee For This Useful Post:
korhun (06-19-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #18
wparsons
Senior Member
 
wparsons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Location: Whitby, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,331
Thanks: 6,778
Thanked 3,054 Times in 1,963 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
My manual has a sport and snow mode. Most don't.



All the modes do is alter the sensitivity of the traction control. So they're almost worthless to me. I drive most times with vsc press-hold off(so 90% turned off)

Are you sure the Snow/Sport modes actually do anything, and aren't just the center block replaced with the buttons? I've never seen a manual with them, which means the ECU wouldn't be doing anything, and the harness probably doesn't even have the pigtails for them.


As for VSC press-hold... it's holding the TC button (left one) for ~3 seconds that turns everything off, there's no difference between just quickly pressing or pressing and holding the VSC Sport button.
__________________
Light travels faster than sound, so people may appear to be bright until you hear them speak...
flickr
wparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #19
soundman98
Registered Wire Licker
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 brz limited
Location: chicagolandia
Posts: 1,391
Thanks: 1,631
Thanked 785 Times in 501 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Are you sure the Snow/Sport modes actually do anything, and aren't just the center block replaced with the buttons? I've never seen a manual with them, which means the ECU wouldn't be doing anything, and the harness probably doesn't even have the pigtails for them.


As for VSC press-hold... it's holding the TC button (left one) for ~3 seconds that turns everything off, there's no difference between just quickly pressing or pressing and holding the VSC Sport button.
you got me the plugs are the same, but there's a few missing wires that prevents the sport and snow buttons from doing anything at the moment.

but a few wires and an arduino is going to change that!
__________________
my '14 brz limited "the return to normal" (or is it?)
led mods-10%(planning/designing/sitting on hands)audio mods-99%(done is never done)

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #20
Weigaldo
Senior Member
 
Weigaldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2016 Steel AT FRS
Location: Chicago
Posts: 110
Thanks: 24
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
100% manual mode. It allows me to get the best sound out of my exhaust.
Weigaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weigaldo For This Useful Post:
korhun (06-19-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #21
scottryan
Member
 
scottryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 76
Thanks: 41
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What's the difference between normal mode and sport modes?
scottryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #22
OwlDance
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Drives: Halo 86, '19
Location: NY
Posts: 56
Thanks: 27
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
What's the difference between normal mode and sport modes?
I'm not sure how in depth of an answer you're looking for but here's the short and slightly longer.

Short answer: Sport mode shifts later, allows car to actually rev out engine to redline.

Normal mode shifts far sooner, and because of how fluid coupling works, lets you drive the car at RPMs lower than any MT vehicle without lugging or overtly straining the engine. Slushbox mode, basically.

Longer answer: Sport mode makes the car lock up the torque converter as much as possible without stalling, making the drivetrain behave like an manual transmission (in the sense that there's a direct 1 to 1 connection to the wheels like an MT car). It cruises from roughly 2000 RPM to 2.5K RPM, much like you would in a manual car.

Normal mode uses a fluid coupling as much as possible at low speeds (on highways where travel and velocity is much more consistent it will lock up the torque converter) which means there's no 1 to 1 connection with the drive train, but allows it to operate and drive at very low RPM (1-2K), RPMs that under a normal MT or locked up torque converter would cause lugging and stalling.
OwlDance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OwlDance For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-17-2019), korhun (06-19-2019), new2subaru (06-19-2019), Tristor (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #23
scottryan
Member
 
scottryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 76
Thanks: 41
Thanked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlDance View Post
I'm not sure how in depth of an answer you're looking for but here's the short and slightly longer.

Short answer: Sport mode shifts later, allows car to actually rev out engine to redline.

Normal mode shifts far sooner, and because of how fluid coupling works, lets you drive the car at RPMs lower than any MT vehicle without lugging or overtly straining the engine. Slushbox mode, basically.

Longer answer: Sport mode makes the car lock up the torque converter as much as possible without stalling, making the drivetrain behave like an manual transmission (in the sense that there's a direct 1 to 1 connection to the wheels like an MT car). It cruises from roughly 2000 RPM to 2.5K RPM, much like you would in a manual car.

Normal mode uses a fluid coupling as much as possible at low speeds (on highways where travel and velocity is much more consistent it will lock up the torque converter) which means there's no 1 to 1 connection with the drive train, but allows it to operate and drive at very low RPM (1-2K), RPMs that under a normal MT or locked up torque converter would cause lugging and stalling.
Thanks for the response, I should clarify, I drive only in manual mode, if I flipped into Sport mode while driving manual, what difference would I feel? Some guys are saying good throttle response
scottryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:22 AM   #24
OwlDance
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Drives: Halo 86, '19
Location: NY
Posts: 56
Thanks: 27
Thanked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
Thanks for the response, I should clarify, I drive only in manual mode, if I flipped into Sport mode while driving manual, what difference would I feel? Some guys are saying good throttle response
Honestly I don't feel any difference, and I've driven extensively with it on and off in MT mode. I've heard it slightly tones down nanny interference by itself but no clue on how it interacts with traction off or VSC off/track mode.
OwlDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #25
Grady
Senior Member
 
Grady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: BRZ Yellow, 00 outback, 05 Colorado
Location: Dallas
Posts: 520
Thanks: 98
Thanked 375 Times in 211 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Are you sure the Snow/Sport modes actually do anything, and aren't just the center block replaced with the buttons? I've never seen a manual with them, which means the ECU wouldn't be doing anything, and the harness probably doesn't even have the pigtails for them.


As for VSC press-hold... it's holding the TC button (left one) for ~3 seconds that turns everything off, there's no difference between just quickly pressing or pressing and holding the VSC Sport button.
Hook, Line and sinker!
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-16-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #26
Will BRZ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 144
Thanks: 53
Thanked 38 Times in 30 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I keep it in D mode when I'm tired coming home from school/work or in heavy traffic, but for the most part it's in manual mode. If I'm cruising in manual mode, I'll put it in sport mode. I don't really feel a difference, but I like how the word looks lmao I use VSC when no one is around. I never take traction all the way off as I have no thread left on my tires and there's really no need for it when daily driving. No need for snow mode in Houston.
Will BRZ is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions for AT owners about Sport mode stlgrym3 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 11 04-03-2018 10:34 PM
Auto transmission jumping into manual mode on its own? palanza87 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 6 11-10-2017 10:25 AM
Automatic not downshifting in manual mode VegaX77 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 7 02-15-2016 11:48 AM
Automatic FRS Surge in Manual Mode N1rve Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 5 02-08-2014 01:28 PM
topspeed difference between manual transmission and automatic transmission torquemada Subaru BRZ General Forum 51 05-04-2012 07:54 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.