follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #15
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sport mode 80% of the time on the streets. Manual mode otherwise and in the canyons using the paddles only.

D mode shifts at too low rpms for my liking. I never use the stick to change gears. All nannies on at all times, unless I'm fooling around somewhere I can't hit anything or anyone.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #16
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Everything off when you want to go slow. Sport mode when you want to go slower. Normal mode if you are scared of your shadow.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (06-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 12:43 PM   #17
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First of all thanks for the topic. I just got my baby 2 months ago and experience the modes from time to time.

Since I got the car I am driving every week between NYC and Boston. I have already 4500 miles and 90% am on the D. I generally Use the the paddles. Never used the snow mode just the sport mode a few times. Actually I liked the shifting point being higher but don’t like people looking at me (due to the little increased sound)

So got a lot of info from you guys. Thanks to all of you.

Meanwhile, is it possible That we came across with some of you guys on the highway between NYC and Boston ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Busybee For This Useful Post:
korhun (06-19-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #18
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
My manual has a sport and snow mode. Most don't.

All the modes do is alter the sensitivity of the traction control. So they're almost worthless to me. I drive most times with vsc press-hold off(so 90% turned off)

Are you sure the Snow/Sport modes actually do anything, and aren't just the center block replaced with the buttons? I've never seen a manual with them, which means the ECU wouldn't be doing anything, and the harness probably doesn't even have the pigtails for them.

As for VSC press-hold... it's holding the TC button (left one) for ~3 seconds that turns everything off, there's no difference between just quickly pressing or pressing and holding the VSC Sport button.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #19
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Are you sure the Snow/Sport modes actually do anything, and aren't just the center block replaced with the buttons? I've never seen a manual with them, which means the ECU wouldn't be doing anything, and the harness probably doesn't even have the pigtails for them.

As for VSC press-hold... it's holding the TC button (left one) for ~3 seconds that turns everything off, there's no difference between just quickly pressing or pressing and holding the VSC Sport button.
you got me the plugs are the same, but there's a few missing wires that prevents the sport and snow buttons from doing anything at the moment.

but a few wires and an arduino is going to change that!
Old 06-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #20
Weigaldo

Drives: 2016 Steel AT FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
100% manual mode. It allows me to get the best sound out of my exhaust.
Weigaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weigaldo For This Useful Post:
korhun (06-19-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #21
scottryan
Financial Distress

Drives: 2017 GT86 325WHP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
What's the difference between normal mode and sport modes?
scottryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #22
OwlDance

Drives: Halo 86, '19
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
What's the difference between normal mode and sport modes?
I'm not sure how in depth of an answer you're looking for but here's the short and slightly longer.

Short answer: Sport mode shifts later, allows car to actually rev out engine to redline.

Normal mode shifts far sooner, and because of how fluid coupling works, lets you drive the car at RPMs lower than any MT vehicle without lugging or overtly straining the engine. Slushbox mode, basically.

Longer answer: Sport mode makes the car lock up the torque converter as much as possible without stalling, making the drivetrain behave like an manual transmission (in the sense that there's a direct 1 to 1 connection to the wheels like an MT car). It cruises from roughly 2000 RPM to 2.5K RPM, much like you would in a manual car.

Normal mode uses a fluid coupling as much as possible at low speeds (on highways where travel and velocity is much more consistent it will lock up the torque converter) which means there's no 1 to 1 connection with the drive train, but allows it to operate and drive at very low RPM (1-2K), RPMs that under a normal MT or locked up torque converter would cause lugging and stalling.
OwlDance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OwlDance For This Useful Post:
Busybee (02-03-2022), Dadhawk (06-17-2019), jkamelo (11-06-2021), korhun (06-19-2019), new2subaru (06-19-2019), Tristor (06-15-2019), twasd (10-05-2022)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #23
scottryan
Financial Distress

Drives: 2017 GT86 325WHP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlDance View Post
I'm not sure how in depth of an answer you're looking for but here's the short and slightly longer.

Short answer: Sport mode shifts later, allows car to actually rev out engine to redline.

Normal mode shifts far sooner, and because of how fluid coupling works, lets you drive the car at RPMs lower than any MT vehicle without lugging or overtly straining the engine. Slushbox mode, basically.

Longer answer: Sport mode makes the car lock up the torque converter as much as possible without stalling, making the drivetrain behave like an manual transmission (in the sense that there's a direct 1 to 1 connection to the wheels like an MT car). It cruises from roughly 2000 RPM to 2.5K RPM, much like you would in a manual car.

Normal mode uses a fluid coupling as much as possible at low speeds (on highways where travel and velocity is much more consistent it will lock up the torque converter) which means there's no 1 to 1 connection with the drive train, but allows it to operate and drive at very low RPM (1-2K), RPMs that under a normal MT or locked up torque converter would cause lugging and stalling.
Thanks for the response, I should clarify, I drive only in manual mode, if I flipped into Sport mode while driving manual, what difference would I feel? Some guys are saying good throttle response
scottryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:22 AM   #24
OwlDance

Drives: Halo 86, '19
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
Thanks for the response, I should clarify, I drive only in manual mode, if I flipped into Sport mode while driving manual, what difference would I feel? Some guys are saying good throttle response
Honestly I don't feel any difference, and I've driven extensively with it on and off in MT mode. I've heard it slightly tones down nanny interference by itself but no clue on how it interacts with traction off or VSC off/track mode.
OwlDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #25
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post

Hook, Line and sinker!
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-16-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #26
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I keep it in D mode when I'm tired coming home from school/work or in heavy traffic, but for the most part it's in manual mode. If I'm cruising in manual mode, I'll put it in sport mode. I don't really feel a difference, but I like how the word looks lmao I use VSC when no one is around. I never take traction all the way off as I have no thread left on my tires and there's really no need for it when daily driving. No need for snow mode in Houston.
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote