follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2019, 03:25 PM   #1
rmr
Member
 
rmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: FRS 10-series
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 36
Thanks: 16
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Confused about my alignment. Suggestions?

Just installed RSR ClubRacer coils (and some whiteline rear LCAs) myself and went to a shop recommended by a local FRS owner to get an alignment, I've only ever previously had it aligned at the dealer before installing coils/just had springs and camber bolts. I removed my camber bolts after installing my coils.

I was looking to run -2.6 in the front and -1.5 camber in the rear, hoping for zero toe on all four corners but also realized it may be difficult to get that exactly with just my Whiteline rear LCAs and no toe arms, but I didn't think they were necessary?

Current ride heights are ~5inches from floor to pinch weld front and 5.25icnhes rear.

Here are the results and I'm a little confused, I did ask and they said they were not able to take out any more rear camber. Is there something I am missing here? Anybody have any suggestions? I confess I am by no means an expert on this so want to give things the benefit of the doubt, but it doesn't look like things are close, and I've heard of people getting zero toe on their setups while being able to dial out (at least some of) the negative camber that comes with the rear drop.

And Im not sure the fronts were even touched at all.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by rmr; 05-31-2019 at 06:13 PM.
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:39 PM   #2
Chuckable
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Drives:
Location: Florida
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So are you saying that the factory toe arms lacked enough adjustment for the alignment tech to take out any rear camber? Itís a multi-link setup so adjusting toe impacts camber and vice versa.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuckable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
rmr
Member
 
rmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: FRS 10-series
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 36
Thanks: 16
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckable View Post
So are you saying that the factory toe arms lacked enough adjustment for the alignment tech to take out any rear camber? It’s a multi-link setup so adjusting toe impacts camber and vice versa.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the rears this is potentially what is going on, but when I did my research it seems that with my ~1.25 inch drop in the rear people were able to dial out a lot of that negative camber with just whiteline LCAs without the need for aftermarket toe arms. They did clearly take out a lot of the toe in the rear.

I certainly didn't expect a perfect result given removing neg. camber in the rear will impact the toe and the factory adjustment will have its limits, but thought it would be closer than -2.5 in the rears and was wondering if anybody else can weigh in if this seems reasonable or not.
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:01 PM   #4
Racecomp Engineering
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 4,212
Thanks: 2,165
Thanked 5,021 Times in 2,144 Posts
Mentioned: 250 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
I would be disappointed with that alignment. Is your steering wheel straight?

How much lower than stock are you?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
rmr (05-31-2019), strat61caster (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 04:03 PM   #5
maslin
Benz Tech
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Location: Oregon
Posts: 467
Thanks: 238
Thanked 427 Times in 239 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr View Post
In the rears this is potentially what is going on, but when I did my research it seems that with my ~1.25 inch drop in the rear people were able to dial out a lot of that negative camber with just whiteline LCAs without the need for aftermarket toe arms. They did clearly take out a lot of the toe in the rear.

I certainly didn't expect a perfect result given removing neg. camber in the rear will impact the toe and the factory adjustment will have its limits, but thought it would be closer than -2.5 in the rears and was wondering if anybody else can weigh in if this seems reasonable or not.
I'm lowered 1", Eibach Pro Kit. With SPC (Moog) LCAs i was about to get the rear toe to 0*6" with -1*23" of camber. Minutes, not decimals, so close to -1.5*. I did not install the offset toe bushings, and I believe I still had a bit of room in all directions.

That front alignment is terrible... Absolutely no excuse for cross camber and .10 steer ahead.



I would find a shop that cares about the work they produce. Setting the alignment to green and pushing it out the door is not what you're after. They didn't even bother setting it to the green. That's a poor excuse for an alignment.

My after, for what it's worth. You just have to give a shit, it isn't hard.

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (05-31-2019), rmr (05-31-2019), strat61caster (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
rmr
Member
 
rmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: FRS 10-series
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 36
Thanks: 16
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I would be disappointed with that alignment. Is your steering wheel straight?

How much lower than stock are you?

- Andrew
Current drop isn't massive, it left it at the recommended setting from RSR and I think it's about 1.25-1.5 inch drop total.

I don't think they touched the front alignment.

Part of why I was skeptical was thinking maybe it's my mistake not getting rear toe arms but from what I read it seemed that people with similar drops didn't have a problem getting rid of that rear negative camber with whiteline LCAs, even with the limits of the factory toe adjustment. Very disappointing looking at -2.5 in the rear

It does drive straight at least it felt fine on short drive home
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
maslin
Benz Tech
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Location: Oregon
Posts: 467
Thanks: 238
Thanked 427 Times in 239 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr View Post
Current drop isn't massive, it left it at the recommended setting from RSR and I think it's about 1.25-1.5 inch drop total.

I don't think they touched the front alignment.

Part of why I was skeptical was thinking maybe it's my mistake not getting rear toe arms but from what I read it seemed that people with similar drops didn't have a problem getting rid of that rear negative camber with whiteline LCAs, even with the limits of the factory toe adjustment. Very disappointing looking at -2.5 in the rear

It does drive straight at least it felt fine on short drive home
I would agree they did not do anything in the front. Change in thrust angle accounts for the steer ahead moving a bit.

Again, that isn't an alignment. That is vaguely setting the rear camber and toe and calling it done. I've never heard of that in my life, 15+ years in shops.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
rmr (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
rmr
Member
 
rmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: FRS 10-series
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 36
Thanks: 16
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
I'm lowered 1", Eibach Pro Kit. With SPC (Moog) LCAs i was about to get the rear toe to 0*6" with -1*23" of camber. Minutes, not decimals, so close to -1.5*. I did not install the offset toe bushings, and I believe I still had a bit of room in all directions.

That front alignment is terrible... Absolutely no excuse for cross camber and .10 steer ahead.



I would find a shop that cares about the work they produce. Setting the alignment to green and pushing it out the door is not what you're after. They didn't even bother setting it to the green. That's a poor excuse for an alignment.

My after, for what it's worth. You just have to give a shit, it isn't hard.

[IMG]https://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=175078&stc=1&d=1549999 293[/MG]
The front alignment baffles me, anybody have any ideas why the toe is like that as well? I don't think they touched my top hats to try and get the specs I asked for in the front. There's plenty of camber adjustment left in top hat
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
jsimon7777
Dismember
 
jsimon7777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 4,532
Thanks: 1,792
Thanked 3,038 Times in 1,666 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Was the mechanic from Montreal?
jsimon7777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:21 PM   #10
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,752
Thanks: 11,991
Thanked 7,904 Times in 4,122 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
They're probably not used to messing with camber plates - so they didn't touch 'em
In some ways camber bolts are easier to adjust on an alignment rack since they can be reached from underneath, but that shouldn't prevent a good shop from doing what you ask. Unfortunately time to look for another shop imho, look for places that do racecars.

You don't need any more parts, factory rear toe adjustment is plenty for what you want.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
maslin (05-31-2019), rmr (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #11
rmr
Member
 
rmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: FRS 10-series
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 36
Thanks: 16
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
They're probably not used to messing with camber plates - so they didn't touch 'em
In some ways camber bolts are easier to adjust on an alignment rack since they can be reached from underneath, but that shouldn't prevent a good shop from doing what you ask. Unfortunately time to look for another shop imho, look for places that do racecars.

You don't need any more parts, factory rear toe adjustment is plenty for what you want.
Thanks for the input.

I was told they could align coilovers and when I called to setup a time I asked the lady on the phone if they could do an alignment to custom specs with coilovers and she went to ask and returned to say they could. I debated leaving the camber bolts on but figured my camber plates would be enough.

Im not even sure they touched my rear LCAs. She assured me that the -2.5 was as close as they could get the rear wheels even though I asked for -1.5, I'm not sure what to say about the front. Zero toe shouldn't be hard to achieve in the front, even if they werent going to mess with the camber plates?
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:06 PM   #12
strat61caster
Thread Killer
 
strat61caster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Drives: '13 FRS
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 8,752
Thanks: 11,991
Thanked 7,904 Times in 4,122 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr View Post
Zero toe shouldn't be hard to achieve in the front, even if they werent going to mess with the camber plates?
You're right, it should've been a cakewalk to fix that which is why my recommendation is to just go to a different shop, the numbers just scream someone who said 'good enough' without even hitting the halfway point.

The rear camber/toe can confuse some people, I could give a shop a bit of slack on that and improperly installing the cam bolt on them might prevent getting the desired alignment, but the front is as straightforward as it gets I think.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
ineedyourdiddly
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:09 PM   #13
maslin
Benz Tech
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Location: Oregon
Posts: 467
Thanks: 238
Thanked 427 Times in 239 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmr View Post
Thanks for the input.

I was told they could align coilovers and when I called to setup a time I asked the lady on the phone if they could do an alignment to custom specs with coilovers and she went to ask and returned to say they could. I debated leaving the camber bolts on but figured my camber plates would be enough.

Im not even sure they touched my rear LCAs. She assured me that the -2.5 was as close as they could get the rear wheels even though I asked for -1.5, I'm not sure what to say about the front. Zero toe shouldn't be hard to achieve in the front, even if they werent going to mess with the camber plates?
Who knows what they did. They did not do an alignment.

While adjusting rear camber will move the toe around, moving the toe doesn't really change camber.

You set rear camber first, then toe. Thrust angle determines your steering center, then you adjust front camber/caster. Last thing you set front toe. Swing for caster once again and the "after" screen shows up.

Find a new shop, either a sports car type place, or a place with cool stuff parked outside. Someone in there should care.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
rmr (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 06:05 PM   #14
rmr
Member
 
rmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: FRS 10-series
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 36
Thanks: 16
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Who knows what they did. They did not do an alignment.

While adjusting rear camber will move the toe around, moving the toe doesn't really change camber.

You set rear camber first, then toe. Thrust angle determines your steering center, then you adjust front camber/caster. Last thing you set front toe. Swing for caster once again and the "after" screen shows up.

Find a new shop, either a sports car type place, or a place with cool stuff parked outside. Someone in there should care.
Thats what Im thinking. I should've checked the specs before leaving but its also a Friday afternoon and I needed my car, but am tempted to just cut my losses and find a new shop.

Not aligning anything on the front is baffling, the rear I can almost give a pass to if they weren't familiar with the rear lower control arm setup whiteline uses, who knows.

Either way I will live with this alignment for the next 3 weeks at least until i can find time to get things fixed.

I appreciate your input a lot, thank you
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rmr For This Useful Post:
maslin (05-31-2019)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alignment Suggestions Tofurky Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 8 10-04-2016 01:23 PM
Alignment Suggestions (Attn: NorCal Shops!!) Tofurky Northern California 10 10-03-2016 11:38 PM
Looking for DD/track/autocross alignment suggestions. Lynxis Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 4 02-12-2016 01:30 PM
Camber/alignment for Eibach Prokit and when should I get alignment? Meanderchap Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 3 02-01-2016 04:44 AM
DIY alignment - quick way to set alignment while new suspension settles? 1Cor10:23 Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 6 12-11-2014 10:53 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.