follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
MurderRider

Drives: 2015 Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Traction Control vs. Stabilization Control vs. Sport Question

After crawling and searching for threads that clearly explain the pros and cons of these three settings that can be toggled on and off, even in combination with each other, I have yet to get a clear pro/con list for each. I would only like the pro con list here to be for the manual version of the car, as that is what I have. So here are the 3 things I need clarity on.

What are the pros and cons of having VSC Sport mode on or off?

Pros and cons of having Traction Control on or off?

And then, finally, when I hold the Traction Control button down, I get what I think is Traction Control off and Stabilization off (the SPORT does not light up in this mode). What is the pros and cons of this (hold it down) mode?

Please mention if any of these settings increase acceleration speed on a manual car going in a straight line. Thanks.
MurderRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8qggahGNH0"]Toyota 86 Traction Control Demonstration [SKIDPAD] - YouTube[/ame]

As you can see from the video. Pressing VSC sport allows a bit more slip angle over normal.

If you press the traction control button briefly -- TRAC OFF appears.
It's mainly for getting out of snow / mud, where you don't want the traction control to interfere. Traction control turns back on after you exceed 31mph.

If you press and hold the traction control button, then majority of the systems are off (outside of doing the pedal dance).

None of these settings affect throttle response on MT as far as I'm aware.
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (08-07-2014), JohnJuan (08-06-2014), RussianNinja (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
FR-S89

Drives: 2013 FR-S
didn't you read your owner's manual?

step 1: start your FRS
step 2: hold down both buttons for 15 seconds
step 3: drive
FR-S89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S89 For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
Akari

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Exactly what dhuang said.

With all off you can get off the line much quicker due to getting closer to the edge of traction.

Personally I've automated the "press and hold the traction control button" procedure so I'm always in this both off mode whenever I drive.
Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
ppbiggums

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S89 View Post

What does that do? I tried it and the trac and stability light only came on.
ppbiggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
MurderRider

Quote:
With all off you can get off the line much quicker due to getting closer to the edge of traction.
Is this true for manual? And if all off makes it MUCH quicker off the line, does SPORT mode make it half quicker?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:50 PM   #7
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Agree, this is how I normally drive my FR-S. I don't hold down both buttons thought, just hold the traction control button until both lights illuminate on the instrument panel. In my opinion, it is worthless to shut off one or the other, just get rid of them both. If I could, I would install an instant pedal dance button to shut of EVERYTHING (see below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppbiggums View Post
What does that do? I tried it and the trac and stability light only came on.
Holding the traction control button until both lights illuminate on the instrument panel shuts off almost all nannies. Some stability control still remains, but I don't think it will intervene in straight-line acceleration. Without the nannies, the traction control unit should not use the rear brakes to prevent wheel spin. The car comes with a limited slip differential, so this will mechanically activate to adjust power to the rear wheels if necessary. Is this faster off the line? I don't know, as straight-line acceleration is not my goal so I haven's tested it.

To shut off all of the annoying nannies for track use, warm up the car and then do the pedal dance. Without the pedal dance, the rear brakes still intervene in some corners – the car is much faster and more predictable (and more fun!) on the track without the nannies if you know what you are doing:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ht=Pedal+dance

You could also try the pedal dance for straight-line acceleration. It may or may not improve things. I do have a manual transmission and did do the pedal dance at an autocross once. I was able to get a good wheel spinning launch off the line in this mode.

Last edited by Black Tire; 08-06-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:

This... any other way and you're a loser.
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #9
MurderRider

Quote:
You could also try the pedal dance for straight-line acceleration. It may or may not improve things. I do have a manual transmission and did do the pedal dance at an autocross once. I was able to get a good wheel spinning launch off the line in this mode.
I thought wheel spin is the last thing you want in a launch, that it slows you down immeasurably? I thought less throttle with no wheel spin beats wheel spin launch...am I wrong?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:56 AM   #10
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
I found that I was able to achieve much smoother driving during AutoX with Sport Mode ON but with TC ON. When I turned it off, I couldn't rely on the brake vectoring any more to steer me through corners, instead would peel out through many of them, slide, or even spin if I gave it too much throttle. In sport mode you can hammer the throttle and the TC will slow you down some, brake on the inside wheels for you. Though it feels much more natural to drive with the TC off, especially when starting in 1st (allows for that extra bit of slip), I prefer having TC on when doing tricky cornering, the brake vectoring helps a lot.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:57 AM   #11
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderRider View Post
I thought wheel spin is the last thing you want in a launch, that it slows you down immeasurably? I thought less throttle with no wheel spin beats wheel spin launch...am I wrong?
10% wheel slip delivers the best acceleration

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 01:01 AM   #12
jebuwh
Village Idiot

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine Manual
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
I found that I was able to achieve much smoother driving during AutoX with Sport Mode ON but with TC ON. When I turned it off, I couldn't rely on the brake vectoring any more to steer me through corners, instead would peel out through many of them, slide, or even spin if I gave it too much throttle. In sport mode you can hammer the throttle and the TC will slow you down some, brake on the inside wheels for you. Though it feels much more natural to drive with the TC off, especially when starting in 1st (allows for that extra bit of slip), I prefer having TC on when doing tricky cornering, the brake vectoring helps a lot.
But its slowing you down. You can't drive the car at the limit which is the only way to go fast.
jebuwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:28 AM   #13
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
You don't want traction control on if you are trying to launch...unless you want it to cut power on you.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFuApgwCVrg"]2014 Scion FR-S 0-60 MPH Acceleration Test Video - 6-Speed Manual Transmission - YouTube[/ame]

I always drive with traction/stability control 'off'... the systems are nothing but a hindrance and handicap to the chassis for me, and the absolute last thing I want the car to do is unnecessarily cut power on me and brake when I need to turn quickly and accelerate. And anything less than 'off' is absolutely horrible on track. I forgot to turn the system off once and when on track I quickly hit the button to put it in VSC Sport mode because I didn't feel like going back into the hot pits... that session SUCKED! ABS and EBD going crazy and engine cutting power in tight quick turns...YUCK!

Last edited by Vracer111; 08-07-2014 at 03:59 AM.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #14
kevman_101

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
With stock tires and suspension, I don't think you will have many times that the system will engage the brakes due to rear tire lift.

VSC On => Pros: More slip angle before the system kicks in
Quicker lap times in general
Slightly bigger grin when driving hard over normal mode

Cons: Harder on tires and gas(Caused by larger grin )
Mistakes will cost more time due to the system having to reel it in more
Chances of losing control are higher

Traction Control => Pros: Better launches
Unless not enough revs, it won't bog down
In inclement weather, can help keep momentum

Cons: Harder on tires
Maybe not as consistent
Too much spin in snow and your getting the shovel
It deactivates itself after you hit a certain speed

Full off => Pros: Clarkson level smile
Drifting
Best lap times
Fun in the comfort of the speed limits
Did I mention HUGE SMILE on your face when pushing the car?

Cons: Very hard on tires and gas
If you have no skills, could end up in a wall or wraped around a pole
Mistakes can be VERY costly in time and possibly money(See above)
Sudden lost of traction due to weather can cause lost of control

I did an autocross with the button push and had a blast. There is also and on ramp that I like to slow down to 20-30 km/h in 2nd and just kick the rear out. Very easy in dry, but be very careful in wet. I spun out once trying it . I also tried in vsc mode and it really kicks in hard if you're over aggressive. On the track, it's probably much more gradual.

Depending how much experience you have, be very careful in off mode. Everyone has different skill levels, and I don't know you or anyone else on this forum nor have I seen anyone drive. Find an autocross race or an empty parking lot that would be ok with you having fun. You don't want to be having fun then having the cops show up and handing you a ticket. Do it in a safe environment. The on-ramp I have fun has great visibility, no signs, curbs or walls that can be hit, tight enough that not a lot of speed is carried and shallow ditch, so the risk is very low to cause damage to my car. I also do not do it when I see cars ahead or behind me.
kevman_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman_101 For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (08-07-2014)