follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-08-2015, 11:57 AM   #43
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Glad OP is safe, but I must say, that is one shitty looking track (and runoff area).
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #44
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Nice to see you made it out unharmed. I couldn't tell, but were you using a harness or just the seatbelt?
Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #45
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The most incredible thing to me in all of this is that insurance covered it. Drivers ed or not, just the fact your car was on a racetrack should be enough. I have State Farm and in 2002 I told them I was going to do a driver's education day at the race track and asked them if I was covered and they said, "Not if it's on a racetrack."

It sounds like USAA might charge more than SF for some folks but for the OP, his policy clearly paid off (literally).
Old 03-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #46
TEWwild

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
@TEWwild, it's hard to tell from the video, but when you went off, if you had just gone straight instead of trying to recover, would you have had a better outcome?

Hard to tell, I know that as a rule, if you know you are going off and the circumstance allow, go straight if possible and have done so before... I would have if I could have...
TEWwild is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TEWwild For This Useful Post:
Ornelas66 (03-09-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #47
TEWwild

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_gt86 View Post
Now that's true love! Guess it's one of those thing that no matter the consequence you just gotta have more eh?
Yup!! I have loved this car from day 1 and some would say I have been obsessed with it.... My wife calls it my girlfriend because I spend so much time with it...
Old 03-08-2015, 07:55 PM   #48
TEWwild

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
Glad OP is safe, but I must say, that is one shitty looking track (and runoff area).
It is a private track and to me, can't be beat. Normally the runoffs are fine and I would have slid to a stop eventually. Unfortunately, the day before they had prepped the area 10 feet past track edge for planting hay I believe. They use the hay to supplement income for the track as well as a source for the hay bales around the track. If they hadn't done that, I may still have my first FR-S. Do I blame them? Hell no, I knew the conditions the first lap of the day, if I didn't like them I could have turned around and gone home...

Proper risk management on my part would have led me to take it a bit easier...But my own complacency bit me in the ass, no ones fault but my own!
The Following User Says Thank You to TEWwild For This Useful Post:
fstlane (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 07:59 PM   #49
TEWwild

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
The most incredible thing to me in all of this is that insurance covered it. Drivers ed or not, just the fact your car was on a racetrack should be enough. I have State Farm and in 2002 I told them I was going to do a driver's education day at the race track and asked them if I was covered and they said, "Not if it's on a racetrack."

It sounds like USAA might charge more than SF for some folks but for the OP, his policy clearly paid off (literally).

I was as surprised as you when they did not question it...One of my first thoughts climbing from the car was that I was going to be paying for this for a long time....

As far as the company goes, you get what you pay for, quality in insurance companies shouldn't solely be measured in rates...
Old 03-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #50
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post

You're lucky State Farm didn't cancel you on the spot. I've read on other forums (so it must be true) that if you call to ask about "driver training" coverage you risk cancellation, including at least one USAA policy holder who was canceled after their call.

I've read my USAA policy and "within the perimiter of a racing facility" isn't addressed...yet, but I haven't and won't call to confirm, especially after this thread.

@TEWwild, glad you're OK, sorry about your car. You've shown once again that these are tough little cars that have quickly established a life saving rep similar to 911's.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
TEWwild (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 10:25 PM   #51
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEWwild View Post
As far as the company goes, you get what you pay for, quality in insurance companies shouldn't solely be measured in rates...
I suppose it's best to start with the obligatory "I'm glad you're OK" because it's true, but I'm usually oblivious and don't realize I should. What really gets me, though, is how straight-forward you are in taking responsibility. Refreshing. Makes me glad you were taken care of.

I've been with Amica for years and won't change, better rates or no. They take pride in having only USAA equal their satisfaction ratings, and I'm not surprised. Between my wife and I we've only had odd encounters with them (my wife crushed both sides of her car in an apartment garage, the first time going in, and then trying to get back out... no one showed her the only way to safely maneuver until after... and I had a couple kids high as kites run into me one time, and a different time some guy "not see" a car bright yellow-green that was not going anywhere, as he backed into it...) They wrote up my wife's claim as if it were one event (half the deductible,) and did lots of leg-work for me they shouldn't have had to do, since the other INS company in both other cases (G***o and A**s***e ...) they were both horrible when their driver was 100% at fault, trying to get me to drive an hour to an adjuster, which would have required a day off work for me... You do in fact pay for the service you hope you never have to use, but... if you do, they're good.

Happy driving.

C
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Ornelas66 (03-09-2015), TEWwild (03-08-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 11:44 PM   #52
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Thinking OP should stop posting about his accident since he got paid.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tromatic For This Useful Post:
TEWwild (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #53
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
You're lucky State Farm didn't cancel you on the spot. I've read on other forums (so it must be true) that if you call to ask about "driver training" coverage you risk cancellation, including at least one USAA policy holder who was canceled after their call.

I've read my USAA policy and "within the perimiter of a racing facility" isn't addressed...yet, but I haven't and won't call to confirm, especially after this thread.

@TEWwild, glad you're OK, sorry about your car. You've shown once again that these are tough little cars that have quickly established a life saving rep similar to 911's.

Oh, yeah! If you read it on a car forum, you can be sure its fact!
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #54
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
Oh, yeah! If you read it on a car forum, you can be sure its fact!
Really!? Cool!!!

Old 03-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #55
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
To the op. I am glad you are okay. Happy your insurance made it right. That must have been a terrifying experience. Cant imagine what was going through your head during the spin and roll
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
TEWwild (03-09-2015)
Old 03-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #56
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
She died as she lived, having a blast. Seriously man, glad you're ok and way to go Toyota/Subaru, you've designed a tough little car.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
TEWwild (03-09-2015)