follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #4271
KevinK121
Miata traitor

Drives: 2002 Miata SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJuan View Post
It says in the link, Corvettes of Minnesota. It's a Met council event.

Met council calendar
I don reed so gud somtyims

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #4272
Mvhs09

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anyone interested in 18x10 volks ze40?
Mvhs09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:51 PM   #4273
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
If anyone wants in on a great track weekend coming up this weekend, come to Motorsports Park Hastings. Hastings, NE. It'll be a blast, tho a drive for most from MN.

If interested PM me!
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-t_240 For This Useful Post:
clbembry (05-30-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #4274
Jbush

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Jbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #4275
mdost03

Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Hey all, I am a fan of the BRZ/FR-S platform and am interested in buying one within the next year. Does anyone actually DD these cars year-round in MN or is that not advised? I've been an owner of DSM's for many years now so I have a good handle on wrenching on a car and the looks of the twins really have my attention. Basically what I am looking for is opinion on DD in MN or if I should keep a 2nd car around for the winter months. For what it's worth, I'd be getting a manual transmission car. Thanks in advance!
mdost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:54 AM   #4276
KevinK121
Miata traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbush View Post
Hey, welcome to the forum side of the Minnesota 86 peoples. Not many of the FB folks make it here. Just the best one

(Kidding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdost03 View Post
Hey all, I am a fan of the BRZ/FR-S platform and am interested in buying one within the next year. Does anyone actually DD these cars year-round in MN or is that not advised? I've been an owner of DSM's for many years now so I have a good handle on wrenching on a car and the looks of the twins really have my attention. Basically what I am looking for is opinion on DD in MN or if I should keep a 2nd car around for the winter months. For what it's worth, I'd be getting a manual transmission car. Thanks in advance!

Personally I wouldnt DD it because I would just be concerned with keeping it out of danger and salt as long as possible lol.

With that said a lot of people do winter them. Im sure its fine with the right tires. I have a white '13 BRZ Limited for sale right now that happens to have the underbody protective coating if you're interested lol.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:03 AM   #4277
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I know a handful of people that DD their FRS/BRZ in the winter, and they claim that with snow tires and some sandbags in the trunk, that it does "well". They have commented that sometimes there is trouble getting up steep slopes, but otherwise fine.

So I'm sure you would survive fine, but I think it's all relative. I've been driving AWD Subaru's with snow tires for several years now, and even the worst AWD with snow tires will crush any RWD with snow tires.

So it's up to you, but there's no chance that I'm driving my FRS in the winter. I'd pick up a cheap Subaru winter beater before I did that. Fortunately, I have a Forester XT that serves as my DD year round. I still end up driving the FRS quite a bit in the nicer months because it is so much fun to drive, gets great gas mileage, and is very comfortable (even for me at 6'6").

Test drive one, you won't be disappointed. And to quote my favorite quote about these cars, "If you think the BRZ/FRS is too slow, the road is too straight."
KevinK121 (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #4278
KevinK121
Miata traitor

"If you think the BRZ/FRS is too slow, the road is too straight."

Lol awesome quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #4279
mdost03

Drives: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK121 View Post
Hey, welcome to the forum side of the Minnesota 86 peoples. Not many of the FB folks make it here. Just the best one

(Kidding)

Personally I wouldnt DD it because I would just be concerned with keeping it out of danger and salt as long as possible lol.

With that said a lot of people do winter them. Im sure its fine with the right tires. I have a white '13 BRZ Limited for sale right now that happens to have the underbody protective coating if you're interested lol.
I wish, haha. I have to take care of some debt before I take out another car loan, but I think I am set on making one of these my next car purchase. Just to satisfy my curiosity, could you pm me what you are trying to get for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMF View Post
I know a handful of people that DD their FRS/BRZ in the winter, and they claim that with snow tires and some sandbags in the trunk, that it does "well". They have commented that sometimes there is trouble getting up steep slopes, but otherwise fine.

So I'm sure you would survive fine, but I think it's all relative. I've been driving AWD Subaru's with snow tires for several years now, and even the worst AWD with snow tires will crush any RWD with snow tires.

So it's up to you, but there's no chance that I'm driving my FRS in the winter. I'd pick up a cheap Subaru winter beater before I did that. Fortunately, I have a Forester XT that serves as my DD year round. I still end up driving the FRS quite a bit in the nicer months because it is so much fun to drive, gets great gas mileage, and is very comfortable (even for me at 6'6").

Test drive one, you won't be disappointed. And to quote my favorite quote about these cars, "If you think the BRZ/FRS is too slow, the road is too straight."
I currently only drive about a mile to work on residential streets so I would maybe be able to DD in the winter without much issue, but the car being so low to the ground makes me think I might run into some issues with plowing and traction. Not to mention I might be moving to a neighboring city in the future to live with the gf so that could also be a problem. I have an 06 Eclipse that I DD currently so I'll maybe have to keep that around.
mdost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdost03 For This Useful Post:
KevinK121 (05-31-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #4280
TMF

Drives: '14 FRS TT5
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I wish, haha. I have to take care of some debt before I take out another car loan, but I think I am set on making one of these my next car purchase. Just to satisfy my curiosity, could you pm me what you are trying to get for it?

I currently only drive about a mile to work on residential streets so I would maybe be able to DD in the winter without much issue, but the car being so low to the ground makes me think I might run into some issues with plowing and traction. Not to mention I might be moving to a neighboring city in the future to live with the gf so that could also be a problem. I have an 06 Eclipse that I DD currently so I'll maybe have to keep that around.
When comparing the BRZ/FRS to the Eclipse, the Eclipse doesn't have that much ground clearance either. So take your pick when you spin out, either understeer into the curb (FWD) or oversteer into the curb (RWD).

Lot's of people claim that RWD in the winter is a blast. I'm sure it is, especially for going sideways. I prefer to have more control though. If it was me, I'd sell the Eclipse and pick up an older Subaru for a winter DD.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:26 PM   #4281
walletsr

Drives: 2014
Cars and coffee tomorrow in chanhassen
walletsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #4282
driftagoon

Drives: 13 FRS MT,11 wrx STi, 01Forester MT
Howdy! I was wondering if I could get suggestions for some good locations for photography with my car hopefully by a lakeshore around south east MN region/ bordering WI. Has anybody in here tried such a thing before?
Old 06-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #4283
KevinK121
Miata traitor

I have my Q300 for sale if anyone is interested.

SS tips.

Paid 750 last summer. Has around 5,000 miles on it and hasn't seen salt or winter in general

Asking 600 obo.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #4284
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftagoon View Post
Howdy! I was wondering if I could get suggestions for some good locations for photography with my car hopefully by a lakeshore around south east MN region/ bordering WI. Has anybody in here tried such a thing before?

You can try Lake City, down Hwy 61 on the River. There's a nice park on the north side, with river as a background.
driftagoon (06-25-2016)