follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
Just for kicks and giggles... I used Purolator's website to cross reference vehicle applications and the Purolator Oil Filter for the 86 is the same as the one for the S2000. PL14459. However, when doing a little research over at NASIOC, apparently a Purolator rep said that the PL14460 should be used instead as it has a better drainback properties and bypass valve psi rating.

Ironically, I run the PCX-004 (JDM part#) s2000 oil filter on my CRX road race car and I think I might just use that on my FRS since I buy them in bulk and it's known to be a very very good filter.

That bypass rating thing bugs the crap out of me. Everyone seems to think that having the bypass valve set to open at a higher psi then most engines will somehow help something. But let's think about this. The oil pump is a positive displacement pump who's output pressure is regulated by a pressure control valve. Meaning the pressure leaving the pump will be constant once the engine RPMs are sufficient that the control valve is operating.

Next up, the bypass valve does not work on oil system pressure, it works on filter differential pressure. That means that the bypass valve doesn't open until the oil filter is dropping sufficient pressure to cause the valve to open.

Now, when you put those two things together you get the oil leaving the pump and heading for the oil filter where the pressure is dropped and then to the rest of the system. If these filters drop more pressure before the bypass valve opens, then the oil pressure making it to the bearings, lifters, etc., when you are nearing the end of the filters life, is lower then in other filter designs.

Personally, I'd rather have a filter that has enough filter media so that it doesn't need to have a higher then normal bypass pressure in order to make it through the service interval before it opens.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Chandlsd (08-20-2012), Subie (07-29-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #16
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
That bypass rating thing bugs the crap out of me. Everyone seems to think that having the bypass valve set to open at a higher psi then most engines will somehow help something. But let's think about this. The oil pump is a positive displacement pump who's output pressure is regulated by a pressure control valve. Meaning the pressure leaving the pump will be constant once the engine RPMs are sufficient that the control valve is operating.

Next up, the bypass valve does not work on oil system pressure, it works on filter differential pressure. That means that the bypass valve doesn't open until the oil filter is dropping sufficient pressure to cause the valve to open.

Now, when you put those two things together you get the oil leaving the pump and heading for the oil filter where the pressure is dropped and then to the rest of the system. If these filters drop more pressure before the bypass valve opens, then the oil pressure making it to the bearings, lifters, etc., when you are nearing the end of the filters life, is lower then in other filter designs.

Personally, I'd rather have a filter that has enough filter media so that it doesn't need to have a higher then normal bypass pressure in order to make it through the service interval before it opens.
Okay okay okay... Calm down. I got it wrong. Good info on the bypass stuff though.

Just a few things to clear the air and hopefully cool your jets.

1st: Purolator makes decent filters and really, aren't most filters, if changed often, good enough? We're not talking about 10,000 mile intervals here.

2nd: While the difference between the PL14459 and PL14460 part number is indeed the bypass pressure, the reason the purolator rep recommended the 60 over the 59 had nothing to do with the pressure but with the fact that the 59, in that if it was installed wrong (over tightened a little) it damaged something in the filter pretty easily and the 60 didn't have this "shortcoming". I'm sorry I left out this detail, doing so clearly affected your blood pressure... so, my bad. I'm also to lazy to re-google that thread.

Since I already have sponsorship with the local Honda dealer I'm probably just going to use the same Honda filters on my FRS that I use on the race car.
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #17
Calum
That Guy

Sorry, you didn't piss me off. And you're by no means the first person that has mentioned the bypass pressure rating. It's the people that passed on the info about the bypass rating and tried to sell it as good, instead of as a cost saving measure and a means to extend the service interval of way too small filters that pissues me off.

Yes, most filters if changed often are good. The question is, what is often enough. You should never notice a difference in power after an oil change and certainly not at 1000 kms early, but both happened with my impreza before this (08 2.5i). Those blue filters shouldn't be used for more then about 3500 kms in my opinion and looking at the size of these, they aren't much better.

I don't know anything about either of those filters, please post pics and any info you have. Really, I should measure the threads and gasket and try to find the largest filter I can get on there.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:52 AM   #18
kharn83

Drives: S15 Silvia
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Filter confirmation?

HI Guys

This internal deconstruction is super handy, thanks for doing that.. I was reading on another forum (aussie forum) that the reason the 130 filter was superceded was to do with :

"Of note, the subaru 130 filter has been supersceded in japan and for those in the know on the FB2x engines because of its volume. Filter drains, when engine re starts it fires without the filter being able to fill and get oil into the crank journals."

The user who posted this mentioned in Japan it was superceded with the 160 filter.

Is anyone able to verify this? i.e. whether in Japan they use the 160, and part of the change is to do with oil not getting into the engine when it restarts early enough?

Thanks!
kharn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
Wheelsoffracing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
So what is the correct Toyota part #, both old & new? There is a Subaru filter on it now. I was given a Toyota SU003-00311 is that correct? The price was list $11.47 net $7.50. I was charged the net amount. There seemed to be some confusion at the parts counter.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #20
KSC

Drives: Ion Redline
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
THIS is the filter you want. The Subaru 15208AA130 is the black "Made in Japan" filter manufactured by Tokyo Roki and the very same filter that came on your car from the factory. The blue one (some) dealers try to give out is the cheap piece of shit made by Fram.

You can also use the taller 160, but I see no reason to change. Not exactly sure where kharn83 is getting his info, but AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with the 130's. If there were, I would imagine someone would have alerted us to change it and that new cars wouldn't still come with 130's.

In any event, buy the filters at Subaru. I'm told Toyota are just reboxing the same filter and charging more money for it. 130's are still available, they are the same filter used pn the 2.2 NA Foresters.

Last edited by KSC; 03-21-2013 at 05:03 PM.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KSC For This Useful Post:
Wheelsoffracing (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #21
Wheelsoffracing

Thanks! The Subaru dealer is right across the street from the Toyota dealer.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
Wheelsoffracing

Toyota Part #

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
THIS is the filter you want. The Subaru 15208AA130 is the black "Made in Japan" filter manufactured by Tokyo Roki and the very same filter that came on your car from the factory. The blue one (some) dealers try to give out is the cheap piece of shit made by Fram.

You can also use the taller 160, but I see no reason to change. Not exactly sure where kharn83 is getting his info, but AFAIK, there is nothing wrong with the 130's. If there were, I would imagine someone would have alerted us to change it and that new cars wouldn't still come with 130's.

In any event, buy the filters at Subaru. I'm told Toyota are just reboxing the same filter and charging more money for it. 130's are still available, they are the same filter used pn the 2.2 NA Foresters.
FYI The repackaged Subaru filter is in a Toyota box with part # SU003-00311. This is the 15208AA130 that comes on the car, but as you said it is a little more at the Toyota dealer.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #23
dokterdewe

Drives: an automatic lightning red 86
Send a message via Yahoo to dokterdewe
i did charged at 25 USD for a genuine filter from Toyota dealer...... well if its not for warranty...
dokterdewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #24
448hpsti
In Test:Oil Fed SC

Drives: Vortech Prototype Test Car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Nice thread I don't trust the new filter, I know I should.

Since you have them apart can u comment on wall thickness?

I use kn hp 1004 on mine. If I send you mine, you wanna take it apart?
448hpsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #25
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 448hpsti View Post

I haven't checked this thread is ages, for some reason I decided to check it again today.

Gem, if you ever get on here, I'd be happy to tear apart that filter. PM me for an address.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #26
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 448hpsti View Post

I haven't checked this thread is ages, for some reason I decided to check it again today.

Gem, if you ever get on here, I'd be happy to tear apart that filter. PM me for an address.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #27
nashsnazzy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S White Out
Hey gang, Ralleysport sold me these oil filters for my FR-S, http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Suba...FdBi7AodkHAAvw . Are those the right part? Are they crap?
nashsnazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:16 AM   #28
BaBaFlyingSheep

Drives: 2015 BRZ Ltd 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2015 BRZ now at 6k oil change intervals

Kind of an old thread, but did anyone notice that the 2015 Subaru models now have 6k oil change intervals, down from 7,500 for the 2014? That's like 20% less miles, at least according to the owner's manual.

It would make sense if the new filters has less surface area and holds less debris and junk. 7 less pleats and more swallow. I can't see the vernier readings on the pictures, but if it was half the height, that would equate to 20% less surface area.

Does anyone have actual pricing on the oil filters, regardless if it's 130 or 160? I can find the Subaru at ~$7.85, but I can't find the Toyota/Scion version.
Since this was a thread about cost reductions for the filters, maybe Toyobaru can be nice and take 20% off the price of oil filters

Is this a general trend where Subaru parts are cheaper, but service is more expensive?

Just comparing oil changes at the dealership, Subaru tends to be 40% more expensive than Toyota, assuming you can't get underneath the car to change it yourself.
BaBaFlyingSheep is offline   Reply With Quote