follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2022, 01:03 PM   #813
otter

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Same, mostly Subaru around here, much easier for autocrossers to get their hands on one for a fair price and minimal hassle.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to otter For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 02:30 PM   #814
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
Definitely a regional thing, I've seen many more BRZs because you could order them. Toyota seems to have brought 95% automatics to the NE US and when there are manuals they're massively marked up.
That is my experience as well. All of the Toyota dealers I spoke to only had allocations for automatics and no ability to do a customer order. Subaru was more than happy to put me in a manual car for MSRP.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:57 AM   #815
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
One Toyota in my region. He put his name on the list at several dealers and then went from TN to upstate NY to get his when a deal fell through.

I think literally every car that I've seen on the street is a BRZ. I wouldn't even know where to start if I wanted to buy a GR locally.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 09:15 PM   #816
kraftyone

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
So I have heard the adage that you can throw four tires in our cars and drive to the track and go racing. Does anyone actually do that? Just for giggles today I crammed my 4 spare tires in the car. There is no way I am getting my jack and the tote with my tools and fluids in also.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
kraftyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 02:27 AM   #817
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftyone View Post
So I have heard the adage that you can throw four tires in our cars and drive to the track and go racing. Does anyone actually do that? Just for giggles today I crammed my 4 spare tires in the car. There is no way I am getting my jack and the tote with my tools and fluids in also.

Yes, fold the rear seats down, pass at least three tires through the passenger door and lay them down behind the front seats. Fourth tire can go in the trunk, although depending on size can go behind the front seats, plenty of space for tools and helmet.

I have regularly stuffed 4x 17x9s over the past 7 years.

This video is kind of how they’re arranged, he’s got larger diameter tires, yours should be able to lay flat.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Aroundomaha (07-03-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 03:38 PM   #818
Autoxer62

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Quote:

You need to play some more old school Tetris

A pair of co-drivers at the NJ Pro fit all four tires, jack, tools, event gear, their weekend luggage, and the two of them in the car.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:37 PM   #819
MacSpeed

Drives: 2022 BRZ
Quote:

I put 2 in the trunk stacked, 2 in the back seats folded down behind driver seat. Tote and cooler on Pass side with enough room on top for duffle bag or backpack. Pass seat is wide open for extra stuff.

Helmet goes in truck on oneside of the tires and jack on the other. Ive also tossed a chair ontop of the jack too. Tons of space if you play with it.
MacSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:32 PM   #820
kraftyone

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
I hadn't thought of removing the spare and putting one tire there until someone mentioned it.

kraftyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:49 PM   #821
foshjowler

Drives: 2022 BRZ; 2014 BRZ
Went to my first National tour in Bristol this weekend. Felt good after the first day being in the final trophy position, but wasn't able to back it up on the second day. The rains were coming, so I wanted to make sure I got in one clean run in case things got wet. For my second run, I probably got the wetest run after some drizzling, it stopped as I was on course, so was a little slower. Then coned away a faster run for my third, still wouldn't have been enough to hold a trophy anyway. Accomplished my goal of being in the top half overall though.

Almost happy I didn't trophy though, becuase during second driver runs (last 10 or so runs of the event) there was a lightning delay, and they ended up letting anyone who wasn't in the trophies leave. Meant I could head home (4.5 hour drive) an hour or more sooner.

Also did the pro-solo the days before, but recorded all the runs together, and I'm too lazy to find the best ones. Didn't end up doing all that well, partially because they were definitely a 3rd gear courses, and the 3-2 shift was arguing with me all event, so I stopped even trying and lost quite a bit of time sitting on the rev limiter in 2nd. It was less punishing at the champ tour not shifting.

Autox Videos
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:17 PM   #822
AlexPiehl

Drives: 2022 GR86 Premium - Pavement
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
The rains were coming, so I wanted to make sure I got in one clean run in case things got wet. For my second run, I probably got the wetest run after some drizzling, it stopped as I was on course, so was a little slower.
Yeah, I was a little bummed too w/ the timing of it. I probably drove best on my 2nd run on Day 2 but conditions were the worst. 3rd run was faster simply from having better conditions but I made a few pretty decent mistakes.

I had a bad launch, double inputted the throttle coming out of the 1st turn, wide off entry on the 2nd turn, and got a bit loose (and behind) on the fast left which I would have liked to have driven in 2nd but there wasn't a great downshift point. A few other minor input things dealing w/ the bumps.

EDIT: Sorry about the wind noise, my external mic broke during the Pro and have already ordered a new one.
AlexPiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlexPiehl For This Useful Post:
cueball89 (07-06-2022), otter (07-06-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 09:25 AM   #823
otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Factory front strut has a tapered bolt in the Top hole, one side of the hole is larger then the other. Instead of copying this koni put big holes on both sides of the strut, with the bigger hole you can get more camber then allowed by factory, it’s basically a ‘slotted’ aftermarket strut and thus not Street legal. Koni should be able to provide a washer that constricts one hole mimicking the original strut design. Shame they’re not responding to you, posting their contact page below just in case you’re calling/emailing the wrong address.

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...About/Contact/

My only alternative is contacting a koni dealer that’s Motorsports affiliated to act as a go between since you’re not buying from koni directly anyway. Off the top of my head; Stranoparts, ProParts USA, or Tirerack will likely be willing to make at least a phone call or two to get your business.
Just throwing this here in case someone else ends up searching for the same question I had about this stupid anti-protest (centering) washer. Confirming calling Koni is the right path (number on their website), just took a few attempts to get to the right person to get a response.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to otter For This Useful Post:
edj (07-08-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 10:50 AM   #824
foshjowler

Drives: 2022 BRZ; 2014 BRZ
First overall PAX (by over a second) and 3rd raw. Rockingham is always an interesting site that I try and go to whenever I can. The banking creates an interesting challenge that I don't get anywhere else.

Autox Videos
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:51 PM   #825
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
Just throwing this here in case someone else ends up searching for the same question I had about this stupid anti-protest (centering) washer. Confirming calling Koni is the right path (number on their website), just took a few attempts to get to the right person to get a response.

So frustrating that Koni *still* hasn't fixed this with a better solution than a washer.

They claim their shocks are direct copies of OE fitment on other cars too, but on the ND Miata the shock body is ~5mm longer than stock which means anyone slapping OEM bumpstops on them runs afoul of bumpstop rules.

Annoying.
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #826
otter

56 entries for Lincoln and signups have slowed to a crawl (not selling out this year I guess) so safe bet that DS is going to be the biggest class of the year. I believe this makes it the biggest class I've run, so many people for me to lose to.