follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
Pat.Thornton

Old 06-06-2022, 01:47 PM   #617
Mars

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Mine would sound just as dramatic inside the garage. The clack is to be expected when rapidly accelerating the whole gearset. There's plenty of lash in there to account for that noise. Here's the sound of my backup transmission. It came out of a wrecked boosted one. This is what they sound like after some abuse. It sounds no worse today than it did when first installed....
Thank you very much for this explanation and video! Super helpful! I actually found out right after buying this car that it used to be boosted (seller never disclosed this info and there were no traces of it being boosted) when the motor went. Makes sense that my trans would sound similar. Glad to know its just a little abused, I already switched in Motul Gear Oil (whatever the recommended one on here was) and plan on doing slightly more often than recommended trans and diff oil changes due to the car's prior abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
...The creak is annoying, I know. Did you try my trick of pulling the top of the fork forward to bottom out the piston in the slave cylinder? Then jiggle it back and forth rapidly to move stuff around at the pivots. If the creak goes away for a while after that, then you've found the source. You'll probably also notice how badly the TOB hangs up on the quill. It's a really shitty design.
I'll have to give that exact method a shot. Initially the sound did go away so I'm sure once everything has been wiggled around it should disappear.

Again, thank you for your assistance @Ultramaroon
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-06-2022)