follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2018, 05:51 PM   #1
shaynek

Drives: BRZ Limited; GR86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
whole lot of weirdness/possible overheating

So I got a new tune revision from my tuner and I flashed the car. After doing so, I went to log and everything seemed normal at first but I noticed a bit of burning smell (the type that you get when you buy a new car). looked under the hood but nothing seemed out of ordinary. Then my car started to idle roughly and the check engine light came on (the code was a p0011). I noticed the vvt intake was at -30. At this point, I thought it was possible that the tune was the issue. I swapped CAM sensors just to be sure but still got the same code. The next day I drove to the gas station and everything was normal and on the way back, the vvt started to go up to -30 again (burning smell present again). luckily I was on the highway and not very far from my house. Within a few min I got a check engine again. I looked at my gauges and coolant temp was at 98, oil temp was at 99. I decided to drive it home since I was a mile away. I got home checked under the hood and at this point i didn't know what was going on with the car. As I was looking for possible issues, my flash light fell into the bay. When I went to grab it, I noticed the coolant hose was completely off. No clue how it happened but i'm suspecting something might have hit it. The coolant reservoir was sitting at midway so i never suspected that i had no coolant. reattached the hose and made sure to bleed the system. The car stopped throwing the p0011 code and seems to work fine.
The temp gauge never indicated the car was overheating, probably since there was no coolant inside and the oil temp was always around a 100c. Anyone know the damages that could have been caused by this? The car drives fine for all I know. I was going to use a gas analyzer to test for hydrocarbons in the radiator to see if my head gasket could be damaged. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
shaynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynek View Post
So I got a new tune revision from my tuner and I flashed the car. After doing so, I went to log and everything seemed normal at first but I noticed a bit of burning smell (the type that you get when you buy a new car). looked under the hood but nothing seemed out of ordinary. Then my car started to idle roughly and the check engine light came on (the code was a p0011). I noticed the vvt intake was at -30. At this point, I thought it was possible that the tune was the issue. I swapped CAM sensors just to be sure but still got the same code. The next day I drove to the gas station and everything was normal and on the way back, the vvt started to go up to -30 again (burning smell present again). luckily I was on the highway and not very far from my house. Within a few min I got a check engine again. I looked at my gauges and coolant temp was at 98, oil temp was at 99. I decided to drive it home since I was a mile away. I got home checked under the hood and at this point i didn't know what was going on with the car. As I was looking for possible issues, my flash light fell into the bay. When I went to grab it, I noticed the coolant hose was completely off. No clue how it happened but i'm suspecting something might have hit it. The coolant reservoir was sitting at midway so i never suspected that i had no coolant. reattached the hose and made sure to bleed the system. The car stopped throwing the p0011 code and seems to work fine.
The temp gauge never indicated the car was overheating, probably since there was no coolant inside and the oil temp was always around a 100c. Anyone know the damages that could have been caused by this? The car drives fine for all I know. I was going to use a gas analyzer to test for hydrocarbons in the radiator to see if my head gasket could be damaged. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Next oil change/at your leisure, send an oil sample in to test for coolant in the oil.

Other than that, do the usual sniff/smoke test from your exhaust.
EndlessAzure is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
shaynek (08-01-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 09:00 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Oh, yours hasn't been the first car to blow a coolant hose.

If it runs OK now, I reckon you dodged a bullet. I'd just suggest you make sure you have your cell phone with you for the next few miles of driving.

I hope it's OK.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
shaynek (07-31-2018), Tristor (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
shaynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh, yours hasn't been the first car to blow a coolant hose.

If it runs OK now, I reckon you dodged a bullet. I'd just suggest you make sure you have your cell phone with you for the next few miles of driving.

I hope it's OK.

humfrz
I’ve already let it idle for an hour while bleeding the system. Everything has been okay. I’ve taken the car out on a 30 mile highway run but it seemed as though the thermostat never really opened since it wasn’t reachin 95c. I’ve had my fair share of bad luck as my old motor threw a rod and now this
The Following User Says Thank You to shaynek For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-31-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 01:23 AM   #5
shaynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Next oil change/at your leisure, send an oil sample in to test for coolant in the oil.

Other than that, do the usual sniff/smoke test from your exhaust.
No smoke out of the tail pipe. Will definitely send in an oil analysis in about a week or two
Old 08-01-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
Razorlor

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited, Perf Package
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Even if there is no coolant passing over the temp sensor, it is still reading air temp. I don't think you have done any long term damage, you would have noticed it by now.
Razorlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Just came in to say that my car was pumping air into the coolant (head gasket had a small fissure), and once there is enough air to form a pocket around the sensor the temp gauge will go all the way to the max and you will get a check engine light (coolant circuit voltage low or something like that). So if you didnt get that code it means you still had coolant in the engine. If it was too cool for the thermostat to open, then it could've been saved by that fact (not circulating thru rad). For a coolant hose to get lose like that (assuming you still have a skid plate), it was probably pressure inside the system, I dont see how something would go thru the skid plate, disconnect the hose and out without ripping off the underbody completely. Test for carbon on coolant. My fissure was small enough that I continued tracking the car for 8 more track days and a couple of months of daily before it got bad where I couldnt complete a single lap on track before there were huge pockets of air into the system.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
shaynek (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
shaynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Just came in to say that my car was pumping air into the coolant (head gasket had a small fissure), and once there is enough air to form a pocket around the sensor the temp gauge will go all the way to the max and you will get a check engine light (coolant circuit voltage low or something like that). So if you didnt get that code it means you still had coolant in the engine. If it was too cool for the thermostat to open, then it could've been saved by that fact (not circulating thru rad). For a coolant hose to get lose like that (assuming you still have a skid plate), it was probably pressure inside the system, I dont see how something would go thru the skid plate, disconnect the hose and out without ripping off the underbody completely. Test for carbon on coolant. My fissure was small enough that I continued tracking the car for 8 more track days and a couple of months of daily before it got bad where I couldnt complete a single lap on track before there were huge pockets of air into the system.
I did get that code once but as soon as the car started idlling rough i turned it off. Hopefully nothing bad has happened to the car. When i was bleeding the system using a funnel, everytime the thermostat opened, i would get a couple of small bubbles. I’ll be doing a hydrocarbon test very soon