follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2022, 05:25 PM   #225
Ampere

Drives: 1999 Lexus LS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
So if anyone is thinking of buying these JBLs, do the front and rear at the same time, it's worth it.

Also, this adapter will let you reuse the stock connectors for the front speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RMZ4CR6
A/V noob here, I'm about to buy these on your recommendation, does this mean that you need a different adapter for the rear speakers? Or are they plug & play with the stock connectors?
Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:41 PM   #226
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampere View Post
A/V noob here, I'm about to buy these on your recommendation, does this mean that you need a different adapter for the rear speakers? Or are they plug & play with the stock connectors?
In this picture you can see the connector is mounted to the bracket and then it has leads the run to the speaker terminals. I simply snipped the leads off the OEM speaker and then soldered a short (1in) extensions to each lead and then soldered them to the new speaker. After that I was able to splimpy plug them in.

ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 07:57 AM   #227
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
In this picture you can see the connector is mounted to the bracket and then it has leads the run to the speaker terminals. I simply snipped the leads off the OEM speaker and then soldered a short (1in) extensions to each lead and then soldered them to the new speaker. After that I was able to splimpy plug them in.

I also did the same for the front speakers

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #228
TheBRZsKnees

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Garage
I'm curious how the experience is without a dedicated SIM card. Adding an entire extra line to my phone plan sounds wasteful, but I'd definitely want to use features like Waze.

Is using wi-fi tethering cumbersome? I know there's Apple Carplay, but that seems like a shame since you can't use the nice Teyes UI.

Also, can the Aux input be retained?

Last edited by TheBRZsKnees; 06-06-2022 at 10:55 PM.
TheBRZsKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 09:36 AM   #229
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBRZsKnees View Post
I'm curious how the experience is without a dedicated SD card. Adding an entire extra line to my phone plan sounds wasteful, but I'd definitely want to use features like Waze.

Is using wi-fi tethering cumbersome? I know there's Apple Carplay, but that seems like a shame since you can't use the nice Teyes UI.

Also, can the Aux input be retained?

CarPlay is all you need. I rooted my CC3 and installed an app that auto launches the CarLink app as soon as I start the car so I literally just get in my car and drive and never plug in the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
TheBRZsKnees (06-06-2022)
Old 05-29-2022, 05:58 PM   #230
Rican_D

I use AA frequently. But I'm always able to just hit the home button and go back to the home screen without closing AA. Can open right back up to it since it's still running in background. Wi-Fi tethering is simple.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rican_D For This Useful Post:
TheBRZsKnees (06-06-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 11:07 AM   #231
Rican_D

I think my backup camera crapped out. Camera is triggering but not getting any video.

Old 06-05-2022, 06:27 PM   #232
SnailMango

Drives: GT86 Orange Limited Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys, I'm interested in the Teyes CC3 for my 86, but I'm seeing that they provide a custom dash piece to mount the unit. My 86 doesn't have the dash divided in two pieces because it has a single Alcantara piece. Do you know if I'll be able to mount it without using their custom dash support? Maybe adapting the OEM head unit slot for the new one?
I'm seeing that someone was able to mount the Idoing PX6, that has the same shape, without using the dash piece provided with it, but I can't find anything about the mounting instructions sadly.
SnailMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:22 AM   #233
Leviticus Ezra

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/Performance Package
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Are you able to retain the factory back up cam with the provided harness? Or does it need a module of some sort to convert the connectors? I'm trying to retain as many stock conveniences as possible. As well as steering wheel controls. Has anyone been able to do this with this exact headunit? I'm really interested in it as it's android and seems to be one of the nicer plug and play models?
Leviticus Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:02 PM   #234
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviticus Ezra View Post
Are you able to retain the factory back up cam with the provided harness? Or does it need a module of some sort to convert the connectors? I'm trying to retain as many stock conveniences as possible. As well as steering wheel controls. Has anyone been able to do this with this exact headunit? I'm really interested in it as it's android and seems to be one of the nicer plug and play models?

It comes with a backup camera that is light years better than the OEM camera. If you really want to you can retain the stock camera. That’s what I did out of laziness. I was shocked at how much better the supplied camera was one I finally got around to installing it.

Can’t speak for wheel controls as I have a 2013.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:37 PM   #235
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
I guess what I'm really hoping for is a feature like this, that starts the tethering automatically. Does anyone know if the CC3 has something similar?

EDIT: Looks like it can be automated via Apple Shortcuts.

Last edited by TheBRZsKnees; 06-07-2022 at 12:33 AM. Reason: New Info
Old 07-15-2022, 06:41 PM   #236
TheBRZsKnees

Garage
Couple more quick questions, if anyone can answer.

I'm currently running a Rydeen DUO2 backup camera, and my guide lines are offset due to the factory mounting position. The Teyes HU seems to have a feature that allows for manual adjustment of guidelines. If I snip the wire to deactivate my Rydeen guidelines, will the HU allow me to manually set and configure virtual ones? Can this only be done if I buy Teyes camera? Looking at the website, there doesn't seem to be one bundled unless I add it.

Second, assuming I don't use carplay, do I need to use some sort of Teyes app on my phone to play my music via Bluetooth?

Last edited by TheBRZsKnees; 07-15-2022 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Camera situation clarification
Old 07-16-2022, 10:15 AM   #237
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBRZsKnees View Post
Couple more quick questions, if anyone can answer.

I'm currently running a Rydeen DUO2 backup camera, and my guide lines are offset due to the factory mounting position. The Teyes HU seems to have a feature that allows for manual adjustment of guidelines. If I snip the wire to deactivate my Rydeen guidelines, will the HU allow me to manually set and configure virtual ones? Can this only be done if I buy Teyes camera? Looking at the website, there doesn't seem to be one bundled unless I add it.

Second, assuming I don't use carplay, do I need to use some sort of Teyes app on my phone to play my music via Bluetooth?

The lines can moved in several ways. It's very flexible.

Bluetooth works just like a Bluetooth speaker would. Use any app you want.

If you have an iPhone, hands down that is the easiest and most convenient way to use it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-19-2022), TheBRZsKnees (07-16-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 10:23 AM   #238
Here2rock

Drives: 86 GTS
I recently purchased this unit, all is working very well but the reverse camera functionality. I have a 2012 Toyota GTS 86. I have used a harness to drop the voltage from 12V to 8V using Aerpro adapter. Camera works but the reverse trigger is not working. The camera neeeds to be picked from the main menu on the screen rather than switching when reversing. Is there a possible fix? I don't really want install a new camera and run new cables.
Here2rock is offline   Reply With Quote