follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2018, 05:07 PM   #29
eastendraceshop
Senior Member
 
eastendraceshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 798
Thanks: 406
Thanked 228 Times in 165 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Great write up!! Thank you for this!
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eastendraceshop For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (10-22-2019)
Old 03-05-2022, 10:34 PM   #30
Sam86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Location: VIC
Posts: 376
Thanks: 108
Thanked 100 Times in 64 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry for the big bump.

I’m currently doing this swap and am in the process of restoring my 08+ (black) sti calipers.

I’ve bought an OEM seal replacement kit as the dust boot was torn.

I’ve removed the pistons and want some reassurance or warning of whether they as safe to reuse (as I can’t source a placement locally and the cost including shipping is ridiculously high).
The outer surface of all the pistons are completely smooth and unscuffed, there is some slight scuffing on the bottom of the piston where it curves inwards (I don’t mean the base of the piston where it’s flat)I don’t believe this part makes contact with the outer wall. The scuffing is very minimal and I didn’t even notice it until closely examining each piston under a light. I don’t know how they would have even been caused either as they were already there when I removed the piston.

Will it fine as it isn’t the surface that touches the walls? Should I/ can I sand it slightly for peace of mind? It’s not sharp of rough but I can feel it slightly with my fingernail

Whilst I’m here is there any process people do to clean the insides of where the pistons sit outside of just a cloth and brake cleaner? After wiping the inside thoroughly it still looks dirty although it feels smooth and there’s nothing on my finger if I rub around the inside.

I’ll post a picture when I’m home
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 10:39 PM   #31
Sam86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Location: VIC
Posts: 376
Thanks: 108
Thanked 100 Times in 64 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Also a warning to people buying STI brembos (especially now for those looking to put them on the GEN 2)- there are Ali baba manufactures who make almost identical replica calipers that people paint and sell as refurbished OEM calipers. I had no idea this was a thing and fell victim to it.

I picked up on it a few days later and since I bought it from the guys house I was able to go there and confront him about it. But yea be cautious of people selling them rebuilt
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:21 PM   #32
gen3v8
Barred
 
gen3v8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Location: Botany Bay
Posts: 1,149
Thanks: 744
Thanked 1,194 Times in 613 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not trying to burst your bubble. The STI front calipers have a 40mm leading piston and a 42mm trailing piston. This is for more even pad pressure and wear. The calipers mount on the rear of the wheel stub axle on a WRX Sti.
When you fit these calipers to a BRZ/86 they mount on the front of the stub axle. So you have to put the left caliper on the right side to invert the bleeder valves to point upwards.
THIS IS EXTREMELY WRONG THEY DO NOT FIT BOLT UP PROPERLY THE LARGER PISTON NOW LEADS. See your picture. Not hear to argue or tell you about brake physics. Although it will work but not as designed.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Wait until my Flex capacitor hits 88
gen3v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gen3v8 For This Useful Post:
MrSkubi (03-08-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 04:04 AM   #33
Sam86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Location: VIC
Posts: 376
Thanks: 108
Thanked 100 Times in 64 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3v8 View Post
Not trying to burst your bubble. The STI front calipers have a 40mm leading piston and a 42mm trailing piston. This is for more even pad pressure and wear. The calipers mount on the rear of the wheel stub axle on a WRX Sti.
When you fit these calipers to a BRZ/86 they mount on the front of the stub axle. So you have to put the left caliper on the right side to invert the bleeder valves to point upwards.
THIS IS EXTREMELY WRONG THEY DO NOT FIT BOLT UP PROPERLY THE LARGER PISTON NOW LEADS. See your picture. Not hear to argue or tell you about brake physics. Although it will work but not as designed.
Is that not the reason why people flip the bleeders? I don’t mean inverting the left caliper to the right as you described, I mean removing the bleeder, and the block off bolt and swapping them
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam86 For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (03-16-2022)
Old 03-16-2022, 06:15 PM   #34
Trap63
Senior Member
 
Trap63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Location: TURIN - Piedmont - ITALY
Posts: 921
Thanks: 1,163
Thanked 834 Times in 288 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Is that not the reason why people flip the bleeders? I don’t mean inverting the left caliper to the right as you described, I mean removing the bleeder, and the block off bolt and swapping them
That's right!
It was sentenced
!! YOU NEED ONLY TO SWITCH BLEEDERS ON FRONT CALIPER FROM DOWN TO UP !!!!

only reading as well as...
__________________
Trap63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:30 AM   #35
Sam86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Location: VIC
Posts: 376
Thanks: 108
Thanked 100 Times in 64 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
whilst looking on a thread I saw this (what looks to be) official Subaru document that detailed the changes made for the updated 2017 model. I found the paragraph about the brembo interesting as it doesn’t really seem to distinguish the performance package brembos as seperate to the WRX sti brembos.

Saw a lot of comments regarding the safety of sti calipers and how they’re dangerous to run as they’re completely redeveloped specifically for the BRZ/86 - and are completely different from using flipped STI calipers, when this document doesn’t entirely support that…

Note the second last sentence where they essentially say they are the wrx sti calipers painted red. Again I know they’re not the EXACT same but my point is I don’t see why they would even mention the STI calipers if these were developed from the ground up and were specific to the twins outside of the necessary rotor/ piston order changes to run them.

Last edited by Sam86; 04-02-2022 at 04:41 AM.
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam86 For This Useful Post:
jongers (05-30-2022)
Old 06-14-2022, 06:40 PM   #36
gen3v8
Barred
 
gen3v8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Location: Botany Bay
Posts: 1,149
Thanks: 744
Thanked 1,194 Times in 613 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WRX STI Brembos are only drilled one end, only the bleeder is fitted. They have no block off cap or a joiner tube on the other end.
__________________
Wait until my Flex capacitor hits 88
gen3v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:44 AM   #37
Sam86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Location: VIC
Posts: 376
Thanks: 108
Thanked 100 Times in 64 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3v8 View Post
WRX STI Brembos are only drilled one end, only the bleeder is fitted. They have no block off cap or a joiner tube on the other end.
Are you talking about where the bleeder valves go? Because there is a block off cap at the opposite end that can be removed and swapped to the other end of the caliper. Unless it’s different for the pre-2008 STI calipers
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:45 AM   #38
Sam86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Location: VIC
Posts: 376
Thanks: 108
Thanked 100 Times in 64 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Finished the install of my reconditioned Black STI Brembos. I kept the original bleeders valves and pistons but replaced the seals and dustboots (was a huge pain to do compared to how people made it look on YouTube). Only real issue I ran into was getting a couple of the dust boots to fit flush, and there was an issue with the bleeder valve leaking brake fluid. Was able to stop the leak but the bolt was torqued down significantly harder than recommended. Not sure if it’s an issue with the caliper or the bleeder bolt itself as it was reused with just a vinegar bath to clean it up abit.

In terms of brake feel, if I’m honest it doesn’t feel that much different to stock. I didn’t have any adjustment period to get used to the brakes like it is when you drive someone else’s car. Felt the same as stock just smoother and slightly more precise/ firm as you come to a complete stock. Not mad about it as I liked the stock brake feel and was worried these would be too harsh. I swapped front and rear rotors, pads and added braided steel lines so I was expecting a more drastic feeling. I’m not running particularly harsh pads though so that could be why. Just standard brembo pads for the STI caliper, and DBA street pads in the rear.

I got the calipers fairly cheap so I don’t regret the swap. But I wouldn’t recommend this particular swap if your primary goal is performance. Probably be better looking at AP racing brakes
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:22 AM   #39
gen3v8
Barred
 
gen3v8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Location: Botany Bay
Posts: 1,149
Thanks: 744
Thanked 1,194 Times in 613 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Are you talking about where the bleeder valves go? Because there is a block off cap at the opposite end that can be removed and swapped to the other end of the caliper. Unless itís different for the pre-2008 STI calipers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3v8 View Post
WRX STI Brembos are only drilled one end, only the bleeder is fitted. They have no block off cap or a joiner tube on the other end.
Genuine WRX STI BREMBO ^^^
__________________
Wait until my Flex capacitor hits 88
gen3v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:53 PM   #40
clio
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Location: Australia
Posts: 42
Thanks: 1
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Finished the install of my reconditioned Black STI Brembos. I kept the original bleeders valves and pistons but replaced the seals and dustboots (was a huge pain to do compared to how people made it look on YouTube). Only real issue I ran into was getting a couple of the dust boots to fit flush, and there was an issue with the bleeder valve leaking brake fluid. Was able to stop the leak but the bolt was torqued down significantly harder than recommended. Not sure if it’s an issue with the caliper or the bleeder bolt itself as it was reused with just a vinegar bath to clean it up abit.

In terms of brake feel, if I’m honest it doesn’t feel that much different to stock. I didn’t have any adjustment period to get used to the brakes like it is when you drive someone else’s car. Felt the same as stock just smoother and slightly more precise/ firm as you come to a complete stock. Not mad about it as I liked the stock brake feel and was worried these would be too harsh. I swapped front and rear rotors, pads and added braided steel lines so I was expecting a more drastic feeling. I’m not running particularly harsh pads though so that could be why. Just standard brembo pads for the STI caliper, and DBA street pads in the rear.

I got the calipers fairly cheap so I don’t regret the swap. But I wouldn’t recommend this particular swap if your primary goal is performance. Probably be better looking at AP racing brakes
I think many people expect that larger calipers will increase the stopping power however there will be no difference to the oem units.
The 'performance' that larger calipers afford is the increased ability to repeatedly brake.
clio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:25 PM   #41
Sam86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Location: VIC
Posts: 376
Thanks: 108
Thanked 100 Times in 64 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clio View Post
I think many people expect that larger calipers will increase the stopping power however there will be no difference to the oem units.
The 'performance' that larger calipers afford is the increased ability to repeatedly brake.
Yea, I did expect a little more from the larger caliper, but was more surprised at the little difference from the braided lines, and new pads (previously my brakes were completely OEM, pads included) as Iíve seen people comment on the difference those should make
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam86 For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-15-2022)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Evo X brembo brakes Justkiz Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 1 08-12-2013 02:00 AM
STI Brembo HELP ~ Trap63 Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 19 08-02-2013 06:59 PM
Brembo + STD R9 dompower Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 17 06-13-2013 07:56 PM
WORKS Stage 1 Complete Brake Package Upgrade 86_ZN6 Brakes, Suspension, Chassis 1 05-28-2013 04:57 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.