follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #2227
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!
 
chanomatik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Posts: 2,538
Thanks: 6,416
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oh! Okay I'll go feel around, paying no heed to what others may think I'm doing to my car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #2228
kuczynskika
Senior Member
 
kuczynskika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 773
Thanks: 293
Thanked 314 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Oh! Okay I'll go feel around, paying no heed to what others may think I'm doing to my car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Haha! tbh there is no way to not look weird while doing this install. Its awkward AF.
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #2229
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!
 
chanomatik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Posts: 2,538
Thanks: 6,416
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thank you so much! I've been putting that off for years! And now I have all the STI emblems I've purchased finally on the car: front bumper emblem, trunk badge, door stickers, front lip and side skirt emblems. The front bumper wasn't actually that hard, which I'm glad.

If anyone else is within an hour or two of Mahwah in North New Jersey, I'd be glad to help you install the front emblem!


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (06-15-2016), Iceman (06-13-2016), krayzie (06-11-2016), kuczynskika (06-11-2016), sprintertrueno86 (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 10:07 PM   #2230
krayzie
Drive From Home
 
krayzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Location: Filth City
Posts: 4,914
Thanks: 2,368
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Thank you so much! I've been putting that off for years! And now I have all the STI emblems I've purchased finally on the car: front bumper emblem, trunk badge, door stickers, front lip and side skirt emblems. The front bumper wasn't actually that hard, which I'm glad.

If anyone else is within an hour or two of Mahwah in North New Jersey, I'd be glad to help you install the front emblem!


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
I guess I'm at the stage where I can start to work on cosmetic parts.

Did you have to remove the front bumper to install the front emblem properly? Wouldn't an L shape screwdriver key work (like from my bicycle multi-tool)? Did you get both screws on there?

When I put my hand into that area, it seems like I can push the styrofoam piece away towards the back for more room (I have fat hands)?

Dam I'm still trying to find this front STI emblem part on Japanparts.

Last edited by krayzie; 06-11-2016 at 10:22 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #2231
kuczynskika
Senior Member
 
kuczynskika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 773
Thanks: 293
Thanked 314 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I guess I'm at the stage where I can start to work on cosmetic parts.

Did you have to remove the front bumper to install the front emblem properly? Wouldn't an L shape screwdriver key work (like from my bicycle multi-tool)? Did you get both screws on there?

When I put my hand into that area, it seems like I can push the styrofoam piece away towards the back for more room (I have fat hands)?

Dam I'm still trying to find this front STI emblem part on Japanparts.


You won't did it listed under STI. Search under Subaru. It's classified as a Subaru part for some reason.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kuczynskika For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 10:45 PM   #2232
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!
 
chanomatik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, USA
Posts: 2,538
Thanks: 6,416
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I guess I'm at the stage where I can start to work on cosmetic parts.

Did you have to remove the front bumper to install the front emblem properly? Wouldn't an L shape screwdriver key work (like from my bicycle multi-tool)? Did you get both screws on there?

When I put my hand into that area, it seems like I can push the styrofoam piece away towards the back for more room (I have fat hands)?

Dam I'm still trying to find this front STI emblem part on Japanparts.
No I did not. I placed the bracket first, pushed the Styrofoam piece over and lined up the bracket with the screw points. It sits right in them. Then I put the screws in, but they don't screw all the way down. Then the STI emblem clicks right in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
krayzie (06-12-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 03:18 AM   #2233
kuczynskika
Senior Member
 
kuczynskika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 773
Thanks: 293
Thanked 314 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
a speedy DIY as these parts are not on sale....




Genuine Chrome Trim Subaru and Grimmspeed Cherry STI spray paint, flexo clear coat for PPE bumper and 3M adhesive foam (9mm x 0,9 mm) on back.
Need primer for PPE or Fiberglass then 3M 2000, 800. Grimmspeed paint and Lechler clear coat (max 60 about 30 mins)


Just bought the chrome trim; shipping it from Germany! @Trap63, any more tips or tricks for preparing and painting the trim? Exactly what kind of clear coat did you use? Part numbers? Thanks for being the trailblazer!
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kuczynskika For This Useful Post:
Trap63 (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 06:35 AM   #2234
Trap63
Senior Member
 
Trap63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Location: TURIN - Piedmont - ITALY
Posts: 921
Thanks: 1,163
Thanked 834 Times in 288 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hi kuczynskika , I don't know the right part no.
Bodywork repairs often use clearcoat for bumper adding flex additive, mostly sold by PPG and 3M and Sikkens or DuPont. Basically this clear coat has more resins than the one you can spray all over metal body. Ask @ your local bodywork, they know that.
__________________
Trap63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:19 PM   #2235
kuczynskika
Senior Member
 
kuczynskika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 773
Thanks: 293
Thanked 314 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
Hi kuczynskika , I don't know the right part no.
Bodywork repairs often use clearcoat for bumper adding flex additive, mostly sold by PPG and 3M and Sikkens or DuPont. Basically this clear coat has more resins than the one you can spray all over metal body. Ask @ your local bodywork, they know that.
Thanks @Trap63 Seems like that stuff is easily obtainable. What ratio of gloss and flat did you use in the clear coat to achieve the finish?
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #2236
Trap63
Senior Member
 
Trap63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Location: TURIN - Piedmont - ITALY
Posts: 921
Thanks: 1,163
Thanked 834 Times in 288 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
Thanks @Trap63 Seems like that stuff is easily obtainable. What ratio of gloss and flat did you use in the clear coat to achieve the finish?
About flex increase ratio, twice than usual on metal or 30%+ for PPU coating, about glossy not exceed 0,20 - 0,35 micron as shape of trim is flat instead of curved when applied. Be gently in application in a warm day.
I replaced back adhesive (3M 0,8 mm foam, adhesive), when removing you'll see alu base of trim, don't worry about scratches as pink paint will cover any background of trim.
__________________
Trap63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:04 PM   #2237
hypebrz
IG: @HypeBRZ
 
hypebrz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: Series.Hyperblue BRZ
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 355
Thanks: 331
Thanked 169 Times in 115 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuczynskika View Post
You won't did it listed under STI. Search under Subaru. It's classified as a Subaru part for some reason.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Just get it from FT86SF??
__________________
hypebrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #2238
kuczynskika
Senior Member
 
kuczynskika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 773
Thanks: 293
Thanked 314 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypebrz View Post
Just get it from FT86SF??


Right now that's the best way since the conversion from USD to yen sucks. Cheaper to buy JDM that's already been imported than buying from Japanparts unfortunately.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #2239
kuczynskika
Senior Member
 
kuczynskika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: Harrop TVS86 STi BRZ tS
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 773
Thanks: 293
Thanked 314 Times in 201 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap63 View Post
About flex increase ratio, twice than usual on metal or 30%+ for PPU coating, about glossy not exceed 0,20 - 0,35 micron as shape of trim is flat instead of curved when applied. Be gently in application in a warm day.

I replaced back adhesive (3M 0,8 mm foam, adhesive), when removing you'll see alu base of trim, don't worry about scratches as pink paint will cover any background of trim.


So an added 30% of flex material in the total mix? I don't understand what you mean by microns either.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kuczynskika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:28 PM   #2240
Trap63
Senior Member
 
Trap63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: Brz WRB - Europe LHD
Location: TURIN - Piedmont - ITALY
Posts: 921
Thanks: 1,163
Thanked 834 Times in 288 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
About microns the total amount of clear coat over pink coat. If you exceed near sides on bottom paint might break.

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
__________________
Trap63 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
it sucks to be broke, sti omg!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB: Parts for my FR-S hyperpunx Interior Parts (Incl. Lighting) 1 03-05-2013 05:28 PM
[Group Deals] SoCal Subaru BRZ parts or Any Parts Giccin Southern California 25 08-26-2012 10:30 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.