follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 04-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #4145
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The sound is from the vvt timing, the stock tune has some noise there while any tune for EL headers will have more. It resonates in the exhaust so some piping makes it worse.

I had it with the nameless opfp combo and it is more pronounced now and goes all the way to redline. If you cruise in that rpm it goes away, only under load or decel.

My plan is to coat the dp with the thin cheap local coating and wrap both header and dp (op/fp) once I can be sure I won't over tighten the wrap. (coating for corrosion resistance)
mad_sb (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #4146
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
i thought the metallic sound was the VVT angle change from the OFT/flash as it was obvious before the header installation.

Now the header just amplifies that sound.

There are a few threads on this metallic sound already, all started before the nameless header came out

Is everyone who can hear the metallic sound running a tune?
I have had the 3600 rpm metalic noice for a long while, can reduce it by pulling back on the intake cam advance but hat hurts power so i just live with it. I has been there since i started tuning way back when i was stock and everyone but me (seemingly anyway) was using off the shelf ecutec tunes.

All the changes along the way have added to the volume of the sound, intake mods, exhaust mods, and yes header as well, not even the nameless header as i have yet to install mine.

You will get a different sound if the pipes are just barely touching the the sway or sub-frame under load.

As for the exhaust leak everyone is having trouble with at the header to front pipe connection.. that is always a problematic connection, short of using a 3 bolt flange, i think the best bet is to make sure the over pipe is bolted to the header before anything else and use a thick / double gasket or a single gasket with a little ultra copper.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:16 AM   #4147
Slip Angle

Drives: Devolving WR Blue 6 Spd BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
i thought the metallic sound was the VVT angle change from the OFT/flash as it was obvious before the header installation.

Now the header just amplifies that sound.

There are a few threads on this metallic sound already, all started before the nameless header came out

Is everyone who can hear the metallic sound running a tune?
I am getting the metallic sound from 3500 rpm up as described since adding the header. It sounds like it's resonating from the rear of the car from the mufflers? I DON'T have an ecu tune but do have nameless high flow cat and 5" mufflers. Header certainly added torque and will be great on track but what was a nice sounding exhaust is now really unpleasant and exceedingly loud.

Anyone know if putting the stock mufflers back on but keeping the header and high flow cat might make the sound more tolerable without losing the nice power gained by the header??Thnx
Slip Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #4148
Slip Angle

We fabricated an aluminum heat shield to protect the stock intake and to keep intake air temps down for track day use. Put gold heat reflective tape underneath it and welded a simple bracket that screwed easily into a conveniently located factory screw hole. It seems to be working well so far but can't really tell on the street. I have already had oil temperature issues on track and probably need to add an oil cooler as well.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Slip Angle For This Useful Post:
BatStig (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #4149
Slip Angle

More pics
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #4150
Slip Angle

Another pic with intake back in place
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2014, 01:00 AM   #4151
verts

Drives: '13 6MT Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That heat shield looks awesome! Going to have to try something like that!

Did my install tonight, header flanges to head seemed fine with grimmspeed gaskets. Header to op (2.5" nameless op/dp) used a 3" and 2.5" gasket and snugged it up.

Op is reaaallly close to the head. Still gotta bolt up the midpipe brace so hoping i can pull it away a bit.

Wouldnt suggest doing it on jackstands. Defs doable, just a huge pain in the ass.

Edit: just started it up and damn its awesome. Not for those looking for quiet setups though haha!

Last edited by verts; 04-05-2014 at 02:10 AM.
verts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #4152
StormTrooper

Drives: Pavement MT GR86
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Angle View Post
I am getting the metallic sound from 3500 rpm up as described since adding the header. It sounds like it's resonating from the rear of the car from the mufflers? I DON'T have an ecu tune but do have nameless high flow cat and 5" mufflers. Header certainly added torque and will be great on track but what was a nice sounding exhaust is now really unpleasant and exceedingly loud.

Anyone know if putting the stock mufflers back on but keeping the header and high flow cat might make the sound more tolerable without losing the nice power gained by the header??Thnx

I can tell you that with the stock exhaust it sounds fine from outside but I think it makes the vvt resonance worse.

Cruising it's dead quiet, when you get on it the noise while not loud is well tinny.
I'm going to try heat wrap and see it it helps any.

I was hoping the nameless exhaust would just be loud but not have that cheap civic noise.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #4153
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
I can tell you that with the stock exhaust it sounds fine from outside but I think it makes the vvt resonance worse.

Cruising it's dead quiet, when you get on it the noise while not loud is well tinny.

I was hoping the nameless exhaust would just be loud but not have that cheap civic noise.
This is my experience as well on the stock exhaust. Best sound I've had from the headers so far is with a straight pipe, but that puts me straight into "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU JUST SAY?!?" levels of loud.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #4154
Slip Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post

Thanks, what you said is spot on. Too loud or too quiet is certainly subjective but the stereotypical civic "fart can" sound is hard to live with. That said, the header really is a solid product with nice torque gains by seat of the pants. My neighbors may not appreciate it as much as I do. LOL
Old 04-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #4155
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Angle View Post
We fabricated an aluminum heat shield to protect the stock intake and to keep intake air temps down for track day use. Put gold heat reflective tape underneath it and welded a simple bracket that screwed easily into a conveniently located factory screw hole. It seems to be working well so far but can't really tell on the street. I have already had oil temperature issues on track and probably need to add an oil cooler as well.
are you going to be making these available for purchase?
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #4156
mad_sb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
I have had the 3600 rpm metalic noice for a long while, can reduce it by pulling back on the intake cam advance but hat hurts power so i just live with it. I has been there since i started tuning way back when i was stock and everyone but me (seemingly anyway) was using off the shelf ecutec tunes.

All the changes along the way have added to the volume of the sound, intake mods, exhaust mods, and yes header as well, not even the nameless header as i have yet to install mine.

You will get a different sound if the pipes are just barely touching the the sway or sub-frame under load.

As for the exhaust leak everyone is having trouble with at the header to front pipe connection.. that is always a problematic connection, short of using a 3 bolt flange, i think the best bet is to make sure the over pipe is bolted to the header before anything else and use a thick / double gasket or a single gasket with a little ultra copper.
So I followed my own installation advice and got a leak free seal at the front pipe but a nice leak at the block lol.

On my fa20club header i got it to seal to the block by tighhtening the 2 inside nuts first then criss cross tightening the outer 2 on each side. Tried the same with the nameless and new subaru multi layer metal gaskets.... I think the double gasket trick might be needed on the block side. I'm going to loosen them all up this am and re torque evenly and see if i can get it to seal.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #4157
mad_sb

Found one potential source of the metalic ringing noise

So, I went out this AM to loosen and re torque the header to manifold nuts. I gave everything a good looking over and noticed it was not leaking at the block like I thought it was, turns out the clearance to the driver side subframe and motor mount heat shield is VERY tight.

I snapped a couple pictures of it before attempting to adjust the fitment. The passenger side has about double the clearance. I'm fairly sure this is the source of the metalic ringing under throttle that I am getting.

The Fa20club header apparently had this same fitment issue on the passenger side mount heatshield as you could visibly see the wear marks on that side. I could hear it more when next to a wall on the right side of the car with the fa20club unit and more when next to an object on the left with the nameless.

I adjusted fitment as much as possible (not much at all)and stuffed some header wrap between in the gap on the driver side. If that does not fix the problem i am going to double gasket the block using the oem style gaskets and modify the heat shield (not the good multi-layer ones) to buy a tiny bit of clearance.

You may notice i have megan mounts, but this was an issue prior to the megans as well with the old header.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #4158
choi0706

Drives: t
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm thinking I've got a leak at the flange between the overpipe and header.. Testing with smoke.. It does seem less than ideal using a 2.5" overpipe..
choi0706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag