follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Neurytic

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ISSUE: 1900-2000 RPM Shutter/Shaking (Free load)

The issue I found is that right around 1950 RPMs on a free load, my car shutters/shakes somewhat violently.

I've placed 3k miles on this vehicle and have had the infamous Idle dip a few times in its 3k life BUT i never got a CEL. It didn't matter if the engine was warm or cold, as I've tested today and yesterday. I started testing this because while on my trip to Vegas this weekend, I noticed some strange shutters in the parking lots not related to Idle.

Can anyone else who has the Idle issue (or even someone without) check to see if this occurs? Just start your engine and gently bring it up to 2000 RPMs in neutral. Let me know if you notice some violent and constant shaking right before the 2K RPM range, please!

I will have to take it in to the dealer this week and update this post. I will also call Scion HQ if this is occurring for others.

Also, I have a MT. Anyone with an AT want to check this too?
Neurytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
hav0c

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited (AT)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AT. Shudders pretty good between 1700-1800. I was assuming it's some kind of resonance thing where the rest of the car sympathetic vibrates at that frequency.

No idle dip so far though.
hav0c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hav0c For This Useful Post:
Neurytic (08-29-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
hyper4mance

Drives: 13 BRZ, 97 e36 M3 Rides: '07 600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I have a shudder/wobble when I start moving from a stop and have the wheel turned a bit. It feels like its from the rear starting in 1st gear ~1500 rpm. I;ll be bringing it in Friday to check this out and a few other problems like the popping/ticking sound in the rear deck and a few other things.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I keep reading these similar threads and can't help but wonder what kind of vehicles you folks drove prior to this, or specifically have you ever driven a tiny 4 cylinder?

Every car I've owned over the past 20 years has been a little 4 banger Honda, from 1.6 liters then to a 2 liter. All of them had one thing in common, you didn't drive them below 2000rpm. If you did, not only did you get practically nil acceleration, but it it made the transmission unhappy and you could sort of hear it, and feel it.

I just read a thread last night about someone asking if 3000rpm was too high for 5th gear at 50mph. First thing I thought of was all of my cars having similar gearing as that didn't sound like an improper speed/gear/rpm at all. In fact, my current car(RSX-S) is at 2800rpm 5th/50, again suggesting to me that the BRZ and FR-S are very similar in gearing and most likely have to be driven the same.

These small engines don't like low rpm's is what I'm saying. If you came from a V8 to this, then that explains all these threads.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fistpoint For This Useful Post:
industrial (09-05-2012), SWAMechFRS (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm finding myself at 5000 revs in 5th all too often!
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
avholic

Drives: BRZ WRBL6MT
@Neurytic: I tried it today, from idle to 3K rpm while parked at neutral. No shakes or shudders. I have MT, occassional idle dip, but never had CEL.

@fistpoint: I drive my BRZ below 2K rpm while cruising (at 6th) on a 45 MPH speed limit road or even at low speed (on 2nd/3rd) while gliding thru traffic. It doesn't upset the car as long as I accelerate slowly although I downshift asap when I need to change lane or catch up with the car in front of me quickly. It's all about finesse and anticipation. And I came from (and still have) my 3.0 liter I-6 twin-turbo N54B30 engine which is equally smooth at 6K and 1.2K rpm :-)
avholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
fistpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by avholic View Post
@fistpoint: I drive my BRZ below 2K rpm while cruising (at 6th) on a 45 MPH speed limit road or even at low speed (on 2nd/3rd) while gliding thru traffic. It doesn't upset the car as long as I accelerate slowly although I downshift asap when I need to change lane or catch up with the car in front of me quickly. It's all about finesse and anticipation. And I came from (and still have) my 3.0 liter I-6 twin-turbo N54B30 engine which is equally smooth at 6K and 1.2K rpm :-)
Yea, all of mine could be driven low too, but it isn't optimal. As for your I-6, that reinforces my point that more cylinders = lower rpm drive-ability. All I know is that if/when I eventually get one of these cars I have already determined I'll be driving it nearly identically to how I am now, and that is avoiding 2000rpm. I get better mileage at 2500-3000 actually.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
avholic

Drives: BRZ WRBL6MT
My E92 always gets 18.3 mpg regardless I drive it like a grandma or a bank robber.

My BRZ consistently gets 26 mpg with mostly spirited driving on the same route (mixed city/highway). Driving "spirited yet slow" had never been so much fun. I'd get a ticket if I drive that way on my E92.
avholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
Pscylo

Drives: Raven FR-S
Garage
This car shouldn't be in 6th under 65 mph lol.... 45mph is upper 3rd/low 4th in this car....5th if its not stop and go, or constant acceleration / deceleration around speed.

* My drive to work is 40 minutes at the moment... stop and go traffic, max limit is 45....my car hasn't seen 5th/6th from Mon-Fri eve in three weeks now.
Pscylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #10
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pscylo View Post
This car shouldn't be in 6th under 65 mph lol.... 45mph is upper 3rd/low 4th in this car....5th if its not stop and go, or constant acceleration / deceleration around speed.

* My drive to work is 40 minutes at the moment... stop and go traffic, max limit is 45....my car hasn't seen 5th/6th from Mon-Fri eve in three weeks now.
I'm in 6th all the time @ 45mph. I don't accelerate in 6th to 45, but if I know I will be at a steady 45 for more than a mile, I will shift to 6th and coast with the car in gear while feathering the throttle to maintain speed.

No, I don't always drive like a grandpa, but I also don't tear down every street like a hooligan. That method keeps my MPG higher to make up for all the times I do go WOT from a red light, and 80 on the highway.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
Pscylo

Drives: Raven FR-S
Garage
You callin me a hooligan? =p

4th gear just allows me to scoot in Phoenix traffic (ASU Area) bunch of people that have no clue how to drive, and feel that its always best to merge into your lane while your sitting where they want to be.
Pscylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistpoint View Post
I keep reading these similar threads and can't help but wonder what kind of vehicles you folks drove prior to this, or specifically have you ever driven a tiny 4 cylinder?

Every car I've owned over the past 20 years has been a little 4 banger Honda, from 1.6 liters then to a 2 liter. All of them had one thing in common, you didn't drive them below 2000rpm. If you did, not only did you get practically nil acceleration, but it it made the transmission unhappy and you could sort of hear it, and feel it.

I just read a thread last night about someone asking if 3000rpm was too high for 5th gear at 50mph. First thing I thought of was all of my cars having similar gearing as that didn't sound like an improper speed/gear/rpm at all. In fact, my current car(RSX-S) is at 2800rpm 5th/50, again suggesting to me that the BRZ and FR-S are very similar in gearing and most likely have to be driven the same.

These small engines don't like low rpm's is what I'm saying. If you came from a V8 to this, then that explains all these threads.

A boxer 4 is better balanced than an inline 4, This car curises in 6th at 45mph just fine.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
dear gas savers,

heres some quick trivia

what are your rpms at 45mph in sixth?

what do you think your oil pressure is at those rpms?

do you really feel confident in your driving style?

I keep my revs higher for a reason

some of you could benefit the time, effort and cost of wiring up a oil temp and oil pressure gauge

some of these posts are scary and surprising

one of the reasons I hate to buy automatics is they too throw you into 6th gear at 45mph, and ya know, its just not right

to hear that folks run their 6MT this way makes me shudder
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #14
fistpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
A boxer 4 is better balanced than an inline 4, This car curises in 6th at 45mph just fine.
I'm confused, what does engine balance have to do with gearing?

Tags
idle, issue, shaking, shutter