follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
brosifSmith

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Engine idle dips extremely low on stop, possible electrical issues

I have looked into the 'idle hunt' issue a lot, and am aware of the tsb regarding this, as well as general issues involving bad idling.

However due to my specific circumstances I think I may have an issue more than what a reflash would fix. (although I am going to try that).

I had issues with my used 2015 BRZ when I had just bought it, it wouldn't start sometimes. and one day, it was dead and would not start even after messing with the battery, fuses, etc.

Apparently something in the starter assembly was effed up. I got warranty work done on it and they replaced the whole engine wiring harness along with the fuses, which fixed the problem.

HOWEVER, now, every time I roll to a stop, if I stay in second gear and let it shift itself to first (AT), it will dip really low, 400-500 rpms and then recover back to 700-800.

This happens if I shift down to 1st as well when coming to a stop but not as much.

Furthermore, I have seen multiple times that while this rather severe idle dip is happening, the DRL's will shut off for a split second at the very lowest point, then turn on once it recovers.
(I've only seen this when I pull up to a gas station or somewhere that has big glass windows and I can see the front of the car from the reflection), They only turn off for about 1/2 a second.

It has never died on me. Can anyone speculate what this problem is indicative of?
My car actually idles extremely well when just sitting, or any other time than when it is coming to a stop.
brosifSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosifSmith View Post
I have looked into the 'idle hunt' issue a lot, and am aware of the tsb regarding this, as well as general issues involving bad idling.

However due to my specific circumstances I think I may have an issue more than what a reflash would fix. (although I am going to try that).

I had issues with my used 2015 BRZ when I had just bought it, it wouldn't start sometimes. and one day, it was dead and would not start even after messing with the battery, fuses, etc.

Apparently something in the starter assembly was effed up. I got warranty work done on it and they replaced the whole engine wiring harness along with the fuses, which fixed the problem.

HOWEVER, now, every time I roll to a stop, if I stay in second gear and let it shift itself to first (AT), it will dip really low, 400-500 rpms and then recover back to 700-800.

This happens if I shift down to 1st as well when coming to a stop but not as much.

Furthermore, I have seen multiple times that while this rather severe idle dip is happening, the DRL's will shut off for a split second at the very lowest point, then turn on once it recovers.
(I've only seen this when I pull up to a gas station or somewhere that has big glass windows and I can see the front of the car from the reflection), They only turn off for about 1/2 a second.

It has never died on me. Can anyone speculate what this problem is indicative of?
My car actually idles extremely well when just sitting, or any other time than when it is coming to a stop.
Hello brosifSmith and welcome to …...The Forum …….

So, …….. is there a problem ……??

I think maybe you are looking for something to call a problem …..

However, if it bothers you …… I suggest you follow through on your strategy for the AT reflash, that just may make you feel better......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
There is a TSB for the 2015 AT idle drop. It is a simple reflash of the TCM. Just take it into the dealer and point out the attached document and they should fix you right up.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1486956417
wbradley (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
this part seems pretty normal to me, it sounds like your RPMs are too low so the trans is rev matching into 1st. I imagine you are in manual mode when this happens? Do you experience any idle issues if you force the trans to go into 1st before the RPMs dip below 1 K?
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
brosifSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
this part seems pretty normal to me, it sounds like your RPMs are too low so the trans is rev matching into 1st. I imagine you are in manual mode when this happens? Do you experience any idle issues if you force the trans to go into 1st before the RPMs dip below 1 K?
Yes and yes. It still happens when I shift down to first. I would assume the TSB would fix it except it's weird that it doesn't happen during actual idle. Only when coming to a stop. even right after coming to a stop and it dips low then comes back up it idles fine after that. I'm just worried it will get to the point where it starts to die when I come to a stop.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
brosifSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There is a TSB for the 2015 AT idle drop. It is a simple reflash of the TCM. Just take it into the dealer and point out the attached document and they should fix you right up.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1486956417
Thanks for the link. I was having a hard time finding the TSB for autos
Old 05-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #7
carlovestela

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FRS
This always happen to me. At full stop. My rpm will go down to 500-600. Then itll be up to 800-900. You will hear it clearly if you have an exhaust.
I think the TSB is all about when youre in P or N and its fluctuating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
carlovestela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
brosifSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlovestela View Post
This always happen to me. At full stop. My rpm will go down to 500-600. Then itll be up to 800-900. You will hear it clearly if you have an exhaust.
I think the TSB is all about when youre in P or N and its fluctuating.
That's what I'm thinking, but I have a feeling that it would still have an effect on my issue. It's at least worth a try because it bothers me...
Old 05-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #9
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Mine's been doing this since day 1 when I first bought it in 2013. Idles fine, no RPM hunting or fluctuation. Just dips low when stopping and the DRLs will flicker. Figured it was normal and as long as it didn't stall, no biggie.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #10
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
Mine's been doing this since day 1 when I first bought it in 2013. Idles fine, no RPM hunting or fluctuation. Just dips low when stopping and the DRLs will flicker. Figured it was normal and as long as it didn't stall, no biggie.
Same here since day 1 (manual transmission)

Not only does the idle dip when stopping, but it continues to fluctuate/dip while I'm stopped (in neutral of course). Sometimes it dips low enough to flicker the DRLs, sometimes it doesn't.

I just ignore it. It hasn't left me stranded on the side of the road, that's all that matters.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #11
carlovestela

Drives: 2015 Firestorm FRS
Yeah. Go to dealer. Its free anyway. Then tell us what they did.

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking, but I have a feeling that it would still have an effect on my issue. It's at least worth a try because it bothers me...
carlovestela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #12
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Me too with auto. Get a dip since day one 6 years ago in my 2013, especially if I come to a rapid stop. Has never stalled.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #13
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I experience the same flickering on my 10 series LED DRLs. I've tried to fix it by replacing my battery but that didn't seem to do it. Never stalled though. Sometimes mines flicker off and on twice when I come to a stop.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drl, electrical, electrical issues, idle, idle dip