follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2017, 12:58 AM   #1
Hagfish

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Backup cam - tapped into reverse at the bulb

Hi all- sorry if a similar post/question exists, but I was unable to find the answer searching through the posts, as most or all of the cam installs seem to involve wiring into the front panel under the steering wheel and/or using an upgraded head unit with a screen.. I went the cheaper route and bought an autovox m1 with a separate LCD screen mounted on my dash (only 30 bucks!).. Anyways, I'm just looking for you smarter folks to hopefully tell me that I got my wiring right..

The power for the camera has the standard +- red and black wire. The wires from the FRS going into the reverse bulb fixture are green and dark grey (not quite black).. I went ahead and tapped black into dark grey and red with the green wire.. It's all working so I think I'm good to go, but I just wanted to make sure I got it right and won't be doing any damage to the battery or anything if I have it reversed.. Would it even be working if I reversed it? Again, sorry if this has been covered- and thanks for any input!
Hagfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #2
fx1mark

Drives: red 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagfish View Post
Hi all- sorry if a similar post/question exists, but I was unable to find the answer searching through the posts, as most or all of the cam installs seem to involve wiring into the front panel under the steering wheel and/or using an upgraded head unit with a screen.. I went the cheaper route and bought an autovox m1 with a separate LCD screen mounted on my dash (only 30 bucks!).. Anyways, I'm just looking for you smarter folks to hopefully tell me that I got my wiring right..

The power for the camera has the standard +- red and black wire. The wires from the FRS going into the reverse bulb fixture are green and dark grey (not quite black).. I went ahead and tapped black into dark grey and red with the green wire.. It's all working so I think I'm good to go, but I just wanted to make sure I got it right and won't be doing any damage to the battery or anything if I have it reversed.. Would it even be working if I reversed it? Again, sorry if this has been covered- and thanks for any input!
no, it wouldn't work if the wires were reversed.
fx1mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fx1mark For This Useful Post:
Hagfish (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
Hagfish

Thank you for the response- I figured that would be the case, but I haven't done a whole lot of wiring and was worried I'd screw something up if I guessed wrong.. Oddly, through all the searching and downloading of wiring diagrams, etc- I was never able to find any info or documents on the green\grey wires to the reverse bulbs.. Thanks again!
Old 08-24-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
fx1mark

Quote:
Thank you for the response- I figured that would be the case, but I haven't done a whole lot of wiring and was worried I'd screw something up if I guessed wrong.. Oddly, through all the searching and downloading of wiring diagrams, etc- I was never able to find any info or documents on the green\grey wires to the reverse bulbs.. Thanks again!
you should use a multimeter and confirm positive and negative before connecting to make sure you don't damage anything by hooking them up backwards.
The Following User Says Thank You to fx1mark For This Useful Post:
Hagfish (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
Hagfish

You saying I still should? Or I should have before I started? I thought about it, but for those of you who haven't done it, it's a real b*** tapping into that reverse light- even with partially removing the fender..
Old 08-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #6
BRZyJ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 2015 Q50S
Garage
Quote:
I thought about it, but for those of you who haven't done it, it's a real b*** tapping into that reverse light- even with partially removing the fender..
I just jammed the camera's red wire into the light harness, no splicing, tape or anything. It might work its way out eventually, but its been working for 9+ months. I seem to remember using an existing ground in same general area too. Not the most elegant solution, but you can indeed put in a camera without touching the factory wires or messing with the fender.
BRZyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
fx1mark

Quote:
You saying I still should? Or I should have before I started? I thought about it, but for those of you who haven't done it, it's a real b*** tapping into that reverse light- even with partially removing the fender..

I meant before you started and if you ever do any kind of wire modification on your car. you took a chance by hooking it up without testing. I've installed a backup camera on my car. I don't know what you mean by removing the fender. I tapped into the reverse wire near the drivers left foot.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #8
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,755 Times in 928 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Did you know the reverse light plugs into the main wiring harness just below the trunk latch inside the trunk? Very easy to access the wiring there...
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 04:34 AM   #9
Hagfish

Yea I started realizing/thinking as the fender was laying on my garage floor- there's gotta be an easier way.. But- all of the youtube videos I had watched about installing one of these backup cams, people were tapping into the wire directly at the reverse bulb.. Lucky for them, the bulb is usually accessible right from the trunk!! Not so much with the FRS. Anyways, it was a process but I did get it done..

To answer you nextcar-- unfortunately I did not realize that and OMG it would have been so much easier, but I still don't know where I would have found that info unless I just didn't search hard enough.. Like I said, every post I found seemed to be about people going into the box under the steering wheel, which with my kit, I'm not sure would have worked.. Now that you mention this though, I'm considering rewiring it!
Old 12-23-2021, 01:18 PM   #10
nripinbabu@gmail.com

Drives: brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
Did you know the reverse light plugs into the main wiring harness just below the trunk latch inside the trunk? Very easy to access the wiring there...
Can you please share any photo to show the wire color ?
nripinbabu@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote