follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2019, 10:22 PM   #1
V9Rs

Drives: BRZ & M2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Damp patch on transmission case

Hi guys,

New Automatic BRZ owner here.

Just checking in to see if you guys think the damp patch on the transmission case is a cause of concern? (pic taken from engine bay)

Car drives well and shifts fine.
Been told it is from the breather tube of gearbox.

Thanks guys!
V9Rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
toyfighter

Drives: almost stock brz 2012 made
if the fluid is outside, then somewhere inside you got less of it)
just to be sure that everything is ok check your engine and trasmission oil level.
but for me this looks like an old dirt
toyfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #3
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
That tube clamped to the case is the breather tube. If it's brand new and it bothers you - it would bother me - take it in to have them replace whatever seal is leaking. I'll guess it's the o-ring seal where the breather tube attaches to the housing.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #4
V9Rs

Drives: BRZ & M2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
That tube clamped to the case is the breather tube. If it's brand new and it bothers you - it would bother me - take it in to have them replace whatever seal is leaking. I'll guess it's the o-ring seal where the breather tube attaches to the housing.

Hi Ultra,

It is 5 years old 😅

Been told by mechanic not to worry about it due to typical breather venting out.
V9Rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:26 PM   #5
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by V9Rs View Post
Hi Ultra,

It is 5 years old 😅
Oh, new to you. I'd be worried if it was clean.

Send it.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:33 AM   #6
CIH_Nut

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thank you for accepting me on your forum. My daughter has just recently purchased a 2015 FRS and it has this same wet patch on the top of the transmission. Can anyone explain how to keep an eye on the automatic transmission fluid until she gets it serviced (fluid change). The proceedure looks a bit complicated so I think taking it in to the Subaru or Toyota dealer is the safest bet. I’m a bit confused reading the service manual https://gt86stuff.onrender.com/t3Por..._rm_index.html

If you’re just checking fluid level is the overflow plug supposed to be removed while the car is idling? Or can you just check the level when it’s hot with the car off? All other automatic transmissions are checked with the motor running but I’m afraid to remove the overflow plug while things are in motion. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Thank you in advance this looks like a great forum!!!
CIH_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #7
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
if it's just barely around the plug, it's likely nothing to worry about.

i wouldn't worry about the fluid level until the car's leaving a mark wherever it parks..
alphasaur (08-29-2021), Ultramaroon (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 11:55 AM   #8
CIH_Nut

Thank you for the reply. I’m encouraging my daughter to join up here. A little about myself I’m a member of the Opel GT forum and still own a 1972 GT hence the nickname (cam in head)CIH_nut. I’m familiar with how very helpful people can be who are active on the forums and I try to help out too whenever I can. As far as any shifting issues it’s fine in drive but there’s two sport modes? It has very rugged spots between gears there so I encourage her to avoid using it since it seems useless anyway, the fun where you can run it in the upper 45-5500 range is found in manual mode to get past the lack luster 3500 rpm spot.

The PO also had the suspension dropped a bit too far for our liking which brings about the excessive negative camber especially in the rear. She also has the small oil leak at the timing chain cover, we’ve been reading this is common. That looks like a job that I’m in no rush to get into so we’re keeping an eye on the oil level, so far no visible loss after 1,000 miles.

Do any of you other folks get this jerky shifting on this transmission in sport mode? That would be my only concern with the fluid level. Since the last transmission fluid change is unknown I’m encouraging her to get that done (it has 117,000 miles on it), then she’ll have a fresh start and as you mentioned it’ll be easier to keep an eye on the leak and also give it a fresh start. I’ll call the dealer Monday and get the pricing estimate. It’s been routeenly service by the PO by the Toyota dealer and spent it’s life in the California desert, it seems to have been well taken care of except there’s a bent passenger side rocker panel where it looks like it’s been parked onto a large rock. I’ll try to post a picture of the car soon. Again thanks for your help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CIH_Nut For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (08-29-2021), bcj (09-01-2021), Ultramaroon (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #9
soundman98

very generally speaking, unless the vehicle has service records at the dealer, or were given with the vehicle, once a car hits 100k mi(which has been 3 of my last 6 vehicles), i assume that the PO didn't do maintenance at all, and will update all the fluids and at least test/inspect mechanical components so i can ensure that my ownership experience isn't hampered by their inability to maintain what they had.

the rear camber on these cars is set very extreme from the factory-- i don't like it on my stock vehicle, or the exacerbated tire wear it produces. but the only real way to correct it is to add aftermarket adjustable components.
Ultramaroon (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #10
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIH_Nut View Post
Thank you for the reply. I’m encouraging my daughter to join up here. A little about myself I’m a member of the Opel GT forum and still own a 1972 GT hence the nickname (cam in head)CIH_nut. I’m familiar with how very helpful people can be who are active on the forums and I try to help out too whenever I can. As far as any shifting issues it’s fine in drive but there’s two sport modes? It has very rugged spots between gears there so I encourage her to avoid using it since it seems useless anyway, the fun where you can run it in the upper 45-5500 range is found in manual mode to get past the lack luster 3500 rpm spot.

The PO also had the suspension dropped a bit too far for our liking which brings about the excessive negative camber especially in the rear. She also has the small oil leak at the timing chain cover, we’ve been reading this is common. That looks like a job that I’m in no rush to get into so we’re keeping an eye on the oil level, so far no visible loss after 1,000 miles.

Do any of you other folks get this jerky shifting on this transmission in sport mode? That would be my only concern with the fluid level. Since the last transmission fluid change is unknown I’m encouraging her to get that done (it has 117,000 miles on it), then she’ll have a fresh start and as you mentioned it’ll be easier to keep an eye on the leak and also give it a fresh start. I’ll call the dealer Monday and get the pricing estimate. It’s been routeenly service by the PO by the Toyota dealer and spent it’s life in the California desert, it seems to have been well taken care of except there’s a bent passenger side rocker panel where it looks like it’s been parked onto a large rock. I’ll try to post a picture of the car soon. Again thanks for your help.
I would consider servicing at subaru as their techs are likely more familiar with the platform and you're out of warranty anyway.
Ultramaroon (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 03:09 PM   #11
Daily86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
There is only one sport mode. The two middle buttons are for the automatic transmission, Sport and Snow. Yes, manual mode is the way to go. Here is a link to fluid change https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=3183471
Daily86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:38 PM   #12
CIH_Nut

Thank you for the link. I just don’t have the ability to get it up in the air on all 4’s safely 🙉. It’s so low to the ground. I have a manual in my GT every automatic we’ve owned I usually take in to get the old flushed out and fresh fluid in.
I did get a little more assertive today and got the front up in the air. Here’s a couple of pictures.

It doesn’t look bad at all it seems like whatever escapes dries up before it can make it’s way underneath, even the sides look clean. After glancing at the post I see the one member had them replace an o’ring or something while they serviced it. It’s always scary going to the dealer and risking getting sticker shock but we want to get it done right.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2021, 05:10 PM   #13
soundman98

i only bring work to mechanics that i know where they live.. i've learned over the years that a function of doing it correctly is not related to the techs location, but their personal work ethic...

it also helps that i know 3 shops in the area...
Ultramaroon (08-29-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #14
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

TX6A AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION / TRANSAXLE: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID: ADJUSTMENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIH_Nut View Post
Thank you in advance this looks like a great forum!!!
Welcome, @CIH_Nut.

Linky