follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-09-2020, 09:49 PM   #1597
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I did it (cos my states forced me to) and sold it right after... The motor didn't sound right
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #1598
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,302 Times in 993 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
I did it (cos my states forced me to) and sold it right after... The motor didn't sound right
Probably valve shims out of adjustment...
Old 12-26-2020, 11:57 PM   #1599
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
However, it should have been a voluntary recall in all 50 states. Ticking the box for "emissions related" (which makes it mandatory if you want to actually drive it on the road) and fucking over everyone in CA was a big slap in the face. In no way is it in any way an "emissions related" recall. That part is 110% bullshit and only serves to highlight the bureaucracy and horseshit that takes place in CA perpetuated by CARB.
This times a thousand. I didn't want a dealer tearing the engine half apart so I didn't do it. I paid my registration fee and just kept driving the car this year without the new tags-- figured with COVID I would probably get a pass if stopped as long as I carried the receipt for the fees in the car. But as we got to the end of the year it became inevitable. Sent the car in and it didn't even make it home from the dealer before spinning a bearing (I assume, based on the sound and partial power failure).

Obviously CARB didn't directly kill this engine, but one has to speculate with regard to how extensive the carbon footprint of the car becomes when you calculate in the environmental costs of building a whole second engine and shipping it across the Pacific ocean... So I can't run a car with an aftermarket air intake or a cat-back exhaust even though these components have zero effect on a car's emissions, but they're free to literally force me to shoot my perfectly-healthy engine in the back of the head for no reason at all. So fucking dumb.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
alxtheoreo (12-30-2020), Clipdat (12-30-2020), DarkSunrise (12-30-2020), gravitylover (12-27-2020), norcalpb (12-30-2020), Opie (12-28-2020), TommyW (05-23-2021)
Old 12-27-2020, 03:55 AM   #1600
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
This times a thousand. I didn't want a dealer tearing the engine half apart so I didn't do it. I paid my registration fee and just kept driving the car this year without the new tags-- figured with COVID I would probably get a pass if stopped as long as I carried the receipt for the fees in the car. But as we got to the end of the year it became inevitable. Sent the car in and it didn't even make it home from the dealer before spinning a bearing (I assume, based on the sound and partial power failure).

Obviously CARB didn't directly kill this engine, but one has to speculate with regard to how extensive the carbon footprint of the car becomes when you calculate in the environmental costs of building a whole second engine and shipping it across the Pacific ocean... So I can't run a car with an aftermarket air intake or a cat-back exhaust even though these components have zero effect on a car's emissions, but they're free to literally force me to shoot my perfectly-healthy engine in the back of the head for no reason at all. So fucking dumb.
Calif overall has just sooooo many idiotic rules. Hoping the Governor recall happens.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
ermax (12-27-2020), Opie (12-28-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 04:33 AM   #1601
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post

I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your car. It is insanely frustrating to hear about experiences like this, because it affects enthusiasts like us who love and cherish our cars the most profoundly.

In October 2019 I traded in my '13 FR-S that I loved and wanted to keep forever. It had 31k miles on it and had $15k+ in mods and I only got $9,500 for it - just to get something else quickly, and not deal with trying to put it back to stock since I didn't have any of the stock parts. I refused to let the recall work be done to it, however I tracked what happened to it and the recall was performed on it and now there's a new owner driving it around with almost all my mods on it still.

I'd certainly still like to be driving my old car, but I feel like it got forcibly taken away from me because of CA bureaucracy. I just didn't want to deal with the exact situation that you are now going through. But in hindsight apparently I should have gotten the recall work done and my engine "might" have been just fine afterwards. I guess I'll never know, but what I do know is that I'll always miss driving that car. I had it 100% perfect for my tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (12-30-2020), Ganthrithor (01-01-2021), norcalpb (12-30-2020), TommyW (12-30-2020), Ultramaroon (12-30-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #1602
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about what happened to your car. It is insanely frustrating to hear about experiences like this, because it affects enthusiasts like us who love and cherish our cars the most profoundly.

In October 2019 I traded in my '13 FR-S that I loved and wanted to keep forever. It had 31k miles on it and had $15k+ in mods and I only got $9,500 for it - just to get something else quickly, and not deal with trying to put it back to stock since I didn't have any of the stock parts. I refused to let the recall work be done to it, however I tracked what happened to it and the recall was performed on it and now there's a new owner driving it around with almost all my mods on it still.

I'd certainly still like to be driving my old car, but I feel like it got forcibly taken away from me because of CA bureaucracy. I just didn't want to deal with the exact situation that you are now going through. But in hindsight apparently I should have gotten the recall work done and my engine "might" have been just fine afterwards. I guess I'll never know, but what I do know is that I'll always miss driving that car. I had it 100% perfect for my tastes.
That was almost my exact situation. Well-maintained 2013 with 32k miles setup exactly the way I wanted it (few thousand in parts) that I was thinking about keeping for a lifetime. Engine was running perfectly. I decided to roll the dice with the recall because I just didn't want to trade-in the car. Did a bunch of research and found a dealership that I trusted (as far as you can trust any dealership anyway).

As soon as the recall was done, at the first opportunity I tracked it for 4+ hrs thinking if the engine was going to blow, I wanted it to happen during that initial warranty period. Luckily for me it's held up for 13 months and 8k miles.

The recall being forced on owners in CA and the lack of responsibility from Toyota/Subaru to keep their dealers in check for owners who lost their engines was a shame. Way too many 2013 owners in CA got raked over the coals on this one.

Hope you get back into a Twin soon. The 2015-2016 models have some nice reliability upgrades and the prices have fallen. The situation sucks but perhaps it's an excuse to start with a fresher model year. Or go completely wild and get a 2017 with 5 more hp

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-30-2020), Ganthrithor (01-05-2021)
Old 12-30-2020, 05:47 PM   #1603
Silvermk2

Drives: Toyota Supra 2JZGTE VVTi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
CA guys should really look at registering in that Cowboy state to avoid all this BS. Someone I know has an older Diesel tow truck they use a a personal tow vehicle. I think it only has like 30k miles on it. The state just said sell it out of state or put a new engine in it or they won't register it.
Silvermk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silvermk2 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-30-2020)
Old 03-26-2021, 03:39 PM   #1604
pasternak

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasternak View Post
Had the recall work done over the summer. Have driven the car infrequently and gently since. Just got my first CEL :/ P00B.
And after having that 'fixed' for a couple hundred $$, just had my second CEL. Still haven't even reached 70K miles. I hate this car now. Will be selling ASAP.
pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pasternak For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-26-2021)
Old 05-23-2021, 05:19 PM   #1605
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well, that's it, it's gone. I was never going to come up with the $$ to get an engine into mine before it sat too long so I unloaded it. I hope what I got was a fair amount for a non runner that sat for 10 months. I'm going to miss that car
Old 05-23-2021, 06:57 PM   #1606
Limitless_BRZ

Drives: Crystal White BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Well, that's it, it's gone. I was never going to come up with the $$ to get an engine into mine before it sat too long so I unloaded it. I hope what I got was a fair amount for a non runner that sat for 10 months. I'm going to miss that car

Im still holding onto my 2013 FRS shell with 33k miles on it, since 2015..
Old 05-23-2021, 10:47 PM   #1607
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Glad you were able to get rid of the shell and move on! Was always bummed to hear about your situation.

I just clicked past 12k post-recall miles on mine today and I still think about what I would have done had it not been done properly.

Hope you have better luck with whatever car you get next.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #1608
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #1609
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto.
Secret secret he's got a secret
Ultramaroon (05-26-2021)
Old 06-06-2021, 08:45 PM   #1610
Sur

Drives: GEN-1-86-MT-FI / 2022 KTM RC 390
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just got my FR-S. Thinking I will not do the recall as it hasn’t been performed by previous owner. Any thoughts?
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue