follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-08-2015, 04:05 AM   #2955
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Li View Post
Can someone do me a favor and get a video of your engine idling after a good warmup? My rotrex is a whole lot louder than it was when I first had the kit on for a few hundred miles.

This is mine idling at the moment. It's a bit concerning.
Sounds exactly how mine did after less than 3k miles.
My fluid level was perfect going by the guidelines on how to check it per the manual.
JR tech told me "Your video sounds normal, just with the air filter/impeller noise being reflected. If your supercharger internal drive is truly getting extremely loud, it is starving for oil. If your oil level is correct and there are no leaks, you are fine. Your air filter has probably dirtied over time causing more restriction and the increase in impeller/filter noise".

I had my doubts about it being the filter, but bought a new one and it still has the same exact noise.
I didn't want to be out the $375 evaluation cost+car downtime if it truly was normal sounding according to the tech, so I never sent mine in.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:27 AM   #2956
dkstylezz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Sounds exactly how mine did after less than 3k miles.
My fluid level was perfect going by the guidelines on how to check it per the manual.
JR tech told me "Your video sounds normal, just with the air filter/impeller noise being reflected. If your supercharger internal drive is truly getting extremely loud, it is starving for oil. If your oil level is correct and there are no leaks, you are fine. Your air filter has probably dirtied over time causing more restriction and the increase in impeller/filter noise".

I had my doubts about it being the filter, but bought a new one and it still has the same exact noise.
I didn't want to be out the $375 evaluation cost+car downtime if it truly was normal sounding according to the tech, so I never sent mine in.
My noise went away with the new unit and till this day it's quiet. Maybe a little louder but nothing as close as what the first unite sounded like. It was ear piercing and hard to stand next to my car with the hood open. Something was wrong. In my case that is.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
dkstylezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:49 AM   #2957
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstylezz View Post
My noise went away with the new unit and till this day it's quiet. Maybe a little louder but nothing as close as what the first unite sounded like. It was ear piercing and hard to stand next to my car with the hood open. Something was wrong. In my case that is.....

That's pretty much how mine was as well.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:57 PM   #2958
Xiao Li

Drives: '14 BRZ, '01 S2K
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstylezz View Post

Did they cover it under the warranty? Ever find out what actually happened or was causing the noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
That's pretty much how mine was as well.
How long have you driven since then? Any noticable decrease or increase in the noise?

I was told by JR tech as well about the dirty filter, which I had cleaned and re-oil a few weeks ago so I doubt it was that. As for the rotrex oil, I'm pretty confident that I primed and kept levels good. The thing is I used up the entire liter of the stuff. No leaks from what I can see checking all the lines and connections.
Xiao Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #2959
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Can someone do me a favor and get a video of your engine idling after a good warmup? My rotrex is a whole lot louder than it was when I first had the kit on for a few hundred miles.

This is mine idling at the moment. It's a bit concerning.
Not an expert nor do I have the kit, but that sounds like you might have some air in the oil system. I would try to purge/re-prime the rotrex system and maybe see if bubbles come out in the traction fluid reservoir.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #2960
Sirsimon

Drives: 2021 GR Supra A91 Edition
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Hey fellow JRSC owners -

Looking for what you guys are running for injectors, fuel pump, and clutch if you've gone flex fuel. Back in the day I had a 400+whp Spec.B with an ACT clutch and XD pressure plate. I'd like to avoid the heavy clutch pedal effort that guy had if possible. Thanks for your suggestions.

DJ
Sirsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #2961
dkstylezz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Did they cover it under the warranty? Ever find out what actually happened or was causing the noise?

How long have you driven since then? Any noticable decrease or increase in the noise?

I was told by JR tech as well about the dirty filter, which I had cleaned and re-oil a few weeks ago so I doubt it was that. As for the rotrex oil, I'm pretty confident that I primed and kept levels good. The thing is I used up the entire liter of the stuff. No leaks from what I can see checking all the lines and connections.
It was replaced under warranty took about 6 days. I was never told what caused the problem. Jackson racing was easy to work with.

dkstylezz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dkstylezz For This Useful Post:
Jmonty (10-10-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #2962
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsimon View Post
Hey fellow JRSC owners -

Looking for what you guys are running for injectors, fuel pump, and clutch if you've gone flex fuel. Back in the day I had a 400+whp Spec.B with an ACT clutch and XD pressure plate. I'd like to avoid the heavy clutch pedal effort that guy had if possible. Thanks for your suggestions.

DJ
ACT.

Barely an increase over stock; nothing like the EJ clutches

Most people that feel the clutch in our car think it is stock.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Sirsimon (10-09-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #2963
Rookie84

Drives: '02 GS300, '12 S80 T5, '15 BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
ACT.

Barely an increase over stock; nothing like the EJ clutches

Most people that feel the clutch in our car think it is stock.
Mike, are you using HDSS or XTSS? Do you also recommend their flywheel? If yes, Streelite or Prolite?
Rookie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:26 PM   #2964
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie84 View Post
Mike, are you using HDSS or XTSS? Do you also recommend their flywheel? If yes, Streelite or Prolite?
The flywheel is mandatory to use an ACT clutch with this platform. Have you used a lightweight flywheel before? If not, the Streetlite is the safe choice.

CSG uses the XTSS, and the pedal is lighter than the HDSS on my S2k.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Rookie84 (10-09-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 11:56 PM   #2965
twag4

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
@CSG Mike is there a recommended spark plug for the JRSC, or is stock fine?
twag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #2966
DaiTT500

Drives:
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Stock is fine but it may also be up to your tuner.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:34 PM   #2967
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by twag4 View Post
@CSG Mike is there a recommended spark plug for the JRSC, or is stock fine?
Stock works unless you have dramatic increases beyond what CARB trim offers.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:33 AM   #2968
viktorv

Drives: 2013 White FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So after reading all 135 pages (including the pseudo-physics debate and several derailments...) I will be seriously considering this kit in the next few months. Currently I am running P&L's catted header, OP, catless FP, and catback. The volume is borderline too much for me, since I am new to the rice fields. As such, I am weighing going back to stock and get the CARB tune. I have a few questions that I'd appreciate answers to:

1. Since exhaust volume depends (at least partially) on load and rpm, does that mean the increased throughput will lead to much more noise?

2. I know dynos are relative so only % increases mean anything. So lets consider numbers adjusted to a dyno that runs a 160whp baseline. How much power should I expect from CARB + stock exhaust compared to a wizard-level (Church/MotoMike?) tune with my current exhaust setup? I'll assume Delicious is CARB + ~10hp. In case it matters, I got that sweet 93 in the good ol' midwest.

3. Does anyone recommend any midwest tuners or am I going to have to drive 11 hours to MotoEast for a top-notch tune? As I mentioned, I'm new to this and may not know if my tune is a turd or a time-bomb, so I want to go to a respected tuner.

4. Speaking of which, is there a good resource for learning how to read data and figure out what's important to watch out for? I've read a ton in these forums but when specific number ranges are mentioned, there doesn't seem to be consensus on what's "right". I just see a lot of "that AFR doesn't look right" or "the timing advance seems off". If only there was a reference table for critical variables and their respective safe operating ranges under different conditions (WOT, cruise, engine brake, etc.). And a brief description of what role each variable plays.

TL;DR: Help! I've fallen and can't pick a JRSC tune!

EDIT: Since I got a PM from someone concerned about the P&L noise level, I figured I should probably update my post because it shouldn't be discouraging from getting the kit. I'm new to aftermarket exhausts, have pretty sensitive hearing, and listen to language learning audio tapes (which require me to listen carefully) while cruising at 75mph. From the inside it's a nice deep sound. When I roll my windows down and the sound bounces off cars/curbs while accelerating, it sounds more like you'd expect from a 4cyl but not bad. Compared to other modified cars I hear, I'd say its pretty quiet. At WOT it get loud but it's a nice deep note to a newbie like me. My only issue is with language learning audio books while cruising at ~75mph, when I really want to hear the speaker's intonation. I don't think I have to turn up the radio much with music, if at all. And that's just volume. There isn't any rattling or rasping to speak of.

Last edited by viktorv; 10-15-2015 at 09:57 AM. Reason: update
viktorv is offline   Reply With Quote