follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 05-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #29
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
Drag car I'd hope???
Nope, for autocross.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:20 PM   #30
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah no I'm not worried about performance with this car as it is my daily. I just want to make sure I get the right sized tire for the 8.25" wide wheel that I want. It's the XXR 530. I would just get the 17x7 but I like the concave look of the 17x8.25 much better.

A 235/40 I'd imagine would fit the best, be nice and square, offer some rim protection, and throw off the speedo the least amount. Problem is I can only find summer tires in that size.

I'd rather a 225/45 because there are hundreds of options but I really don't want the tire to be stretched at all.
225 summer extreme tires will show the least amount of "stretch". A 225 tire will safely accommodate 7-8.5". Personally, I don't believe that's stretched.

I think @CSG Mike ran 225 with 9" wheels before. I think there are pics floating around somewhere.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
STV3 (05-30-2014)
Old 05-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #31
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Nope, for autocross.
Wow! Sounds like a good way to pop a tire off the bead...
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #32
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wow! Sounds like a good way to pop a tire off the bead...

nope again

as reliable as anything else

so again, do not worry about getting the "mechanically perfect fit" and just go with what you need to accomplish.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:30 PM   #33
STV3
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
nope again

as reliable as anything else

so again, do not worry about getting the "mechanically perfect fit" and just go with what you need to accomplish.
Well this looks like a decent tire for what I'm looking for.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Concerns me a little as to how low in price they are though.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #34
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well this looks like a decent tire for what I'm looking for.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Concerns me a little as to how low in price they are though.

heh..

to me this is "just a tire", buy it to drive from point a to point b, and keep your right foot under control.

price could reflect an older build date or maybe just warehouse clearing
Old 05-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #35
STV3
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
heh..

to me this is "just a tire", buy it to drive from point a to point b, and keep your right foot under control.

price could reflect an older build date or maybe just warehouse clearing
Well it is just my fun daily that I like to take on some curvy roads once in a while. Looking at the surveys on tire rack of these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes compared to the stock tires http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ar=&tab=Survey. They look like a pretty decent all around tire and should overall perform much better than the stock crap.

I know a lot of people don't take the tire rack surveys very seriously but I've found them to be pretty helpful and accurate.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #36
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,121 Times in 518 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
I run a 235/45 on a 17x7, and I can still break it loose if I want. haven't tracked/autox on this setup yet, but its still a mass improvement over the stock setup. The ride is very smoothhh

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #37
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
225 summer extreme tires will show the least amount of "stretch". A 225 tire will safely accommodate 7-8.5". Personally, I don't believe that's stretched.

I think @CSG Mike ran 225 with 9" wheels before. I think there are pics floating around somewhere.
We have... it's not recommended but sometimes we have to just make do with what we've got...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #38
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I just got back from having some 205/45-17 Kumho Ecsta Sport LE's mounted on my 7.5 Enkei Fujin's for my daily driver set. Their tread width is wider than the stock 215/45-17 Primacy HP's but they don't have the lip protector feature like the Michelins. I'll probably stick them on the FRS tomorrow. They will have more grip than stock Michelins but less grip than the track tires I'm currently running (215/45-17 Ecsta XS on 17x8 width wheels) - which have entirely way too much grip for my taste on the street, especially since it's gotten warmer and they are sticking like glue to the road again. The Max Performance category tire compound in 205/45-17 should be what I'm looking for (more agility, quicker acceleration, less unsprung mass, excellent wet weather capability) and the full set only cost me a little over $250...

Last edited by Vracer111; 05-31-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:21 AM   #39
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Ok, so I finally got around to installing the wheel/tire set tonight and took it out for a test drive. Aired up tires to 36psi F/35psi R. Immediately noticed a difference in steering weight coming off the fully slick track compound tires...so light! From what I remember it seemed even lighter than stock - but it's been so long since I had the stock wheels on, so maybe the track tires have biased me...LOL

Second thing I immediately noticed was how much more responsive it is to throttle inputs, even though the wheel set is slightly heavier than the track set I've been daily driving for a long time, the smaller diameter really is noticeable in its acceleration (its about 1 finger width shorter in diameter), car gets up and goes much better! Also being smaller in diameter means you drop your CG as well (by half the diameter drop) - so nearly a .2" static drop in CG height as well.

Third thing I noticed, is she really wants to dance around more and have more fun...yet is much more planted than the stock Michelins. Wheels/tires are perfectly balanced (fine at triple digit speeds) though with the narrower track and actual full depth tread blocks (compared to solid surface of the worn down track tires) braking at speed is more squirrely than the set I'm coming off, nothing dangerous though - just a little more lively rear end.

All in all, everything I hoped for - absolutely the best this car has ever been in terms of responsiveness and a joy to drive...was falling in love all over again. Tires still new and breaking in, so will see how the grip improves with more mileage on them. I don't care that the speedo is off a little, can correct for that with my ScanGauge II, plus now the odo will more accurately reflect the wear I give the car... LOL

For now I love the change to 205/45-17 tires!

Some pictures:

Ecsta XS fronts that came off...just the right tread depth for dry grip and responsiveness! Really boring and way too high grip levels for daily driving though...

Also got new center caps, really didn't like the ones that came stock with the Fujins...

Front and rear shots

Last edited by Vracer111; 06-11-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Vracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote