follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2020, 01:03 PM   #1905
Flasher
Smartass

Drives: Toyota GT86 & Impreza STi
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Somethings off with my kit. The car suddenly has much more power. After checking in the Torque app, I'm seeing 1 bar / 14.5 psi. It should be around 0.5 bar / 7 psi as I'm still on stock internals.

Suggestions?
MODS |O.Z Leggera 18 x 8,5|Front:Tarox B32|Rear:OEM+EBC GreenStuff|Braided Lines|Milltek CAT-Back & Overpipe|Motiv Concepts catted Frontpipe| AVO Turbo|AVO breather tank|Mishimoto Oilcooler|Exedy Stage 1 Clutch|BeatSonic Sharkfin|TRD Ducktail|TRD Aero cover|Valenti blinker
Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #1906
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
Somethings off with my kit. The car suddenly has much more power. After checking in the Torque app, I'm seeing 1 bar / 14.5 psi. It should be around 0.5 bar / 7 psi as I'm still on stock internals.

Suggestions?
Wastegate hose got old and broke came off, actuator diaphragm leaking.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Flasher (08-05-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #1907
TurboBRZ_UAE

Drives: 2015 GT86 SC; 2014 BRZ turbo (sold)
Quote:

Suggestions?
Sounds like the wastegate actuator.

Do you have an electronic boost controller?
TurboBRZ_UAE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurboBRZ_UAE For This Useful Post:
Flasher (08-05-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #1908
TurboBRZ_UAE

Quote:
Hey guys,

having my AVO Kit now for 6 years and ~100k km / 63k miles it is still going strong.

Recently I've noticed a loud surging noise when under load & boost. I haven't noticed a drop in power and also Torque doesn't indicate any loss in boost pressure (tuned to 0.6 bar / ~8,7 psi). But it does sound like a boost leak.

I checked all the accessible tubing and tightened some of the clamps, but the noise is still there. So I removed the original airbox, connected an old can with a valve and put the whole system under pressure with an air compressor.

Video:

I've observed three things:

1. the tubing connecting the blow-off valve to the intake pipe seems to leak slightly

2. the system didn't hold the pressure, but I haven't cranked the engine to TDC, so the valves probably weren't shut

3. oil was burbling from the oil filter adapter probably due to 2.

Now: is that leaky connection between the BOV and the intake piping an issue?

Are there any known spots for boost leaks?

Any other ideas on why I hear air surging while under boost?
Hi Flasher, did you end up figuring this out?

I suspect I've had a PCV leak in mine, so replaced the block fitting with a WRX PCV valve which I think has solved the issue.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:30 AM   #1909
Flasher
Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Wastegate hose got old and broke came off, actuator diaphragm leaking.
Thanks for the repsonse - it was actually the hose to the EBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBRZ_UAE View Post
Sounds like the wastegate actuator.

Do you have an electronic boost controller?
Yes - the tubing failed at the connection to the EBC, bleeding all air to atmossphere and therefore keeping the WG shut at all times

Quote:
Hi Flasher, did you end up figuring this out?

I suspect I've had a PCV leak in mine, so replaced the block fitting with a WRX PCV valve which I think has solved the issue.
Tbh I have not further investigated. What I didn't know at the time is that you need to have the engine at TDC to keep all valves shut. I didn't do that, so I imagine it was the cause of the bubbling noises in the oilpan.

----

Completely different question: while investigating my boost leak issue I found, that one of the gaskets running from header to the turbo has failed. I have a new set of gaskets ready to be installed, but I figured I could also heat wrap the header while I'm on it.

Are the headers prone to cracking when heat wrapping them? I know that some headers will crack due to the additional heat going into them after wrapping.
MODS |O.Z Leggera 18 x 8,5|Front:Tarox B32|Rear:OEM+EBC GreenStuff|Braided Lines|Milltek CAT-Back & Overpipe|Motiv Concepts catted Frontpipe| AVO Turbo|AVO breather tank|Mishimoto Oilcooler|Exedy Stage 1 Clutch|BeatSonic Sharkfin|TRD Ducktail|TRD Aero cover|Valenti blinker
Old 08-05-2020, 05:37 AM   #1910
TurboBRZ_UAE

Quote:
Thanks for the repsonse - it was actually the hose to the EBC

Yes - the tubing failed at the connection to the EBC, bleeding all air to atmossphere and therefore keeping the WG shut at all times

Tbh I have not further investigated. What I didn't know at the time is that you need to have the engine at TDC to keep all valves shut. I didn't do that, so I imagine it was the cause of the bubbling noises in the oilpan.

----

Completely different question: while investigating my boost leak issue I found, that one of the gaskets running from header to the turbo has failed. I have a new set of gaskets ready to be installed, but I figured I could also heat wrap the header while I'm on it.

Are the headers prone to cracking when heat wrapping them? I know that some headers will crack due to the additional heat going into them after wrapping.
You'll find different responses. Mine have been wrapped for years without cracking, others have had problems with the headers warping after a few heat cycles.

If you have heat issues or do long track sessions, I'd be doing everything I can to keep a handle on heat.

On the topic of heat management, I've just picked up a T25/28 turbo blanket. Fingers crossed it fits.

I've ordered one of the bigger Avo 2049 turbochargers as mine has started pissing oil out of the seals. Does anyone know what turbo rebuild kits I could use for the 1849? Would be nice to have a spare turbo in case this one fails as well.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk
Flasher (08-05-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #1911
Flasher
Smartass

Quote:
You'll find different responses. Mine have been wrapped for years without cracking, others have had problems with the headers warping after a few heat cycles.

If you have heat issues or do long track sessions, I'd be doing everything I can to keep a handle on heat.

On the topic of heat management, I've just picked up a T25/28 turbo blanket. Fingers crossed it fits.

I've ordered one of the bigger Avo 2049 turbochargers as mine has started pissing oil out of the seals. Does anyone know what turbo rebuild kits I could use for the 1849? Would be nice to have a spare turbo in case this one fails as well.

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk
Think I'm gonna pass on the heat wrap then and just pulled the trigger on a DEI turbo blanket.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #1912
TurboBRZ_UAE

Interesting issue I've had recently guys, would love some input.

TLDR:
New turbo doesn't make more power with more boost. Would like input before going for another dyno session.

Story time:
Background is I've spun a bearing and have just had a rebuild: Pistons, rods, etc. were fine, however the local machine shop said my crank not quite straight. It's been buttoned back together with new bearings, new crank, and some minor oiling mods (pickup, baffle, and spacing out the stock temperature sensor to not impede flow).

During the reassembly, the original turbo started leaking, which led to my purchasing a new AVO 2049 turbo with billet compressor wheel (apparently a TD05-20g by another name). Thus I now have an ooooold Stage 2 kit (from like 2014) with a new stage 3/4 turbo. During this time took the opportunity to install injectors and meth to try and take advantage of the bigger turbo.

We went and did a first dyno tune, targetting 0.8bar/12psi as a conservative tune without meth. On a Mustang dyno, sea level, with 40C / 104F temperature, it read 245 whp / 265lbft. Tuner said fuelling was spot on with AFR and no signs of knock (UAE 98 RON fuel). Video below (apologies for cutting off the screen shot):

Honestly, numbers a bit disappointing. But also a bit weird because I thought you typically see a bigger number on whp than torque, but I digress. Note: I have bought this car already with the turbo so don't have a baseline

We then tried with higher boost, without meth. Ended up at 1.2bar (almost 18 psi). Weirdly it put down less power (220whp at 18psi - really???).

Additionally, the boost seemed to taper off as the revs climbed. With an EBC and this size turbo it really shouldn't be running out of steam.

Then we ran out of time on the dyno so kept it at the 12psi map.

Unfortunately I don't have the dyno charts to back this up.

I've been trying to think through what to solve before booking more dyno time, and I'm honestly at a loss at to whats up. I've been thinking anything from a boost leak, to heat soak, to restrictive piping (still running the original hard pipes and IC from the old kit, and a 2.5" exhaust throughout), to bad fuel.

Any clues that the collective minds on here can lend?

Thank you!
andrew4554 (04-24-2021)
Old 10-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #1913
Pyrium

Drives: Raven 2016 FR-S
Garage
Power before scavenge pump failed.

Hi all! So with the Larger Avo Intercooler and Billet turbo, Avo Oil cooler, e85, 14 PSI (Ptuning EBC), JDL 3 Inch Overpipe and dual resonated mid pipe, 3 inch Perrin resonated catback, 17+ intake manifold, ID 1000cc injectors, DW300 fuel pump, Radium catch can, K&N drop in filter, and ACT clutch with prolight flywheel I made 340 whp and 279 torque on a Mustang Dyno.

The scavenge pump failed and I had to order a new one from AVO. I am also installing the Denstoj rocker arm retaining kit. When we opened up the built engine (it has stock compression), it had the old school rocker arms, but GSC valve springs installed. I have a set of newer rocker arms, so those will be going in too. I will post images as soon as I get the FTP back up. I have a feeling I will be making a little bit less once the engine is back together.
Pyrium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pyrium For This Useful Post:
TurboBRZ_UAE (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #1914
TurboBRZ_UAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrium View Post
Hi all! So with the Larger Avo Intercooler and Billet turbo, Avo Oil cooler, e85, 14 PSI (Ptuning EBC), JDL 3 Inch Overpipe and dual resonated mid pipe, 3 inch Perrin resonated catback, 17+ intake manifold, ID 1000cc injectors, DW300 fuel pump, Radium catch can, K&N drop in filter, and ACT clutch with prolight flywheel I made 340 whp and 279 torque on a Mustang Dyno.

The scavenge pump failed and I had to order a new one from AVO. I am also installing the Denstoj rocker arm retaining kit. When we opened up the built engine (it has stock compression), it had the old school rocker arms, but GSC valve springs installed. I have a set of newer rocker arms, so those will be going in too. I will post images as soon as I get the FTP back up. I have a feeling I will be making a little bit less once the engine is back together.

Thanks for sharing, this is good context, and 340 wheel on Mustang is very respectable! Seems that the e85, intercooler & charge pipes, and 3" exhaust makes all the difference.

Do you have images of the dyno charts?
Old 10-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #1915
Pyrium

Garage
I do, but I don't have an FTP to link it to. Let me try this...
Old 10-22-2020, 06:51 PM   #1916
Grady

Garage
Quote:
I do, but I don't have an FTP to link it to. Let me try this...
That puts you right in line with what others have done. Good numbers and a good kit.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:52 AM   #1917
Pyrium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
That puts you right in line with what others have done. Good numbers and a good kit.
Thanks, you showed me your kit and I was intrigued. Also, the catless header ended up making 183 HP pump and 192 HP on e85 (Tomei UEL gave me 193 and 202).
Old 10-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #1918
Grady

Garage
Quote:
Thanks, you showed me your kit and I was intrigued. Also, the catless header ended up making 183 HP pump and 192 HP on e85 (Tomei UEL gave me 193 and 202).
That is good on the gutted header for dollar per HP. My kit has been just working great, no issues. I am limiting mine to about 8 PSI max. I can get to 10 easy but do not have any of the upgraded cold sided so probably would not get much more than that. I do know the full 3 inch exhaust helped a lot. I am working on a Jekyll and Hyde axle back right now and will have almost everything for a 2nd one if you are interested. It is made from 2 Nameless axle backs. PM me if you are interested.

Tags
avo, avoturboworld